Educational

Author Topic: Why do all the cults have to have this fake outer circle look?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Taimaat

• Fresh Meat
I noticed something about cults.  Its like when you are on the outside, it looks one way, but inside its completely different.  The people on the inside are supposed to be "initiated" or something. I know people do this to try and escape things like social persecution and the law, but still, I find it hard because how do you know if a group is worth joining if you don't know what it is all about anyway.
The law of nature threefold
thou do unto others three times
what they have done unto thee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, Love Under Will.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Why do all the cults have to have this fake outer circle look?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
A lot of them nobody would join if they really knew what they were getting into  hence you don't tell them till they can't or likely won't go back
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:09:36 AM »
The fake outer circle probably exudes mystery to others and so makes them want to join so they are in on the mystery themselves. Then when they get in, they find that it all wasn't what it was cracked up to be.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »
yah it's all bullshit inside. but outside it looks a bull. :P a juicy bull.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:48:01 AM »
Is probably like most glossy social circles.
Womma entity

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 04:55:26 AM »
A common modus operandi for cults is to cut off the cult members from the outside by fostering an 'us and them' mentality.  Social connections with non-cult members are typically discouraged, as these can threaten the dominance of the cult's world-view in the indoctrinated individual.  Scientology attempts to slowly ease recruits into the cult mindset, since their core beliefs are too radical to find purchase in many individuals who've not already been heavily indoctrinated in preparation for them.  By the time Scientologists are presented with the 'inner truths' of Scientology, they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on 'auditing', put in thousands of hours of work for the Church of Scientology and have been cut off from their non-Scientologist friends and family, making them highly susceptible to even completely bizarre stories about genocidal alien overlords, H-bombs, volcanoes and superpowers that'll emerge if they get rid of enough alien ghosts that are clinging to them.

The line between a cult and a major organisation like a religion or radical political movement can be quite blurred, too.  Many major religions and some political parties act in much the same way as cults, discouraging their members from communicating with non-members or leaving the organisation.  In Islam, it's often a death sentence to leave, communist parties have often made it illegal to not be a member in countries where they've taken power and most religions have a strong peer pressure component to control members to varying degrees.  That's not to say that all cults/religions/political parties behave in this way, but it's very common for them to do so.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
A common modus operandi for cults is to cut off the cult members from the outside by fostering an 'us and them' mentality.  Social connections with non-cult members are typically discouraged, as these can threaten the dominance of the cult's world-view in the indoctrinated individual.  Scientology attempts to slowly ease recruits into the cult mindset, since their core beliefs are too radical to find purchase in many individuals who've not already been heavily indoctrinated in preparation for them.  By the time Scientologists are presented with the 'inner truths' of Scientology, they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on 'auditing', put in thousands of hours of work for the Church of Scientology and have been cut off from their non-Scientologist friends and family, making them highly susceptible to even completely bizarre stories about genocidal alien overlords, H-bombs, volcanoes and superpowers that'll emerge if they get rid of enough alien ghosts that are clinging to them.

The line between a cult and a major organisation like a religion or radical political movement can be quite blurred, too.  Many major religions and some political parties act in much the same way as cults, discouraging their members from communicating with non-members or leaving the organisation.  In Islam, it's often a death sentence to leave, communist parties have often made it illegal to not be a member in countries where they've taken power and most religions have a strong peer pressure component to control members to varying degrees.  That's not to say that all cults/religions/political parties behave in this way, but it's very common for them to do so.

Agree, also qualifications, specifically degrees work this way too. (IMHO) it is not a coincidence they are named so.
Womma entity

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »
My father-in-law and by bother-in-law are both scientologists.

Fuck I hate that organisation.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 07:01:17 AM »

Agree, also qualifications, specifically degrees work this way too. (IMHO) it is not a coincidence they are named so.

What scary-ass university did you go to?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 07:27:26 AM »

:headbang2: word :headbang2:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »

:headbang2: word :headbang2:

Says the girl who's waiting for the aliens to come.  :P

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
i'm anti-scientology and pro-alien. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »

They are all like that, especially the ones who have the most in say what the rest of them teach (although it's mostly the way that they teach). So I guess I'm talking about Oxbridge in the UK and I think it's Yale and Princeton in US.
Womma entity

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »

They are all like that, especially the ones who have the most in say what the rest of them teach (although it's mostly the way that they teach). So I guess I'm talking about Oxbridge in the UK and I think it's Yale and Princeton in US.

I went to a pretty ordinary university; not one where you have be a genius or have rich and influential parents to get into, so there wasn't much of an elitist mentality to it.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »
My father-in-law and by bother-in-law are both scientologists.

Fuck I hate that organisation.

Is that a Freudian slip? :laugh:

But I agree. They're nuts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein