Author Topic: Organ Donors  (Read 2302 times)

Sophgay

Organ Donors
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »
I don't know much about the system in the US or other countries, but in the UK we still have an opt-in system
I haven't been following the news much over the last few months (depression and a load of random shit), so I don't know of any development with this, but there;s been suggestions of changing it to an opt-out system, whereby everyone would automatically be put on the donor register, and those who didn't want to (for religious reasons etc), could then be taken off

Doesn't that make more sense though? I don't see why it isn't already an opt-out system
tbh I don't think adults should even be able to opt out at all, but I can't see that happening

Are you on the donor register and/or carry a donor card?
I have been since I was about 15, and have a card somewhere

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Organ Donors
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »
Mine says Non donor at the moment, I got my license printed at a rather young age.

I'm weird like that, I will get it changed eventually. I seem to have too much empathy for my organs after I die, and I don't want them working hard to keep a horrible person alive. I know it sounds stupid, but that's how my mind works.  :-[

Sophgay

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:23:18 AM »
I used to be 100% against people not being organ donors, as I couldn't see the logic behind it - "dead people have no rights..." "no one needs their liver when they're rotting in the ground..."
but then after starbuline died i changed my mind - i can understand why family members wouldn't want that
but for me, i don't care what they do with me when i'm dead, so i might as well be of some use. although my organs will probably be fucked by then anyway :laugh:

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26:09 AM »
I used to be 100% against people not being organ donors, as I couldn't see the logic behind it - "dead people have no rights..." "no one needs their liver when they're rotting in the ground..."
but then after starbuline died i changed my mind - i can understand why family members wouldn't want that
but for me, i don't care what they do with me when i'm dead, so i might as well be of some use. although my organs will probably be fucked by then anyway :laugh:

You have a point though, you wouldn't care what happened to them after you died. Thats why I will get mine changed to donor. My family are all donors. I have ridiculous empathy for objects, and I also feel sorry for them. (Partly the reason why I don't drink much alcohol).

Sophgay

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:29:55 AM »
i have weird empathy for objects
especially cars
i smile at cars that drive past us when i'm in one... they all have personalities to me
that's why i hate throwing things away
or if i see something cute in a shop, with a face on it, i want to buy it and feel really bad that i don't, as if i've hurt its feelings. i don't have this empathy for people though :laugh:
but then i am pretty weird i guess

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:31:25 AM »
i have weird empathy for objects
especially cars
i smile at cars that drive past us when i'm in one... they all have personalities to me
that's why i hate throwing things away
or if i see something cute in a shop, with a face on it, i want to buy it and feel really bad that i don't, as if i've hurt its feelings. i don't have this empathy for people though :laugh:
but then i am pretty weird i guess

I understand. When I was a kid I wasted all my pocket money on a toy cat because its face looked sad an lonely and it was the only one left. I have little empathy for people, but often I surprise myself. In my opinion most people are able to take care of themselves.

Sophgay

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I feel bad about my lack of empathy for people sometimes, like there's something seriously wrong with me for not caring. even though i know in my head that an object doesn't have "feelings" and doesn't give a shit if i take it home or not, i still feel bad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
In the state I live in CT they put it on your drivers license.

Empathy for objects I have that really bad most of the time I could give two shits about people but objects and animals it's like they speak to me :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Sophgay

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
its like that with me
if i walk past a random person on the street, i dont give  fuck about them, nd sometimes just wish thyd fuck off out of my way, or i get pissed off at their annoying accents or something... but if i see something in a toy shop, or a picture of a dog, i feel bad if i don't smile at it

but i can;t be too obvious or i'll look crazy

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »
I am an organ donor and have been one since I got my license.

I don't care what happens to my organs after I die, as long as they are of use to someone it is fine.   
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
I am an organ donor and have been one since I got my license.

I don't care what happens to my organs after I die, as long as they are of use to someone it is fine.   

That was always my thoughts I mean what do I need them for if I'm dead

its like that with me
if i walk past a random person on the street, i dont give  fuck about them, nd sometimes just wish thyd fuck off out of my way, or i get pissed off at their annoying accents or something... but if i see something in a toy shop, or a picture of a dog, i feel bad if i don't smile at it

but i can;t be too obvious or i'll look crazy

It one of my reasons for my large collections of just about everything I feel bad for it so I don't get rid if it or if no one's buying it I do

George Bernard Shaw

Sophgay

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
a psychologist once told me about how a lot of autistic people get this kind of thing with places as well as objects. maybe it's related to that. i get that strongly with some places

Sophgay

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
oh god i'm doing an "Is this an AS thing?"  :laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
oh god i'm doing an "Is this an AS thing?"  :laugh:
:asthing:   :laugh:

I get it with places too.  Another wired one for me is until a few years ago I never sold any of my stuff now I do at the flea market but if the person comes off badly to me I give him a really high price 

George Bernard Shaw

richard

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
im not a donor. im basically freaked out by the idea :P