Author Topic: Is there a difference  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Is there a difference
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Between RL and the internets?

No.

Seems a bit extreme. Care to
elaborate?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
It's just that most of this particular debate is predictable. So I figured I'd cut to the chase.

When people ask this question, they usually mean "Are my internet relationships less valuable than my IRL ones?" or "Is the internet a simulation of real life, rather than a part of real life?" My answer to both is no.

Of course there are superficial differences between online and offline communication, the same way there are differences between holding a conversation in person, over radio waves, via letters, over a phone, etc. But my intent is to circumvent the value judgements people put on them, and the real-vs-fake straw man.

You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
It annoys me when people think they're safe to be mean behind the internet...  being an asshole on the internet is the same as being an asshole in real life.  You just can't see the person you're being an asshole to, and therefore they feel OK about it.  That's wrong.  People on the net are still people, and it IS the real world.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
It annoys me when people think they're safe to be mean behind the internet...  being an asshole on the internet is the same as being an asshole in real life.  You just can't see the person you're being an asshole to, and therefore they feel OK about it.  That's wrong.  People on the net are still people, and it IS the real world.
Yes.  I'm getting a little sick of all the meanness, especially when it affects people I care about.
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »

Don't worry. I'm this way, IRL too.  :zoinks:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 10:36:34 PM »
My ex played WOW or was it Diablo, who cares, well he play on the computer all day long and never get off except for when he went to bed, ate and went to the bathroom. Never did anything else.

I think there is a difference between real life and online. People pretend all the time online vs they can't pretend in real life to be another age like a 45 year old can't pretend to be a 13 year old because it be obvious he isn't 13 but people online wouldn't know it if he did it online.
Also you can go to places and travel, while on the internet, you're just sitting and browsing the websites and forums and you don't know who anyone is meaning you don't know what they look like after seeing them for the first time until they show a picture of them.

I do better online vs real life because if it weren't for the internet I would have never gotten any boyfriends, maybe get the job I have now because I saw the add on craigslist, never in the newspaper, find the aspie gathering here and the AB/DL. Unfortunitly I can't go to the aspie gathering because it's always on the day I am working and it starts after I am at work. 

Internet is a lot better but risky when you go meeting people in real life you met online. It's the same as in real life, you can meet a real nice guy at a bar and it turns out he isn't the guy you thought he was because he rapes you after going on a few dates.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
My ex played WOW or was it Diablo, who cares, well he play on the computer all day long and never get off except for when he went to bed, ate and went to the bathroom. Never did anything else.

Maybe if you'd pleasured him,
it would have helped him get off?

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »

Gods, don't those signs make you wanna punch the
people holding them?  :laugh:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »

Maybe if you'd pleasured him,
it would have helped him get off?

No he took me for granted. I was his meal ticket and he wanted a mommy instead of a girlfriend because he was like a big kid instead of an adult.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »
Better meal ticket than meal worm.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

What I'm trying to get at is that you can't predict the way a person acts in real life compared to how they act on the web,

= Difference.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 12:04:50 AM »
The first question I asked Peaguy was,

"Do you see a distinction [=difference] between your persona IRL and on the internets?"

If you can answer this question "yes", then there is a difference between the internet and RL.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

That's a good point, Tesla.

:plus:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »

What I'm trying to get at is that you can't predict the way a person acts in real life compared to how they act on the web,

= Difference.

I tend to. Haven't really seen a reason to think
otherwise, other than claims by those who say
that they are somehow better, IRL.