Educational

Author Topic: i did laundry  (Read 1255 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
i did laundry
« on: June 24, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »
once again do not incorrectly label me a sexist, i mean feminist.

i have been doing the laundry lately and i must say, i love it.
i think that every man with children should do it from time to time.

how rewarding.  i mean, i don't really consider my girls that small, but when i compare their shirt sizes to mine.  their pants to mine.  makes me all sentimental.

its just that they seem to be growing so fast, i had to stop and take a moment to allow a single tear to well up in my eye.  so take from this what you will and i am sure that my laundry kick will be short lived, but for the time being, its  special.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: i did laundry
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:03:13 PM »
How young do you guys think kids should start leanring to do laundry?  I started when I was 13 or so, due to nessessity.  I think that's a pretty good age.  I nkow one 22 year old guy who still can't do laundry.  The thouht of it somehow makes me want to smack him or his parents, or both.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »
my six year old taught me.  now i'm addicted.

sorting
stuffing
the warmth
the smell
the matching of corners

how could i have missed this pleasure my entire life?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 05:23:47 PM »
I think I was 12 or so, though I helped my mother with folding a long time before that.

I think a kid should learn from necessity, at whatever age the parent gets sick of doing it. But not be forced into it by the parent - just by running out of clothes and naturally wanting some cleaner ones. I've known plenty of people whose parents still did their laundry when they were in college. And that's just pathetic.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »
My youngest child (almost 3) loves to help me with the laundry, he loves to put everything in the washer or dryer.  My 7 year old daughter can put on a load of washing with supervision- she'd do it all by herself if I let her I basically just watch her to make sure she's not mixing things up.  I think she'll be able to do it by herself soon.

I think its important for kids to learn how to do things but not give them too many chores too young.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »
I think I was 12 or so, though I helped my mother with folding a long time before that.

I think a kid should learn from necessity, at whatever age the parent gets sick of doing it. But not be forced into it by the parent - just by running out of clothes and naturally wanting some cleaner ones. I've known plenty of people whose parents still did their laundry when they were in college. And that's just pathetic.

I do admit I let my grandmother do my laundry for me when I'm at her house.  It's like a vacation-perk type thing.  I don't know if that's pathetic or just lazy, but the whole household dumps their laundry into a basket in the main hallway so it's a sort of communal thing.  I tend to bring any extra I have also and I justify that by the fact that her washer and drier don't require quarters.

Fine.  I'm lazy.  I still do my own laundry, what, 90% of the year, at least?  Enough so that it's on my dream wishlist to have my landlord replace the crappy and tempermental washer and drier he has now (coin-and-luck-operated) so that I don't need ot go to a ladunromat twice a week.  And I mean it's high up there; I'd promise to never eat uncooked cookie dough ever again if I knew I'd have a washer and drier in the same building as me wherever I lived, for the rest of my life.  ((Does the fact that I offered that as a sacrifice show maturity issues?))
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »
LOL. That's not the kind of lazy I'm talking about... I'm thinking about the boyfriend of a particular ex-roommate of mine who at 20 or so didn't know how to cook, clean, or do laundry. So he'd come whining to my roommate, acting pathetic in an attempt to get her to play little mommy for him. (She did it, too, and then moaned about how grown-up she was and how everyone expected her to take care of them. Those two deserved each other.)
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Sanityisoverrated

• Frequent Poster
  • Sleepy type guy
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:16:23 AM »
I've been doing my own laundry since sometime in my teens. I'll admit that this means my laundry gets done a lot less frequently than everyone elses, and usually ends up sitting freshly washed and damp in the washing machine or a basket for days until it begins to smell and I need to wash it again, but hey- at least I do it!  ;D

I don't ever do ironing though. I have kind of a phobia about irons... It seems so archaic and primitive- why would anyone wield a scalding hot piece of metal mere inches from their own body, just to straighten out the creases in clothes? The risk vs reward there is really off-balance. They seriously need to invent some new safer technology for ironing.
'When the world is run according to my standards, everyone will be a happier person and the general standard of health will exceed the average' - Charlie Chaplin

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »
I'm another male who's fine with laundry, as well as cooking, cleaning, sewing and so on, but ironing?  Folding stuff up?  Sorting it?  I've never seen the point in that.  I might iron a shirt once in a blue moon for a special event, but that's it.  My socks are randomly piled in a box and I spend a few seconds finding a matching pair each day, most other things are on hangers in my wardrobe, wherever there was a space when I put them away, and the remainder is slung over the pole or door.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

• Frequent Poster
  • Sleepy type guy
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 01:56:48 AM »
My socks are randomly piled in a box and I spend a few seconds finding a matching pair each day, most other things are on hangers in my wardrobe, wherever there was a space when I put them away, and the remainder is slung over the pole or door.
Haha so true. I have a huge pile of "I've worn them once, but not enough to categorise as dirty yet" clothes on my chair, which I grab from when I get dressed, a pile of clean un-sorted clothes in a washing basket which I take from once I run out of the other pile (or need essentials like socks etc), and then I have my dirty washing pile. These three mystical piles of clothes just form a sort of circular rotation and never seem to make it into my drawers or shelving.
'When the world is run according to my standards, everyone will be a happier person and the general standard of health will exceed the average' - Charlie Chaplin

peegai

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 03:20:03 AM »
Some people can do laundry, some can't. I know of a friend who doesn't know how to make a cup of tea, but I don't go on about how pathetic that is because picking on someone because of their genuine domestic chores difficulties is dumb, tedious, and most of all boring.

What's the big deal if you can do laundry or not? Does knowing how to do laundry make you more happier? No, you still feel like a stupid shit. Can we move on now?

Eamonn

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:38:28 AM »
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah! Peegai's mum has to do his laundary for him! ;D

peegai

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 03:39:06 AM »
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah! Peegai's mum has to do his laundary for him! ;D

:P

I don't care if she does.

And you can't spell "laundry", so what's your point? Fucking dyslexic asshole who can wash and iron his own clothes. :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:46:02 AM by peegai »

peegai

On this day...
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 05:28:05 AM »
Will be the day that I will vow to do my own laundry.

• Frequent Poster
  • Sleepy type guy
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 05:39:28 AM »
Who needs ironing?

(Note the spray-bottle of "Fabulon Iron Free" wrinkle-remover shite in the corner  :D)