Educational

Author Topic: Libertarians  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Libertarians
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »
I'm still ok with the label; of Libertarian although I consider myself more of an Anarchist these days.   :headbang2:

I had to look up Libertarian on Wikipedia. We don't really use that word in Britain any more.

According to Wiki, it means so many different things in the US that it covers practically the entire polital spectrum. Including Anarchism.
Looks like an utterly useless word, except maybe for conmen who want to ingratiate themselves with you, before they know what your political views are :(.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
As the American liberal and the European liberal tent to mean completely different things, not every libertarian in the us and a is a con or a dickhole.

Listen to some of the thing Penn has to say about libertarianism in America. The more stable minded here simply believe in minimum government, and maximum freedom.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
As the American liberal and the European liberal tent to mean completely different things, not every libertarian in the us and a is a con or a dickhole.

That's not what I was saying.

I was saying that the word can be twisted to mean almost anything. Therefore it's worse-than- useless, as a word, to anybody except the sort of person who likes to twist things.

Obviously, plenty of totally honest people use the word too, but that doesn't seem wise. Far too easily misunderstood.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
I was saying that the word can be twisted to mean almost anything.

Any word can be twisted to mean almost anything. It all depends what is IS.    :tard:       :wanker:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »

Any word can be twisted to mean almost anything. It all depends what is IS.    :tard:       :wanker:

Just to be clear. was finding fault with the word , not you. I don't understand why it's such a big deal, unless you've taken my observation personally, for some reason . I basically found it amusing that usage has given the word so many contradictory meanings. it's been ruined for most communication purposes.

Before I looked that word up, I thought it meant something specific, politically.  I thought I even knew what specific thing it meant.  ( I was right, in a way. My idea of what it means was listed, along with other things that totally surprised me) That's the problem. I'm not alone there. Most other people seem to think it has one narrow specific meaning , as well.

I don't mind vague, general words on the whole. We could sit round a campfire, sing kumbayaaa, and cosily observe that  "We're all libertarians" . I'm personally fine with that.  But then that wouldn't quite work in the same way as  "We're all human", would it?  Presumably half the people so adressed would be offended, because the word has too narrow a definition in their neck of the woods. It could work out worse than declaring "We're all gay"

But now it turns out to be equaly offensive to call it a rubbish sort of word. 

Wow! The word has impenetrable armour as well as all sorts of concealed weaponry. :LOL:

I meant nothing personal whatsoever, except to observe that you're better off calling yourself an Anarchist , if you want to me (or anyone)  to understand what you mean . And since I actually like Anarchists, that's no sort of insult, in my book.   You'll know about it, if and when I decide to insult you. It won't be hidden in semantics.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:15:19 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »

Just to be clear. was finding fault with the word , not you.

Yes, I got that.

I think you slightly missed the issue though. I don't think that there's a problem with the word Libertarian in and of itself, rather I think it's just a blanket term that covers a wide spectrum of beliefs. The same thing goes for Anarchism, that covers a wide spectrum of beliefs and there is a fair amount of overlap between libertarianism and anarchism. This doesn't render the words meaningless though, it just means that if you claim to be one or the other, for the sake of clarity, you should specify which branch you identify with.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »

Just to be clear. was finding fault with the word , not you.

Yes, I got that.

I think you slightly missed the issue though. I don't think that there's a problem with the word Libertarian in and of itself, rather I think it's just a blanket term that covers a wide spectrum of beliefs. The same thing goes for Anarchism, that covers a wide spectrum of beliefs and there is a fair amount of overlap between libertarianism and anarchism. This doesn't render the words meaningless though, it just means that if you claim to be one or the other, for the sake of clarity, you should specify which branch you identify with.

Fair enough. Those pretty emoticons you posted made me think i'd inadvertently started a flame war   :LOL:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
Fair enough. Those pretty emoticons you posted made me think i'd inadvertently started a flame war   :LOL:

:LOL:  No, those were used to make fun of Bill Clinton.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 06:55:34 PM »

:LOL:  No, those were used to make fun of Bill Clinton.
Ahh. Thanks for clarifying *phew*  :plus:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »
I'm still ok with the label; of Libertarian although I consider myself more of an Anarchist these days.   :headbang2:

I had to look up Libertarian on Wikipedia. We don't really use that word in Britain any more.

According to Wiki, it means so many different things in the US that it covers practically the entire polital spectrum. Including Anarchism.
Looks like an utterly useless word, except maybe for conmen who want to ingratiate themselves with you, before they know what your political views are :(.
Have always understood libertarian views to be based in a belief of there's no need for laws which only protect people from themselves. Seatbelt laws for children, yes; seatbelt laws for adults, no.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:53:24 PM by Jack »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »

First of all, DrunkardsWalk needs to come back.

Second, I think Libertarianism just means someone who is opposed to Authoritarianism, whatever form it may take.

I think you have to be equally opposed to big government and big corporations since both are consolidations of money and power.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:17 PM »
Occasionally. The US libertarians tend to
be less what they purport to be, and more
simply more radical Republicans
, in a lot of
cases. Certainly was the case in NY, where
there was a definite advantage to suborning
the minor parties. :-\

Precisely.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:09:29 PM by Minister Of Silly Walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »
Calendale doesn't live here anymore.  :emodad:
:gopher:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
Calendale doesn't live here anymore.  :emodad:

Yes, but that doesn't stop him from being right about stuff.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
Occasionally. The US libertarians tend to
be less what they purport to be, and more
simply more radical Republicans
, in a lot of
cases. Certainly was the case in NY, where
there was a definite advantage to suborning
the minor parties. :-\

Precisely.