Author Topic: I don't believe in the laws of science.  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Taimaat

• Fresh Meat
I don't believe in the laws of science.
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
I've broken several irrefutable “laws” of science. I think when people see me do it, they just pretend I'm crazy, or that it never happened, even though I remember it.  Also, when people are with me, things they would not normally forget about, they start to forget especially if I am having a bad day with the executive dysfunction.
The law of nature threefold
thou do unto others three times
what they have done unto thee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, Love Under Will.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: I don't believe in the laws of science.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
I've broken several irrefutable “laws” of science. I think when people see me do it, they just pretend I'm crazy, or that it never happened, even though I remember it.  Also, when people are with me, things they would not normally forget about, they start to forget especially if I am having a bad day with the executive dysfunction.

Some possible explanations:

1.  You have a misunderstanding about science, it doesn't claim what you think it claims and you break no 'laws'.

2.  You really are crazy.

3.  Science doesn't work, and technological development occurs through some other mechanism such as luck, magic or divine revelation.

What 'laws' do you claim to have broken?  How did you accomplish this?  Can you give us a demonstration or some other hard evidence to back up your claims?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:25:11 PM »
 :laugh:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:08:15 AM »
you forgot "an it harm none" in your sig.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »
 :indeed:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:36:21 AM »
What laws did you break?

I sometimes have similar views on laws. I mean, For some reason I just don't really believe in dark matter, I think Newton's law of gravity is wrong.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:39:18 AM »
What laws did you break?

I sometimes have similar views on laws. I mean, For some reason I just don't really believe in dark matter, I think Newton's law of gravity is wrong.
Your signature photo it a good example of how gravity works whats wrong with it :P
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:43:12 AM »
What laws did you break?

Your signature photo it a good example of how gravity works whats wrong with it :P

I'm aware how it works, I just think something in his equations are significantly wrong. It might be right, I dunno, but Why aren't the galaxies flying apart? I mean, Dark matter just sounds so extravagant..

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »
I think Newton's law of gravity is wrong.

O rly?  :toporly:

Why don't you test that law and jump off a tall building?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:48:54 AM »
i don't believe in dark matter either. i think it's actually visible and we just can't see it. that would make it just matter. :zombiefuck:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:51:11 AM »
i don't believe in dark matter either. i think it's actually visible and we just can't see it. that would make it just matter. :zombiefuck:

There is no evidence for it existing.

Offline choccybiccy

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:54:04 AM »
Science deals with the external world (objective). Magic deals with the internal world (subjective).

We have no real proof there is an external world as we will only ever experience it subjectively.

It is folly to bring magic into the external world and folly to use science to rule your life.

Me likey folly.
Womma entity

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:10 AM »
What laws did you break?

1.  Dark matter isn't an 'irrefutable scientific law'; it's a theory which was developed to explain why we see more gravitational force than there's visible matter to account for.  Without a theory of dark matter, you'll need some other theory to explain why the stars in galaxies orbit the galaxy so quickly, why the angular speed of their orbit is fairly constant as you move out from the core and why globular clusters don't fly apart.  It's possible that such a theory will emerge, as gravity is still a poorly understood phenomenon.

2.  Newton's law of Universal Gravitation isn't an 'irrefutable scientific law' either; it's a heuristic based on observations, which makes no attempt to explain how gravity works.  This is why laws are considered to be lesser constructs than theories, as theories provide an explanation for why a phenomenon behaves the way it's observed to behave.  Still, it was able to make accurate predictions about such things as the orbit of Neptune based on the gravitational disturbance of Uranus.

Newton's law of Universal Gravitation couldn't explain the orbit of Mercury, however, and thus it was superseded by Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which explained gravity in terms of deformations in the fabric of space caused by concentrations of mass.  This theory was still incomplete, however (still not an 'irrefutable law'), as it didn't provide a particle model of gravity and is thus incompatible with the Standard Model.  Work is ongoing in creating a Grand Unified Theory which will unite quantum mechanics and relativity, but in the mean time, both theories provide very strong and rigorously tested models of the universe when applied within their stated limitations.

In fact, there are no irrefutable laws in science.  If you observe that apples fall upwards on Sundays during the second full moon of the month while an orangutan opens an umbrella under a ladder, gather some evidence and get the scientific community working on a theory of gravity which accounts for your observations.  The whole point of the scientific method is that existing theories must be revised to account for new data which contradicts them.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:09:12 AM »
Science deals with the external world (objective). Magic deals with the internal world (subjective).

in theory...  ;)

We have no real proof there is an external world as we will only ever experience it subjectively.

It is folly to bring magic into the external world and folly to use science to rule your life.

Me likey folly.

:thumbup:

me likey quotey.  :laugh:

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:29 AM »
I am well aware that dark matter is not a law, penis.. er, peter  ;)