Author Topic: Black or woman president?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Black or woman president?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
Looks like the woman made a comeback.

If she is elected, I hope that she can get the health care initiative to pass the House and Senate.  She wants everyone who sells health insurance to the Federal government to sell it to any American who wants to buy it for the same price they offer government employees, with the same lack of exclusion of pre-existing conditions.  Right now, employees of the Federal government can choose between maybe hundreds of different health insurance plans, so it would be nice for ordinary people to be able to buy health insurance if they need it.

The only reason we were able to buy health insurance after my husband lost his job was because we bought it under COBRA for the 18 months, then bought the conversion policy, which was crappy insurance and expensive, but at least we had health insurance.

Some plans allow participants and beneficiaries to convert group health coverage to an individual policy.  If this option is generally available from the plan, a qualified beneficiary who pays for COBRA coverage must be given the option of converting to an individual policy at the end of the COBRA continuation coverage period.  The option must be given to enroll in a conversion health plan within 180 days before COBRA coverage ends.  The premium for a conversion policy may be more expensive than the premium of a group plan, and the conversion policy may provide a lower level of coverage.  The conversion option, however, is not available if the beneficiary ends COBRA coverage before reaching the end of the maximum period of COBRA coverage.

Clinton wont get too much of the Health Care package through, look at Bill's attempts. The one (out of those who support it) who has the best chance is Huccabee.

I think it was Hillary who tried to pass those reforms during the 90s, actually.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »
Nah. You're missing the point. Those of us
who believe that we don't should examine
more carefully, that's all.

I'm just sick of being told to examine more carefully, that's all. What the heck kind of proof does it take to actually get people to believe I'm not racist or sexist?
The real question is why do you care whichever way people think on the matter. Surely if you know that you are neither racist nor sexist then that would be enough?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
True, I'm being defensive.

However, you did accuse "Those of us who believe that we don't", which includes me and also the subset of the population who legitimately aren't racist and know it.

I don't deny that there is still racism and sexism in North American culture, and that it can be demonstrated by words like "shrill". I'm making the point that those people who aren't racist can have a very hard time getting people to believe them, and that adds to the general fear and segregation. Getting repeatedly accused of something you're not guilty of can create hostility over the issue which otherwise wouldn't have existed.

Fair enough. I was probably projecting.
I KNOW that I have some little attitudes
of such (mostly learned later in life). And
probably just think that I'm oh so great for
recognizing what I think is in all of us.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

I think it was Hillary who tried to pass those reforms during the 90s, actually.

She lead the design. I think that the whole thing was done
to protect the president. And to give her a boost, should it
work, and she seek office. But yeah.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

If she is elected, I hope that she can get the health care initiative to pass the House and Senate.  She wants everyone who sells health insurance to the Federal government to sell it to any American who wants to buy it for the same price they offer government employees, with the same lack of exclusion of pre-existing conditions.  Right now, employees of the Federal government can choose between maybe hundreds of different health insurance plans, so it would be nice for ordinary people to be able to buy health insurance if they need it.

The only reason we were able to buy health insurance after my husband lost his job was because we bought it under COBRA for the 18 months, then bought the conversion policy, which was crappy insurance and expensive, but at least we had health insurance.

Some plans allow participants and beneficiaries to convert group health coverage to an individual policy.  If this option is generally available from the plan, a qualified beneficiary who pays for COBRA coverage must be given the option of converting to an individual policy at the end of the COBRA continuation coverage period.  The option must be given to enroll in a conversion health plan within 180 days before COBRA coverage ends.  The premium for a conversion policy may be more expensive than the premium of a group plan, and the conversion policy may provide a lower level of coverage.  The conversion option, however, is not available if the beneficiary ends COBRA coverage before reaching the end of the maximum period of COBRA coverage.

Clinton wont get too much of the Health Care package through, look at Bill's attempts. The one (out of those who support it) who has the best chance is Huccabee.

And failed. A republican trying to get something like this through has a better chance.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

And failed. A republican trying to get something like this through has a better chance.

No way. 20 years ago, but not now.
His party would eviscerate him.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »

Yes, she did.  She also got some legislation passed concerning health care, which was the only reason we could even get the conversion policy after our COBRA ran out.

No way. 20 years ago, but not now.
His party would eviscerate him.

:agreed:

Huckabee did say this, though:

"You know, if you want to know how to fix it, I've got a solution. Either give every American the same kind of health care that Congress has, or make Congress have the same kind of health care that every American has. They'll get it fixed. We really have an incredible problem because our system is upside-down. It focuses on intervention at the catastrophic level of disease rather than really focusing on prevention. So we've got a system that, no matter how much money we pour into it, we're not going to fix it, until we begin to address the fact that this country has put its focus not on wellness, not on health, but on sickness."

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »
It's a good point, but the problem is,
this is what HMO's were supposed to
be. Somehow, instead of being that,
they became merely a cheaper way
to deliver the old style of service. Kinda
like walmart.  :-\

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »
I'm thankful we don't have a health care system like yours.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 03:21:37 PM »
What health care system?  :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
The real question is why do you care whichever way people think on the matter. Surely if you know that you are neither racist nor sexist then that would be enough?

LOL, because I'm a human being? And because I see a system where racism persists far beyond what it ought to, despite the presence of affirmative action, political correctness, and all the other social policies designed to eliminate it. So I'm looking for reasons society as a whole can't just get the hell over the issue and move on with their lives.

And one of the reasons I see is that there is actually negative pressure against individuals who have already resolved the issue for themselves. I'm not the only white person I know who is wary of saying this that or the other thing in case it might be misconstrued as racist. And I know how many guys there are who walk on tiptoes about making jokes about women when there's a female within earshot, lest they bring the rabid feminists down on their heads, while women make the same jokes about men with alacrity.

So I think, at least among more liberal people, that there ought to be a more of a trend towards bluntness, instead of all the pussyfooting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »

So I think, at least among more liberal people, that there ought to be a more of a trend towards bluntness, instead of all the pussyfooting.
:agreed:

THIS is a part of it, really.
Makes it harder to hide, if
you're speaking what you really
feel.

Teejay

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

Thats actually bollocks. The electorate in the UK dont give much of a fuck about what faith their politicians are (as long as they dont make a big fuss about it). He was unsure if there was an archaic law still in force which would bar a Catholic from being PM, not whether he could get elected.

Thanks for correcting me on this. I was unsure on the level of anti-catholic feeling still remaining in British society.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »
Sometimes, I wonder if there's actually
more in the US. Given the way fundies
seem to consider the RCC.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

LOL, because I'm a human being? And because I see a system where racism persists far beyond what it ought to, despite the presence of affirmative action, political correctness, and all the other social policies designed to eliminate it. So I'm looking for reasons society as a whole can't just get the hell over the issue and move on with their lives.

And one of the reasons I see is that there is actually negative pressure against individuals who have already resolved the issue for themselves. I'm not the only white person I know who is wary of saying this that or the other thing in case it might be misconstrued as racist. And I know how many guys there are who walk on tiptoes about making jokes about women when there's a female within earshot, lest they bring the rabid feminists down on their heads, while women make the same jokes about men with alacrity.

Of course there is negative pressure against those who cannot resolve it themselves, typically from those who are insecure about their own stance on the matter. As for tiptoes, I truly couldn't give a fuck, by keeping a high enough profile I will meet enough people who like me regardless. People do not have a right not to be offended, one quality people should all have is the ability to laugh at themselves. Taking my line on it is a convenient filter for those who I don't particularly want to associate with.