Poll

how many of yous is what one would call a substance abuser?

i am! i love abusing substances.
6 (23.1%)
i never touch any substances! i am clean as a whistle!
5 (19.2%)
i only drink booze and shit
10 (38.5%)
i only do drugs, no booze
1 (3.8%)
i do drugs and booze cuz they are teh awesome
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: do you self-medicate?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: do you self-medicate?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 03:10:38 PM »
I got a bottle of ginger in my house, and that has almost the same effect on me.  I have not got a tollerance with that one, and it makes me horny to.

Um... do you stick the bottle up your arse?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 04:03:26 PM »
I have a couple of glasses of wine or sherry a night.  Except when I decide to abstain for a few weeks a couple of times a year.  Lent is one time more out of sympathy for my wife giving up coffee than any religious reasons.  More than two glasses and I sleep shitty and feel lousy.

When I discovered caffeine back in the 70's at college, I definitely came close to overdoing it with No-Doz or Vivarin tabs.  Fortunately, I would start feeling too funny or out of whack to push that boundary any further.  Now I just have 2-3 cups of tea a day.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
Usually beer and sometimes white wine. Red wine is a sure way to give me migraines so I rarely touch that. Sometimes whisky. Sometimes other stuff (Campari, for example).

Oh, and champagne, on New Year's Eve.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »
Its more common to be overweight with a wheat allergy, because wheat protein promotes the production of a fat storage harmone, insulin.  I didn't loose anyweight either, but there was one month with I lost 20lbs without effort.  I went right back to normal.

i'm allergic to wheat. i'm addicted to it. hate the shit, it's the devil.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:04 PM »
do you self-medicate?

I have taken to drinking a couple of shots at night before bed, again. I am not sure if I actually sleep better than I do when I finish the day with a coffee or two, which definitely puts me to sleep better. But, I seem to remember my dreams much more and I have more waking dreams with this method.

The only problem I experience doing this, is that I awaken with a START every morning and fly out of bed like a wild man, well before sun up and I am severely over-stimmed, pacing, fidgeting, and sometimes talking to myself on the worst days, until I get some coffee into me, to calm down.

This is better than the reverse would be, for work.

Now, I need to find something, besides alcohol, for this nighttime mental coercion. I tried Melatonin, but that did not work for me.

that sucks man. how are you overstimmed from sleeping? ???

try valerian, maybe it might help.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
Melatonin doesn't always help. I've found that if you're stressed out, it won't do much. Otherwise, it actually works.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »
i can stay up after popping couple of melatonin. it just makes me feel the same way i do when i've been up all night, which i am every night. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »
i can stay up after popping couple of melatonin. it just makes me feel the same way i do when i've been up all night, which i am every night. :P

Yeah, me too. But if I take it and go to bed, I can fall asleep when I'm not too stressed. All in all, there's a difference.

- Albert Einstein

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
Melatonin makes me feel wistful, in a weird way. Good for meditation. Sometimes I take it just for that. Helps me sleep often, but like someone said, not when I'm stressed out.
!!Super atomic enema!!

ozymandias

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »
Melatonin doesn't always help. I've found that if you're stressed out, it won't do much. Otherwise, it actually works.

Thats what I found out.  When your stressed or anxious, sleep is a difficult thing to find!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2007, 11:00:32 PM »
i take it to achieve the state i get in when i stay up. i love that feeling. the downside is i can't sustain it for long because i get an urge to sleep eventually. :laugh: and i have no energy to do anything. but i take it to calm down if i don't have booze.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 04:14:22 AM »
do you self-medicate?

I have taken to drinking a couple of shots at night before bed, again. I am not sure if I actually sleep better...

Unlikely. Alcohol interferes with sleep, which is
probably why you get more memorable dreams.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »
do you self-medicate?

I have taken to drinking a couple of shots at night before bed, again. I am not sure if I actually sleep better than I do when I finish the day with a coffee or two, which definitely puts me to sleep better. But, I seem to remember my dreams much more and I have more waking dreams with this method.

The only problem I experience doing this, is that I awaken with a START every morning and fly out of bed like a wild man, well before sun up and I am severely over-stimmed, pacing, fidgeting, and sometimes talking to myself on the worst days, until I get some coffee into me, to calm down.

This is better than the reverse would be, for work.

Now, I need to find something, besides alcohol, for this nighttime mental coercion. I tried Melatonin, but that did not work for me.

that sucks man. how are you overstimmed from sleeping? ???

try valerian, maybe it might help.

Only my body is at rest during sleep. My mind enjoys a sense of "freed-up resources" and works at near-light speed while I sleep. I generally have very vivid, graphic, lucid dreams and they are often disturbing re-accounts of past troubles. I would like to control them better. I don't really want to lose my dreams, again, though.

Are you talking about a plant (Valeriana officinalis or calme los brujos)? If so, it is a well known Indian remedy for lack of sleep. The roots are used to induce a dream state in combination with mescalitos when smoked together. I couldn't get away with using mescalitos, because of random tox-screenings they do at work.

I have also seen Valeriana included in prepared, over the counter, herbal teas. I will give the tea a try once again, some day, but right now I am happy with things the way they are. I don't mind the energy I get from sleep as much as I used to when I was younger.

It has been many years since I used Valeriana, (calme los brujos). I'm a little scared to open certain doors again, though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:27:26 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »

Thats what I found out.  When your stressed or anxious, sleep is a difficult thing to find!

Too true.
I find that the instances when I do not feel stressed out are more due to illusions than to my perception of reality, however.

I doubt that I'm alone, here. I have tried to go "crutch-free"  many times, but it usually ends up helter-skelter. 
Maybe this is partly why so many of us self-medicate.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 12:35:38 PM »
Help me, melatonin, I didn't get up and do night  terror bullshit.  I went by the knife draw and said I was going to kill my brother. I stoped having those long time ago, but they did make it into adulthood.  Turkey tryptophan didn't affect me.

Peter, I used the whole bottle of ginger, and I save the bottle so you could stick it up your ass.  I have another one in there to, plus and empty bottle of cayeene pepper.  Have fun :laugh:  I always put people first :laugh:  I put my girlfriend first to, then I stuff her turkey full of cock. :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:39:18 PM by Randy »
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!