Educational

Author Topic: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List  (Read 19041 times)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: How to Opt Into Pranks--The Please Prank Me List
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »

I was afraid that it was going to be a striptease.

:laugh:

I was HOPING.  8)

me too. :-\ :'(
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

I was HOPING.  8)

Well, I'd settle for one by you.  :eyebrows:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2007, 02:04:39 PM »

I was HOPING.  8)

same here. :eyebrows:

Can you imagine what it felt like for little children, first, second, third and fourth graders to be bullied by high school students, who were all teenagers?

i was bullied at school. but it made me stronger. and you know what i did when i felt threatened? i fought back. i don't like to hurt people but if someone threatens me i don't have any problem hitting back. my bully's big sister came with her friends and threatened me, might as well have been a teenager group. to me all the older kids were the same, big and scary. it's hazy but i remember i had a pen and i stabbed her in the hand with it, she was shocked and i ran away. one time i slammed a door on her little sister's foot, because she was trying to get inside my home and sticking her foot between the door. later we became friends. if i could choose to go back in time to stop the bullying i wouldn't. it taught me some lessons without creating any bad trauma. just like some avatar changes are not very harmful. there are worse things in life, believe me. and i know you've been through worse things.

i get constant avatar changes and name changes are annoying and irritating and stressful but i wouldn't compare it to bullying. you can always leave a message board or get used to the avatar changes, but we all had to go to school.

I do agree that when an admin makes some kind of blunt statement that could be interpreted as some kind of declaration or carries out an action, such as the posting of 'improved' polls it does seem to be official in some way (even though the staff member in question didn't mean it that way).  I think the solution may be that such things are clearly labeled as 'unofficial' just so that people can distinguish between actions carried out as an ordinary member and the more official actions/statements a staff member sometimes has to make.

i hope nothing i say is taken like that. i think the responsibility lies on the receiver to not assume anything until proven otherwise. cuz if i have to put an unofficial disclaimer into every post just because i'm an admin i'd rather not be an admin. i think it's unfair to assume that an admin is using their position, and i don't see how it could be use that way anyway. there are no rules and admins are caretaker admins, that means they don't get to decide anything.

Yeah it probably would be easier- but I think it will take a lot of time for people to get that ingrained in their thinking, since official announcements are so rare.   I think its just human nature for people to assume, often incorrectly, that those in power are trying to assert their authority and since a fair few of us almost automatically think 'fuck authority' it can irritate people even if there's no real reason to be irritated.  :laugh:

assuming is unfair. if it's ingrained in their thinking they ought to change it. should a person start limping instead of fixing their leg just cuz it takes time and effort for the leg to heal? no. this needs to be fixed. people need to stop assuming. it's not logical. god, what kinds of aspies are we if we let this shit go on?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »
I'm not talking about general comments Milla, just the ones that look like 'proclamations' or site decisions in some way.   I agree we need to stop viewing the admins as being in a position of authority, I think people sometimes do that because before the WC was set up they kind of were- they were elected to serve the community and did make a fair few decisions just between the staff.

god, what kinds of aspies are we if we let this shit go on?

Ones that are set in their ways??  :laugh:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
ha ha. :P even aspies set in their ways must realize to use logic. and i mean real logic. the vulcan logic is crap. i was just watching Star Trek last night and Tuvok was again illogical. Seven was more logical. we could learn some from the Borg. :P

i'd rather that it be expected of admins to put an official disclaimer when they are being all official cuz otherwise it sucks. rarely if ever has an admin said something official and usually then they have said it was official. Dunc said "as big stick waving guy" well that should be expected when someone with some authority or perceived authority attempts to be all official and stuff. that's more logical.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
Or we could just take the staff off their pedestals and treat them like any other member unless they need to start officially waving the big stick around for any reason. I think its about time.  :laugh:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
that's what i was saying. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »
that's what i was saying. :P

Just as long as we can all still worship you now you're a staff member.  :-*

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
always. :green: ;)
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »

I was HOPING.  8)

same here. :eyebrows:

We could make it a duet.  :laugh:

there are no rules

There certainly ARE. Otherwise, the WC
would be meaningless.

and admins are caretaker admins, that means they don't get to decide anything.

Pretty much should be the case with all of the staff,
so long as the site's not in extreme danger, IMO.

assuming is unfair. if it's ingrained in their thinking they ought to change it. should a person start limping instead of fixing their leg just cuz it takes time and effort for the leg to heal? no. this needs to be fixed. people need to stop assuming. it's not logical. god, what kinds of aspies are we if we let this shit go on?

Assuming things is necessary. Aspies are pretty good
at NOT doing so, but otherwise, one would have to
test if fire is painful, every chance they got. It's perfectly
reasonable to make assumptions.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »
I'm not talking about general comments Milla, just the ones that look like 'proclamations' or site decisions in some way.   I agree we need to stop viewing the admins as being in a position of authority, I think people sometimes do that because before the WC was set up they kind of were- they were elected to serve the community and did make a fair few decisions just between the staff.

More than that. They still do make these kinds
of decisions, 'twould seem. Thus, the 'threat'
if you would, that misusing the werd confusulator
would result in someone being de-admined. Or
that leaving a backdoor makes someone forever
ineligible to serve again. I don't think that these
were simply members' opinions.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »
ha ha. :P even aspies set in their ways must realize to use logic. and i mean real logic.

There are MANY flavors of logic. Personally,
I'm fairly convinced that 'classical' logic is
insufficient for handling the world.

i'd rather that it be expected of admins to put an official disclaimer when they are being all official cuz otherwise it sucks. rarely if ever has an admin said something official and usually then they have said it was official. Dunc said "as big stick waving guy" well that should be expected when someone with some authority or perceived authority attempts to be all official and stuff. that's more logical.

I agree. Worse though, making decisions of
what is wrong, ex post facto, greatly disturbs
me. Dunc's position on scrap as a future admin
candidate seems particularly unreasonable to me.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
Or we could just take the staff off their pedestals and treat them like any other member unless they need to start officially waving the big stick around for any reason. I think its about time.  :laugh:

But, we CAN'T. As things stand, they are
effectively immune to some pranks, which
the rest of us are not, for example.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »
I'm not going to get into the whole thing about site security or what has happened in the past when an admin tried to take the site down or did other things that took a lot of work to fix again. I don't think its unreasonable, as someone who has to fix all that crap, to say that someone who can't be trusted not to do something like that can't be given the keys to the site.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
The decisions that I'm alluding to all seem
in a gray area, to this member.