Author Topic: people here anti ASD science?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
Re: people here anti ASD science?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
Catrona, since you're studying to be a psychologist, do you have any idea which field of psychology offers the most opportunity for travel?

not a pyschologist... neuroscientist.  research focuses more on just how brain parts function toegther... not so much healthy versus not... just trying to get a grasp on general foundations (but as it stands... good way to figure that out is by studying what can go "wrong")

if you can write a grant to go to some tropical place to study psychology or marine biology or what have you.... and it gets funded... any field in science works.

would say psychology would be easier than neuro for doing that... cause it's easier to justify going some place to study people versus working with animal or post mortum human samples...
I am the Steppenwolf who never learned to dance.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »
I don't need no stinking "help". My outlook and perspective on things are my own, and no-one is going to alter them just because my line of thinking doesn't suit society at large.

In summary, go fuck yourselves.

that seems to be all you have to say about anything

im glad you enjoy your strengths and weaknesses.  im not on meds or anything else either... but i realize that other people have different views... and it's silly and immature to just go tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »
I see it as in most cases little more than a hobby or fulfilling ones curiosities, as opposed to something that will benefit us.

what kind of "help" would you want?

i can foresee genetherapy to minimize impacts for children as well as possible improvement for adults.

Complete social change, in other words for society to be tipped upside down and a new society system to take hold.

im working on a satellite lazerbeam o death... as we speak

you should be able to start giving me names any day now
:laugh:
Processive elimination, yummy!

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »
I'm interested in trying to mitigate the unpleasant stuff with nutrients, since it's relatively easy to see what something like carnitine will do if you take it, and how that ties into autism.  I'm not really into looking at things like antipsychotics at this point in time, both because it's unclear what they will do to an aspie, and because the risk of permanent harm will outweigh the likely benefits in many cases.  If pharma ever wants to make a drug which is actually intended for treating ASDs, I will be very interested, but to date they have done nothing of the kind.  Their interest in us only seems to extend to selling us prescriptions for drugs that they already designed for unrelated purposes.  I'm not willing to buy into the idea that ritalin, prozac and risperdal are some sort of psychiatric ginseng that should be the default response to anything & everything.

im not talking about drugs per se...

prcoesses occur in your body due to proteins.... genes make proteins to carry out functions.  if you have a non-functional gene but can supply the protein that that gene makes... you can effectively boost the normal function of what that gene would be doing.

these synapses i am studying start working at early ages (young, when ASD behaviors start becoming noticable... and is why it is thought they are related)... the theory is that these synapses never finish maturing for whatever reason.  by providing the correct protein... you can help increase learning capacities and increase sensory efficiency.

if anything... it would increase natural abilities is what i hope for.

i think there are many other things involved with autism... but im interested in this stuff cause it seems like it could help without changing other unique things that people are proud of.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »
I don't need no stinking "help". My outlook and perspective on things are my own, and no-one is going to alter them just because my line of thinking doesn't suit society at large.

In summary, go fuck yourselves.

DITTO!!!

fucking eugenics. it's like trying to cure homosexuality instead of trying to cure the world of biggotry and hatred for unique individuals. disgusting.

lol not everyone thinks like that...

rediculous to try and cure homsexuality... but there are some gay people who dont wish to be gay.

but a key diff is that most any gay person can function in society

i dont disagree that it's the WORLD that should change

but whatever... im more mature than just simply saying go fuck yourselves...

if you truly believe what you say... dont take any meds... dont apply for disability (cause nothing's wrong)... and quit crying

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 10:27:31 AM »
Out of intrest Sedaka, what exactly do you want your research to achieve, and what do you think is realistic?

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 10:29:04 AM »
I think Psychology and Biology overlap at Neuroscience, not sure though.

i view it as psychology plays with drugs to make people act normal

neuroscience plays with brains to see how they do what they do

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
I see it as in most cases little more than a hobby or fulfilling ones curiosities, as opposed to something that will benefit us.

i can foresee genetherapy to minimize impacts for children as well as possible improvement for adults.

Complete social change, in other words for society to be tipped upside down and a new society system to take hold.

am programming it to have a radom targetting so we dont concentrate on selectively losing a particular subset of genes... but i AM implementing an override KILL command... for those annoying people just just need to DIAF.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »

am programming it to have a radom targetting so we dont concentrate on selectively losing a particular subset of genes... but i AM implementing an override KILL command... for those annoying people just just need to DIAF.
Can you program it so it can turn people into kangaroos rather than get rid of them entirely...

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 10:50:16 AM »

for the stuff i am doing....

i hope there is a way to treat kids during this time frame when they are young and these synapses are maturing and setting the lower and upper thresholds of your sensory abilities and learning abilities and supply proteins that help boost the function of these synapses.

hopefully, treatment can be limited for this time time frame and after some time... you go off of the treatment cause your synapse networks are done maturing and go you about your life. 

when you are young at at this point in your life... your sensory networks are "coming online" and it's very connected to certain learning abilities such as spatial learning (not getting lost)... fear conditioning (not jumping at loud scarey noises or attaining a healthy appropriate fear response)... auditory learning (being able to discern voices... distinguish and identify sounds)... visual learning... linking up visual cues and being able to manipoulate things and infer info from it)

diff parts of the brain are associated with all these sensory networks and early learnings aspects.... these types of synapses are found in all these brain regions.

i dont know how increasing the effeciency of these processes would change a person... but i see it as helping.... at the very least for extreme cases.

would probably work best in children when these processes are still being formed... but i bet there could be improvement for adult performance too

it's all personal (or parental choice)

so, if you're still so inclined, you can still say go fuck yourselves... but just like you expect people to respect your difference of opinion... you have to respect theirs.

(and i dont mean OP here that I'm responding to in this reply, just to those who are saying fuck (ME) you)

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »

Can you program it so it can turn people into kangaroos rather than get rid of them entirely...

hmmm.... interesting.

im afraid we cant do that with science... and what if they started reverting back or something?  then we'd have all these half-breed twats running around

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »

i hope there is a way to treat kids during this time frame when they are young and these synapses are maturing and setting the lower and upper thresholds of your sensory abilities and learning abilities and supply proteins that help boost the function of these synapses.

hopefully, treatment can be limited for this time time frame and after some time... you go off of the treatment cause your synapse networks are done maturing and go you about your life. 

when you are young at at this point in your life... your sensory networks are "coming online" and it's very connected to certain learning abilities such as spatial learning (not getting lost)... fear conditioning (not jumping at loud scarey noises or attaining a healthy appropriate fear response)... auditory learning (being able to discern voices... distinguish and identify sounds)... visual learning... linking up visual cues and being able to manipoulate things and infer info from it)

diff parts of the brain are associated with all these sensory networks and early learnings aspects.... these types of synapses are found in all these brain regions.

i dont know how increasing the effeciency of these processes would change a person... but i see it as helping.... at the very least for extreme cases.

would probably work best in children when these processes are still being formed... but i bet there could be improvement for adult performance too

so, if you're still so inclined, you can still say go fuck yourselves... but just like you expect people to respect your difference of opinion... you have to respect theirs.

(and i dont mean OP here that I'm responding to in this reply, just to those who are saying fuck (ME) you)
So the idea here is to take away the bad parts of autism and leave the good parts in a person. Isnt that a bit of an attempt at making superhumans, rather than anything else. Its an intresting idea, I am not sure how you would implement it, or how ethical it would be. Though personally I am not adverse to making humanity better, the problem is better is highly subjective.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »
kill everybody. that would solve it.

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »

So the idea here is to take away the bad parts of autism and leave the good parts in a person. Isnt that a bit of an attempt at making superhumans, rather than anything else. Its an intresting idea, I am not sure how you would implement it, or how ethical it would be. Though personally I am not adverse to making humanity better, the problem is better is highly subjective.

i dont know how intertwined these sonesory/learning abilities are with the autistic personality

but i am interested in trying to help the things that impede learning and the sensory issues at the very least.

evolution alone works to create the super race... and i dont know if working to boost the functioning of these synapses would create super powers

i have sensory issues and did have some troubles in school... but they werent so bad that my parents really connected it with anything other than me deserving a whooping to straighten me out... but if something can be done to help kids function better in school that just cant seem to make it cause their issues are too great... then i say give it a try.

i was lucky cause when i started failing school in elementary... if it hadnt been for my mom (whom i think is somewhere on the spectrum too as she's a total shutin and atnisocial and seems to understand me... but i digress) and her persistence to get me mentally evaluated outside of the school system... i would have gotten lumped with all the behavioral problematic kids... or the slow (sorry cant think of diff way to put it) kids... and the potential of my education would have been far less (most likely) than I have been able to do... it's just how the system works... and trust me, having taught in elementary schools, i am DISGUSTED with how it works.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
kill everybody. that would solve it.

will add you to the list of those i give the secret kill command code to  :clap:

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP