Educational

Author Topic: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List  (Read 19048 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2007, 06:13:51 PM »
The ONE issue to consider is whether using one's
admin powers is indeed a matter of free speech at
all. This is where I'm torn. I see Callaway's point, because
unlike all other forms of expression, this one simply
can't be answered in kind.

imo, the pranks are not about free speech, anyway,
Well they can suggest pranks for the admin in question to take.

That was how it was dealt with in the early days of Intensity. Anyone who was pranked by an admin could prank the admins back.
Admin for a day would be nice to have back, or something equally as exciting. This site has lost some of the fun aspects of old.

you weren't there.

i don't think pranks are the way to keep this place alive. they aren't making free speech happen, they rather intimidate some, they effectively make some people keep quiet so they won't be pranked.

as for the admin for one day thing, no thanks. this place has grown too much so it wouldn't be safe.
Well maybe not direct access to the panel. But a rotating nominate a prank would be fun.

I think that really would be a fun idea for a thread, assuming that the admins aren't pranking people who have already asked not to be pranked and the member can change their stuff back if they don't want it.
The only problem with such a thread is it would lose the element of surprise. Unless there is a AAM function in the SM software.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »

you weren't there.

i don't think pranks are the way to keep this place alive. they aren't making free speech happen, they rather intimidate some, they effectively make some people keep quiet so they won't be pranked.

as for the admin for one day thing, no thanks. this place has grown too much so it wouldn't be safe.

I agree that admin for the day was a bad idea.

As for the intimation thing where do you draw the line?  The main event concept, the karma system, the fact the there is no play nice rules here (yet) and the fact that if you offer a dissenting opinion you're likely to get either shouted down by group of people or just have your views written off as being bull shit cos you're billy no mates could all be seen as a lot more intimidating then the pranks.   But this is still Intensity last time I checked.

i don't know where to draw the line either. i'm just saying what i think about the pranks. the ass fairy stuff today had its moments, imo, but i still wouldn't like to have that done to me. but that's just me.

what i'm also trying to say is that free speech doesn't mean that you have to behave like an arse just because you can. it doesn't mean that you should stop respecting your fellow members, including the ones that ask not to be pranked. free speech isn't--or shouldn't be, at least--about bullying or about some group mentality where it's ok to tell the dissenting voice to grow some skin, stop being such a grumpy old man, or whatever, because you belong to a group that's loud enough.

sure, you can choose to see my views as more intimidating than some of the pranks, but if you do, then you really aren't addressing my concerns, you are simply sidestepping the issue.

see how this works, btw--i just made any one of you that asks me to grow some skin into a bully,
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:04 PM »

you weren't there.

Well, the ass fairy prank's been funner than hell.  :finger:

i didn't say what i thought of them so you might as well save your middle finger for something more productive than that, whoever you are.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »

you weren't there.

i didn't say what i thought of them so you might as well save your middle finger for something more productive than that, whoever you are.
Its Calandale. His middle finger has just finshed with colonic irrigation. I hope he didnt wipe it on you...  :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »

you weren't there.

I'm an ass fairy, and I'm usin' it on yer ass. :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
what i'm also trying to say is that free speech doesn't mean that you have to behave like an arse just because you can. it doesn't mean that you should stop respecting your fellow members, including the ones that ask not to be pranked. free speech isn't--or shouldn't be, at least--about bullying or about some group mentality where it's ok to tell the dissenting voice to grow some skin, stop being such a grumpy old man, or whatever, because you belong to a group that's loud enough.

sure, you can choose to see my views as more intimidating than some of the pranks, but if you do, then you really aren't addressing my concerns, you are simply sidestepping the issue.

see how this works, btw--i just made any one of you that asks me to grow some skin into a bully,

ANY group is going to disintegrate into that kind of mentality though.
Well, unless we were to all do our damnedest not to, which I've seen
little effort from most of us towards. This is really the SAME kind of
respect which one might put into dealing with one another, in terms
of pranks. I doubt that it would hold up, in the heat of an argument,
for most of us.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
The thing that gets me about your point of view on this Odeon is that you think its all fair free speech when you call someone a little boy or a cunt or write off someone's real views as them just shit stirring, but its a problem to tell someone to stop being such a grumpy old man or to tell them that Intensity isn't the place for sensitive types.  Its all fair free speech if someone has the piss taken out of them constantly because of their difficulties in communication (btw- I'm thinking of both Flo and Calandale here), but its wrong to take the piss out of people that don't see the funny side to the pranks.  Its hypocritical imo.

The real issue is that Intensity is not, and never has been the place for those who need protecting from any kind of ridicule, and introducing quasi-rules is not really addressing this issue. 

Why do you get to be the one that decides when free speech suddenly becomes bullying?  In a lot of the discussions that take place in the WC you belong to the group that's the loudest, with the constant no other comment  " :plus:'s" that add nothing to the debate but make it clear to anyone that dares to argue with the status quo that you don't like their opinion, and the various takes on the dismissive 'nobby no mates is whining again' comments.  That seems just as much, if not more so, an attempt to silence those who disagree than the pranks do. Why is that not bullying then?

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »
Because the other side has grown some skin.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
Why do you get to be the one that decides when free speech suddenly becomes bullying?  In a lot of the discussions that take place in the WC you belong to the group that's the loudest, with the constant no other comment  " :plus:'s" that add nothing to the debate but make it clear to anyone that dares to argue with the status quo that you don't like their opinion, and the various takes on the dismissive 'nobby no mates is whining again' comments.  That seems just as much, if not more so, an attempt to silence those who disagree than the pranks do. Why is that not bullying then?

the short answer is that i don't get to decide when free speech becomes bullying. i'm offering my opinion, just as you are.

the slightly longer answer is that it's not an attempt to silence anyone. how can it be, here of all places? if someone is intimidated or quiet or doesn't know what to say, should i try to be less persuasive in my argumentation? is that what you're saying? there is a hell of a lot of difference between arguing in a thread (including the plussing, the remarks and whatnot), and repeatedly changing the profile of someone who hasn't done anything at all, except asking the prankster to not do it again, don't you think? in my book, the latter is bullying while the former is debating.

oh, and are you placing me in a clique, now, PI?

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2007, 03:36:39 AM »
I'm not saying that you're in some clique (although I find it interesting that you would ask me that since you were also using the 'groups' argument), what I am saying is that you are usually in the group that shouts the loudest when it comes to WC discussions and that uses practically every tactic to show just how much you dislike the opinions of those who disagree (and by this I'm not just talking about arguing your own point of view- I'm talking about writing off people's arguments completely because of who they are, I'm talking about those of you that decide they're going to smite someone they disagree with every hour on the hour just to show just how much people dislike their point of view,etc).  Silencing the dissenting voice was something you said you considered bullying in your previous post, a point you tried to wedge home with this comment:
  All I did was show that perhaps your behaviour could also be considered bullying or a way of silencing the dissenting voice using the standards you were applying to that of others.

there is a hell of a lot of difference between arguing in a thread (including the plussing, the remarks and whatnot), and repeatedly changing the profile of someone who hasn't done anything at all, except asking the prankster to not do it again, don't you think? in my book, the latter is bullying while the former is debating.

But that wasn't the only thing you were arguing in your previous post was it and you know perfectly well that wasn't the point I was replying to.  You said "free speech isn't--or shouldn't be, at least--about bullying or about some group mentality where it's ok to tell the dissenting voice to grow some skin, stop being such a grumpy old man, or whatever, because you belong to a group that's loud enough."

And that's what I was replying to with my examples of your behaviour that could be considered bullying using your own standards because I think that's where the hypocrisy lies- you say its bullying to tell someone to stop being a grumpy old man or to grow some skin if you happen to belong to what some see as the loudest group on this issue (although really which side is the loudest group is debatable), but its simple debate/free speech when you call people names or use the other tactics I mentioned for disagreeing on other issues when you belong to the loudest group.  Either both are covered by free speech or we introduce play nice rules that cover all of it, you can't apply it selectively.

My issue with the no prank list has always been that its questionable whether we ought to start introducing rules (whether we come right out and be honest about this or not that's what they are) to protect people from certain kinds of behaviour on a no holds barred place like Intensity.  I just think that perhaps people ought to look at how their own behaviour could come across before they go applying standards to what's bullying and what isn't.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2007, 04:29:02 AM »
I'm not saying that you're in some clique (although I find it interesting that you would ask me that since you were also using the 'groups' argument), what I am saying is that you are usually in the group that shouts the loudest when it comes to WC discussions and that uses practically every tactic to show just how much you dislike the opinions of those who disagree (and by this I'm not just talking about arguing your own point of view- I'm talking about writing off people's arguments completely because of who they are, I'm talking about those of you that decide they're going to smite someone they disagree with every hour on the hour just to show just how much people dislike their point of view,etc).

i'm usually too lazy to engage in anything like this. i've done it with scrap when he had already started doing the same to me.

Silencing the dissenting voice was something you said you considered bullying in your previous post, a point you tried to wedge home with this comment:

this is an argumentation technique, really, and my intention was just to expose it, but yes, i can see your point.

All I did was show that perhaps your behaviour could also be considered bullying or a way of silencing the dissenting voice using the standards you were applying to that of others.

as i point out below, there is a difference between the arguments confined to certain threads, and pranks done to people who didn't want them.

i'll admit freely that i have engaged in tactics that could be seen as bullying, by staying on the case of some members with whom i already have an argument. i'll also admit that i am not perfect, that some of my replies were designed to hurt, but i maintain that i don't pick just anyone, and certainly not a member i haven't engaged in an argument with. see the difference?

there is a hell of a lot of difference between arguing in a thread (including the plussing, the remarks and whatnot), and repeatedly changing the profile of someone who hasn't done anything at all, except asking the prankster to not do it again, don't you think? in my book, the latter is bullying while the former is debating.

But that wasn't the only thing you were arguing in your previous post was it and you know perfectly well that wasn't the point I was replying to.  You said "free speech isn't--or shouldn't be, at least--about bullying or about some group mentality where it's ok to tell the dissenting voice to grow some skin, stop being such a grumpy old man, or whatever, because you belong to a group that's loud enough."

And that's what I was replying to with my examples of your behaviour that could be considered bullying using your own standards because I think that's where the hypocrisy lies- you say its bullying to tell someone to stop being a grumpy old man or to grow some skin if you happen to belong to what some see as the loudest group on this issue (although really which side is the loudest group is debatable), but its simple debate/free speech when you call people names or use the other tactics I mentioned for disagreeing on other issues when you belong to the loudest group.  Either both are covered by free speech or we introduce play nice rules that cover all of it, you can't apply it selectively.

read again, PI. if you don't see the difference between arguing with people already participating in the argument (and yes, sometimes with not-so-nice comments and tactics), and repeatedly pulling pranks on people who asked to stay out of them (including calling them all kinds of things if the dare protest), there is no point having this discussion at all.

My issue with the no prank list has always been that its questionable whether we ought to start introducing rules (whether we come right out and be honest about this or not that's what they are) to protect people from certain kinds of behaviour on a no holds barred place like Intensity.  I just think that perhaps people ought to look at how their own behaviour could come across before they go applying standards to what's bullying and what isn't.

i agree with you in that there's no way we can introduce actual rules. that would be moderation and quickly change this site into something i don't want to be a part of. however, i maintain that there is a difference between what i've done when arguing, and the no-holds-barred pranks i was talking about. i also maintain that if someone repeatedly asks to NOT be the target of more pranks, that should be respected. not because the prankster has to, but because it's the decent thing to do.

(and rather than throwing more vague accusations about my past behaviour, including those plusses designed to bully the opposition into silence, point them out when they occur.)

i'm not perfect, and i'm sure i've been guilty of being unnecessarily cruel, mean, etc, in the past, but does that mean that i am not allowed to comment on the pranks i think are cruel, mean, etc?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:52:12 AM by odeon »

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2007, 04:47:22 AM »
from several of the comments above, then, are people suggesting that I2 is only for the young, now?

as a card-carrying "grumpy old woman", i take great exception to that sort of shite.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2007, 05:28:57 AM »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2007, 05:36:59 AM »
Quote from: odeon
read again, PI. if you don't see the difference between arguing with people already participating in the argument (and yes, sometimes with not-so-nice comments and tactics), and repeatedly pulling pranks on people who asked to stay out of them (including calling them all kinds of things if the dare protest), there is no point having this discussion at all.

I think you're the one that needs to read again Odeon- I never said that there wasn't a difference between the two- both of my last posts on this thread were addressing your claims that its bullying to make comments to people for complaining about the pranks, but that its just 'debating' if you make the same kind of comments to people that disagree with someone on any other issue.  Its a blatant double standard and it was the crux of your argument previously.

(and rather than throwing more vague accusations about my past behaviour, including those plusses designed to bully the opposition into silence, point them out when they occur.)

I don't point them out because I know that there are no rules about what is acceptable behaviour (and I disagree that they were vague in anyway I said exactly what I meant)- you were the one that started setting out examples for what you consider to be bullying- I was simply pointing out that if we apply the standards used to come up with those examples to other behaviour, including your own, then there's probably a lot of bullying going on.  I'm not saying that I agree there is bullying going on, just pointing out the double standards at work.

i'm not perfect, and i'm sure i've been guilty of being unnecessarily cruel, mean, etc, in the past, but does that mean that i am not allowed to comment on the pranks i think are cruel, mean, etc?

No, it doesn't- but it also doesn't mean that I (or anyone else for that matter) are not allowed to point out that what you consider to be bullying behaviour is something you do yourself.

i agree with you in that there's no way we can introduce actual rules. that would be moderation and quickly change this site into something i don't want to be a part of. however, i maintain that there is a difference between what i've done when arguing, and the no-holds-barred pranks i was talking about. i also maintain that if someone repeatedly asks to NOT be the target of more pranks, that should be respected. not because the prankster has to, but because it's the decent thing to do. 

But the fact remains unless we make it a rule that admins cannot prank people there's very little point to having an anti-prank list in the first place.
Because the only way to enforce it is by making those who disagree about the nature of the pranks (and have admin access to carry them out in the first place) feel completely disapproved of by the more vocal members which by its very nature could be considered a form of bullying too.   

Is the main issue that the pranks are a form of bullying or is that people don't like having their avatar,etc messed with?  Because its quite easy to start using emotive terms like bullying to force an issue home, when really what people object to is just the fact they don't like having their avatar changed (and I'm not saying that isn't a valid opinion/concern).

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »
from several of the comments above, then, are people suggesting that I2 is only for the young, now?

as a card-carrying "grumpy old woman", i take great exception to that sort of shite.

Who said it was only for the young or not for grumpy old codgers of either sex?  Lets not start playing the age card shite here.