Educational

Author Topic: Can Aspies go to parties and be married?  (Read 4072 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Can Aspies go to parties and be married?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:51:54 AM »
I'm prolly NT but wanted to chime in anyway:  I think I'd rather go to a church and commit to a lifetime of parties, every single day, for the rest of my life, whether or not I was feeling well enough, and whether or not I could afford it, until it killed me, than make the same commitment to an SO.

...that IS what the marriage vows say, right?   :toporly:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:53:30 AM by JLPMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »
I can go to parties, but I don't always enjoy them.  If I get really wasted, it helps distract me from the suffocating mass of humanity at a party or social situation.   

I don't see marriage as something that is going to happen, so I don't really worry about it.  Seems like a lot of bullshit to me, as far as the whole situation goes.  I don't want anything to do with kids at the moment either.

Aspies can go to parties and get married, that is just a generalization.

PMSElle:  I am pretty sure a lifetime of partying all day, every day would kill me pretty fast.   At least the type of partying I am used to.   No thanks to that.   What church are you talking about?   
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »
Go to parties, yes. Married, yes. We had a party when I was married.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
well obviously if you can function almost normally or whatever any arseburgers you have shouldnt really be called arseburgers. i have a feeling its the current hot diagnosis to have and thats why you think you have it :toporly:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »
I can go to parties, but I don't always enjoy them.  If I get really wasted, it helps distract me from the suffocating mass of humanity at a party or social situation.   

I don't see marriage as something that is going to happen, so I don't really worry about it.  Seems like a lot of bullshit to me, as far as the whole situation goes.  I don't want anything to do with kids at the moment either.

PMSElle:  I am pretty sure a lifetime of partying all day, every day would kill me pretty fast.   At least the type of partying I am used to.   No thanks to that.   What church are you talking about?   
Well, actually, to my knoweldge, there are no churches that have ceremonies where you commit your life to partying.  Unfortunately.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

Well, actually, to my knoweldge, there are no churches that have ceremonies where you commit your life to partying.  Unfortunately.
Damn.
:P   Internets are super serious.

richard

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »
:laugh: :plus:

Kosmonaut

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
They can go to parties, but not get married.  :orly: :toporly:

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
Yes.
I am sociable at parties - in that I manage and am not a complete recluse.
I get more social the more I drink.
At the same time I am normally laughing along not causing the laughs & same with fights or trouble.
I dance and drink.
I single out newer people for one on one conversations rather than join a group chat.
I like parties. I think alcohol contributes to most people not seeing anything wrong with my behaviour (Booze is a great leveler)
I say goodbye to everyone and hug them all when I leave. Their last impression is that I was a good guest and I make the invite next time.

Marriage been there done that
You sound like me at a party, Les.   :)

I love going to parties, not giving parties!  I can't imagine hosting any type of event - I couldn't manage it.  I would be a complete wreck.

As for marriage, my husband is socially avoidant and shy, a quiet and solitary person, although he's very empathetic and good with people.  I'm always attracted to people who have qualities which I lack.
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
I'm prolly NT but wanted to chime in anyway:  I think I'd rather go to a church and commit to a lifetime of parties, every single day, for the rest of my life, whether or not I was feeling well enough, and whether or not I could afford it, until it killed me, than make the same commitment to an SO.

...that IS what the marriage vows say, right?   :toporly:
Were your parents that bad?

Parties freak me the fuck out... but once I found a nice quiet place to sit and drink and get a little tipsy, I was marginal at best.  I just think it's sad that people will limit themselves because of fear, that's no way to live.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
well obviously if you can function almost normally or whatever any arseburgers you have shouldnt really be called arseburgers. i have a feeling its the current hot diagnosis to have and thats why you think you have it :toporly:

Nothing like one shoe fits all approach to understanding Aspergers. I mean if you know what one person is like who has Aspergers then it stands to reason the rest are clones of that person and have the same traits, severities, life experience, coping mechanisms, intelligence level, culture....
Or it might be you have shown your own ignorance with a non-thought out sweeping statement here, rather than make a worthy contribution to the discussion.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Sophgay

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
not me

richard

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
So frankly, i dont see half the motherfuckers here that this pertains too, but please fill me in on wich of these you are you telsa and sir faggotfuck

Diagnostic Criteria For 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
lack of social or emotional reciprocity
B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning
D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia

:pizza:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »
not me

NO fuckking parties, but I enjoy being married to my wife most of the time.

Most other women were less tolerant of my salaciously raw and scurrilously ribald eccentricities and other relationships often went quickly from "I like this" to "What can I get out of this before I ditch the bitch?"

Parties are out for the most part, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »
Oh I get it, someone who meets the criteria, to not have AS anymore, go to a party and bam they are cured.  ::)