Educational

Author Topic: Help me  (Read 476 times)

ozymandias

Re: Help me
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:33:47 PM »
We had a similar problem and had our memory increased to 512k and had symantec/norton antivirus deleted as well as weatherbug.  As they were the source of all the slow downs in accessing our forums and web sites.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »
My computer is barely functioning right now. I think all the memory might be used up, but it won't let me go into task manager. Everytime I click something it takes about five minuets to react. Earlier this week I decided I was going to remformat it, but then it got a lot worse and now I can't even back anything up. Any suggestions any of you guys have would be very much appreciated~

Reboot it in fail safe mode (press F8 when booting) and allocate less hard disk space to the pagefile.

How do you do this?
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »
I have a good 40 gigs I'd want to back up.

Buy 3.5" hard drive. Make sure that it conforms to the interface that your computer uses (SATA, or IDE/PATA) Set the Jumper supplied with the drive to the setting that allows it to be used as a non-bootable slave drive. Open your computer case, ( Make sure that your computer is OFF when you do this. Also, make sure that the new hard drive has at least the capacity of the information that you want to backup, more space is invariably better. -- You may be able to get a used drive cheaper than a new one.

If you have space in your computer case, place the hard drive on end, with the interface facing up, or lay it down on the bottom of your computer case, making sure that the PCB on the hard drive is not touching anything. unplug the data cable from the hard drive that is already mounted in your case, and plug it back in, ensuring that the data interface socket on the end of the cable is free.  --Plug this into the Hard drive that you have just purchased.

Also, if you have no extra IDE PSU cable in your computer case, you may need to get one. If you need to get one, look at the motherboard in your computer for the proper minisocket and plug the corresponding end of the cable into that, and the other end into the power socket of your Hard Drive.

Boot your computer. -- If you are running windows, it will recognise the new hardware, and give your hard drive a corresponding drive letter. You may now back up your files to your new drive.

After backing it up, you may want to disconnect the cabling from the drive, and place it back in it's antistatic bag and store it until after you wipe the existing drive and reinstall the OS. PLug it back up after you reinstall Windows, and then copy the information from it to your old drive.
--If you copy the info instead of transferring the info, you'll still have a backup available if you fuck up your original Hard drive again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:12:55 PM by ASpHole »
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »
My computer is barely functioning right now. I think all the memory might be used up, but it won't let me go into task manager. Everytime I click something it takes about five minuets to react. Earlier this week I decided I was going to remformat it, but then it got a lot worse and now I can't even back anything up. Any suggestions any of you guys have would be very much appreciated~

Reboot it in fail safe mode (press F8 when booting) and allocate less hard disk space to the pagefile.

How do you do this?

Hold your windows key (next to Ctrl) and then hit Pause/break.   This will bring up your System Properties.

System Properties > Advanced Tab > Performance Options (settings) > (new window) Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory (Change button)
:P   Internets are super serious.