Author Topic: Duck and cover  (Read 367 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: Duck and cover
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
dude, parts, can i borrow your geiger? i got this old rolex with uridium or something in the face. i want to see how active it is after almost 40 years.

They only measure higher doses I have yet to get anting to register  I am going to try it on an old military radio I have with radium paint on the dials with the cover off next

You might try the nearest smoke detector.  Those things have a small amount of americium in them.

As for Georgia schools' fire and tornado drills...  I did a year and a half in one of Georgia's public schools.  For tornado drills they had everyone go into the hall and do something similar to duck-and-cover.  All that did was give me a tornado phobia that lasted until years later in another state when a small tornado actually ripped through the front yard before blowing holes in a neighbor's roof.  (My stupid aunt was visiting at the time.  She had an even bigger storm phobia and it was worth it to see her all scared shitless.   >:D  Cruel, you might ask?  This is the bitch who tried demonic exorcism on my cousin, we're talking about.)

I was in an elementary school in georgia when an actual tornado hit. Yeah, staying in the hallways kept everyone safe, but hundreds sobbing in terror in an enclosed space didn't leave me with happy memories of tornadoes either. I'm starting to hate them even more now because the news stations won't shut the fuck up about the storms recently. Christ they act like we had a fucking Katrina on our hands last week.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
They sure did!  They drove me crazy Saturday; they were so paranoid from Friday that they wouldn't shut up with the warnings. 
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
They sure did!  They drove me crazy Saturday; they were so paranoid from Friday that they wouldn't shut up with the warnings. 

Hurricanes, tropical storms; nothing. But if a tornado occurs during a big basketball game, the shit hits the fan.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law