Educational

Author Topic: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 02:57:07 PM »
what, a whole one?

duncvis

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
Depends how fat it was...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 03:03:14 PM »
or how hungry you were.

or, obviously, whether or not it was in a piiiiiiiie.

;)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2006, 03:25:39 PM »
I find pork a bit too sweet and salty as it is; I doubt I'd like human much.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2006, 03:43:32 PM »
If I cut out meat, there'd be very little left to me that I could eat.  It's something that agrees very well with me, and I like it a lot.  I also believe that it's an important and healthful part of my diet, and that cutting it out would be detrimental to my health.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2006, 09:30:57 PM »
In the Bible Daniel shows being a vegetarian is good for You. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2006, 09:34:32 PM »

The bible also describes someone walking on water, coming back from the dead and rising to heaven, so I don't think it's really the best source of scientific information in the 21st century.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2006, 10:41:04 PM »

The bible also describes someone walking on water, coming back from the dead and rising to heaven, so I don't think it's really the best source of scientific information in the 21st century.
I was just relating a story not trying to be scientific or anything like that. ::)
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2006, 03:24:07 AM »

indeed.  but i don't think it cuts the mustard, to argue that lentils and bread etc. are a digestive nightmare when you eat meat, which is well known to be so, eh?  not trying to score points here, by the way, just interested in your reasoning.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2006, 05:58:30 AM »

indeed.  but i don't think it cuts the mustard, to argue that lentils and bread etc. are a digestive nightmare when you eat meat, which is well known to be so, eh?  not trying to score points here, by the way, just interested in your reasoning.

What sort of digestive problems does meat cause, and under what conditions?  The only times I've had heartburn from meat has been when it was corned beef or some similar semi-meat horror, and while I'm aware that meat can be associated with constipation and stinking faeces, that's a complete non-issue in a balanced diet with lots of fibre from fruit and veg.  It contains no peptide inhibitors as grains do, no silicon spine armour to irritate the GI tract, no toxins or antifeedants... I personally find it a most agreeable substance, and see no reason why other people would have difficulty with it, unless they'd charred it to a cinder, ate it with plant foods high in peptide-inhibitors, had no fibre in their diet to accompany it or commited some other similar error that's got nothing to do with the digestability of meat itself.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2006, 03:22:47 PM »
takes fucking ages to move right through the digestive tract, apparently, and causes all sorts of disease and shit, even with a balanced diet to back it up. 

anyway, one man's meat is another man's poison, or - as you put it - "Some people do fine on these new foods, but others lack adaptations to them.  One person's hearty breakfast is another person's heart burn."

i have no argument with anyone who wants to eat meat themselves, as long as it's organic and humanely farmed, but i do take issue with people thrusting their dietary facism down my throat, ta.  ;)

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »
Meat seems to trot along my digestive tract at quite an impressive rate, carried along by all the other stuff I eat.  If anyone has it sitting in their colon for a week, an increase of fibre and fluids would seem to be the answer.  It's not like the meat can cling on while the rest of the stuff passes by; if you're shitting daily or more, it's going to exit your GI tract in a timely fashion.  I'm a 2-3 times daily sort myself.

Anyway, good luck with your own dietary choices.  I'm sure they suit your individual needs quite well.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
lol.  probably not, to be honest.  but then my psychological difficulties with food in general tend to outweigh my physical needs.  if i have to think too carefully about what i eat, more so than i already do, i'd be suicidal within days (it's happened before).  and it's bad enough trying not to overeat since stopping smoking, frankly.

not a happy meeting of concepts, me and food.  :(

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2006, 04:14:04 PM »
lol.  probably not, to be honest.  but then my psychological difficulties with food in general tend to outweigh my physical needs.  if i have to think too carefully about what i eat, more so than i already do, i'd be suicidal within days (it's happened before).  and it's bad enough trying not to overeat since stopping smoking, frankly.

not a happy meeting of concepts, me and food.  :(

You drink coffee?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Triste

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 06:40:26 PM »
but i do take issue with people thrusting their dietary facism down my throat, ta.  ;)
Agreed. 

Also can relate to your post about psychological food issues.

My food choices revolve around the following:
1.  Cost 
2.  My inability to eat simple carbs
3.  MS's need for large amounts of protein due to large muscle mass and physically demanding job.
4.  Living in Hawaii with a year-round growing season, we have a garden as well as locally-grown produce available for cheap at the farmer's markets.

So we eat meat and lots of local produce.  I'm getting hungry now...