Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 400 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Earthquake
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:50 PM »
I am on the East Coast and we really don't get them a all here just wondering what it was like

I was in upstate NY when we had a 5.3-5.4 richter scale quake centered near Plattsburg about 7-8 years ago.  It happened at 6am and I was awake and looking out my window at the sky.  When I heard what sounded like a big rushing wind, like the kind that whips up before a thunderstorm arrives.  The only thing was the trees weren't moving.  The sound passes like a freight train and then next thing the house of my inlaws shakes for 7-10 seconds like somebody grabbed it and shook it.  (I was on the second floor of wood beam framed house)  Then everything stopped and there was dead silence.  The epicenter was up near Plattsburg, NY.

The earthquake was felt all over New England, it even shook walls and windows and knocked things off shelves as far away as Maine.  we heard all about it when we got back home.  Of course I was in the middle of it.  My daughter came out of the adjacent room wide eyed, but, not scared, we both felt it was cool to feel our first really good size earthquake.  It was my third, but the first two were pretty small and short.

Well there have been a few in the Stamford Ct area but they where the type that most people don't notice but they make the paper I never noticed any  of them

We had one here about four years ago. I was standing on the ground in a city park waiting for my next photo sitting to show up for an on-location shoot in the woods. I think it was a four point something, but I felt it and heard it. Even if I had not felt it I would have been aware that something was up, because it freaked the fuck out of the birds and squirrels and all the insects went silent.

Most people who were inside buildings knew nothing about it, though. It was extremely minor, but it hit the radio within minutes with full reports.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
The  closest thing I have ever experienced to one was being near where they where blasting rock
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 05:30:54 AM »
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:40 AM »
That would be a weird feeling, driving during an earthquake.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Sophgay

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »
I've never felt one :(

ozymandias

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 06:50:24 AM »
Don't feel bad, a friend of mine and fellow volcano fanatic has never felt one either.   And he's been to Hawaii and took a sample of fresh lava from a lava flow.  So I may be ahead of him in earthquakes, but, he's been to a live volcano and all I'v ever seen are dead ones. :(

Most earthquakes in the UK are too small to be noticeable, they can sound like a truck going buy or thunder.  Thats the way most are in the Northeast US.  The day of the big one in upstate NY, my wife was taking a a walk down our country unpaved road at the same time (here in MAine) and she never felt or heard a thing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:53:52 AM by ozymandias »

Sophgay

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »
When I went to Naples when I was a kid, we were going to go up Vesuvius, but we never did
I want to go back there though
I was obsessed with Romans at the time :P