Educational

Author Topic: My Grandniece  (Read 426 times)

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
My Grandniece
« on: September 16, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
Is going through some diagnosis and might have Asperger's. She is seven years old. She is having problems in school. Just just found out from My Niece. She is worried about getting Her diagnosed and stigmatized because of the diagnosis. Just spent 2 hour 15 minutes on the phone with My Niece Jennifer. I told You can only do Your best for Your daughter. She will be going through the school and military. The child has had many medical problems since birth.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: My Grandniece
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:09:48 AM »
Oh boy. I think that things have gotten better though.
I mean, we were stigmatized WITHOUT a DX, and I
doubt that it gets much worse.

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:13:11 AM »
That is why She getting diagnosed.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:20:51 AM »
The only way a child can get stigmatised is if the parents suddenly want their child to be treated 'special'.  Thinking back to when I was a child, diagnosis would have given my parents power, rather than made me feel somehow 'not right'.  I guess it depends how many setbacks your grandniece has.  But diagnosis would have saved my parents a LOT of time and given them some power.

I hope it all goes well.  AS kids should be treated as a true gift really, when you think about it.  They have a lot to give.

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
I think Jen, is just scared of doing anything that would make it worse for Her daughter. She is becoming a RN Herself. She gets nursing magazines even saw a study that correlated seizures with Asperger's. I know She will do Her best for Her daughter. I believe Her daughter will not be stigmatised either with the family support around. She Herself as always felt that there was something different about Her daughter. She almost got diagnosed a couple years ago but the doctors wanted to hold off on it.

I don't think they would treat Her as "special" not the way Jennifer talks anyway. She just wants Her daughter to live a normal enough Life now and in the future.
Guardian of the Empire

The_P

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
The only way a child can get stigmatised is if the parents suddenly want their child to be treated 'special'.  Thinking back to when I was a child, diagnosis would have given my parents power, rather than made me feel somehow 'not right'.  I guess it depends how many setbacks your grandniece has.  But diagnosis would have saved my parents a LOT of time and given them some power.

I hope it all goes well.  AS kids should be treated as a true gift really, when you think about it.  They have a lot to give.

But I've been taking a lot of government money for nearly eight years.

:O

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
I felt stigmatized when I was DX'd. They dragged me into the psych office kicking and screaming, but I'm hardly a representative sample.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
AS kids should be treated as a true gift really, when you think about it.  They have a lot to give.

:agreed: :plus:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »

I absolutely agree with you that all kids should be treated as true gifts, whether or not they have AS, but I don't get what is wrong with parents who want their ASD diagnosed children to be treated 'special'.  My daughter has 'special' needs and I want those needs to be met by her school.  I certainly don't want them to ever put her in a 'time-out room' again, which they might do for a 'typical' child who was never abused by being forced to stay in what was essentially a closet for most of her school day.

You are correct when you say that a diagnosis gives the parents power and I think it would be wrong to not use this power when dealing with the school.  Because of my daughter's diagnosis, she attends a special school for autistic children.  I think she would be in an entirely different place that would not meet her needs if she did not have the diagnosis.

Kevv, Jennifer sounds like a really good mother.  Her daughter is lucky.  I don't think she will be stigmatized by a diagnosis of AS.  I think that she would be much more stigmatized without one, because the school would treat her like a 'typical' child and they would not meet her needs.  I'm very glad you took the time to talk to Jennifer about this.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »
you said what i hadn't made into words, Callaway. i agree. AS kids do need special treatment. only, it has the be the right kind of special treatment. like you said, having their needs met. i have been scarred for life because of my AS, years and years of memories that i try to keep out of my head, i dunno if a diagnosis would have helped me avoid the mistakes i made, probably not, but maybe it'd have made people more understanding. all in all i feel a diagnosis would be irrelevant regarding any stigma, more stigma i've gotten from just being myself. it's like "ultimate freak" burned onto my forehead. my point is AS itself causes the trauma, or the way it clashes with an NT world.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:09:32 PM by Hannahfan »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: