Poll

Do you think that members shouldn't have the right for their settings to be protected from admins altering them whenever they want?

Members settings shouldn't be protected.
1 (7.7%)
Members settings should be protected.
7 (53.8%)
Members settings should be the least of our worries
4 (30.8%)
Members setting the ground work for a structured society with a shitload of rules.
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Admins abilities  (Read 2609 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Admins abilities
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 06:40:58 AM »
Not I, and I didn't mean to imply that I had.? I just have some doubt in your impulse-control issues as far as not tweaking the admiin stuff here and there even if it's "forbidden."

you want honesty?

i would do it one hundred times more often, if i was told that i couldn't.

here is an example:

remember how i was supposed to debate vivi about how intensity would reopen and establish ground rules.
here is what i did:
i got all beligerant and said some very offensive stuff, on purpose.? i crossed my own threshhold.? why?? i wanted to establish that we (I? community) will not be told how to behave.? remember neuroman said it was like a locker room in there?? That was by design. you say we cannot, then we do it to prove that we can.
I lost a friend and Intensity lost the connection with the neurolands, because i refused to allow any of you to be limited by what you can do.

Ozy, the reason i am so pissy about all this is because of how fucking hard i have foughten for some people to have the ability to be themselves, they want to take away my ability to be myself.? presumably in appreciation.

if anyone cares to limit me or my abilities i have two words:
Fuck Off.

If you don't like it, vote with your feet.? i will not conform or be held in check.? and i support your right to not conform as well.? be yourselves.? If yourselves are a bunch of crybaby pussies who are afraid of an avatar prank, then i don't belong here.? although i like pussy, i don't like that variety telling me how to behave.
and i really hate the idea of someone or some people imposing rules on others.

i still haven't seen the McJaggers Success thread yet.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:55:57 AM by McJagger »
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »
Comment:

I really don't see admin abilities as an issue, simply because it boils down to one thing - trust. With responsibility comes a trust issue. Regardless of what artificial limits you place on what admins can and can't do, the question remains whether or not you trust them to act in the best interests of the site, and not to abuse their authority. And there will always be people willing to see ill intent where none exists. For these reasons I don't favour restriction on what admins can and cannot do.

Please note I am not muddling this with the issue of sockpuppets, anyone can abuse sockpuppets. the only issue there is whether or not we berate members publicly for abusing them, or remove the duplicates' ability to give their controller several potential votes/karma uses. I don't give much of a toss really, the proposal I made seemed like a reasonable compromise to me. Meh.

What would you see as gang bullying, McJagger? Just curious. I hope my actions don't fall into that category - I've certainly been piling on Happeh a lot lately (because I think he's asked for it, frankly. which is the whole point of having to own your words and back them up).

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »
i have been gang bullied and so has happeh and postperson.  the three of us have asked for it, IMO.

fluorescent and RobertN have been gang bullied.

Quirky carla was but she is crafty and made three new friends from her experience.

i have seen PMS Elle gang bullied.

these are to name a few.  And i was using it as an example.  people may join the mob and gang bully if they wish to.  i won't be the person preaching to limit others.
Misunderstood.

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 08:36:50 AM »
I think we need some rules, since people are often inclined to abuse their power, like Peegai did just now.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 08:48:04 AM »
Why do we need rules when we can just kick people out by consensus?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 08:49:25 AM »
then cast your vote that we should be limited.

next we will begin imposing more elaborate rules for the entire community.
we will draft a living TOS.
and eventually we will be just like our nieghbors.

is that what you all want. ?then vote it in. ?its all up to you. ?but i'll be damned if i allow you to limit me without retaliation. ?you cant simply take from me without losing something yourself.

and why is this a one man battle. ?why can't anybody else chime in on the side of freedom?
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 08:51:52 AM »

yes, you un-ablers are not doing your duty.  If you are under the thumb of some tyrannical leader.  Vote my ass out.
the democratic process still works.

And Namoken i changed your poll because your poll answers lead to bias.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »

yes, you un-ablers are not doing your duty.? If you are under the thumb of some tyrannical leader.? Vote my ass out.

And yet you didn't let us revote with the new... uh... "unbiased"... options available.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 09:53:36 AM »

yes, you un-ablers are not doing your duty.  If you are under the thumb of some tyrannical leader.  Vote my ass out.

Don't tell me what to do.  I'm currently have no objection to your continued position as admin, so why would I vote you out?  Although I disagree with your actions sometimes, it's not sufficient to outweight the excellent job you do, and I don't know of anyone better suited to it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »

yes, you un-ablers are not doing your duty.? If you are under the thumb of some tyrannical leader.? Vote my ass out.

And yet you didn't let us revote with the new... uh... "unbiased"... options available.

or a better way of approaching that would be to ask if i locked the poll.
not to my knowledge.

i will look now.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 11:14:28 AM »
nope, new votes have been cast.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 11:17:15 AM »
think what was meant was could people switch their vote to a new option. fixed now to allow change of vote. :)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »
oops.

:-[
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »

Don't tell me what to do.? I'm currently have no objection to your continued position as admin, so why would I vote you out?? Although I disagree with your actions sometimes, it's not sufficient to outweight the excellent job you do, and I don't know of anyone better suited to it.

the photo of fluorescent is back.
it was a snap decision.
didn't you read his response?  i thought you had done him in.  there needed to be a cooling off period so we could get a chance to massage the situation.  we do have some responsibilities.  and the major one is to make sure that some members do not go over the deep end.

peter my lad, what will i ever do with you.
tsk tsk /shakes head/
Misunderstood.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 11:23:49 AM »
if anyone cares to limit me or my abilities i have two words:
Fuck Off.

If you don't like it, vote with your feet.  i will not conform or be held in check.  and i support your right to not conform as well.  be yourselves. 

well, this sounds hypocritical to me mcj, seeing as how you've recently gone on about the way i speak, which is limiting my abilities, and trying to enforce your rules on me.

what about paedophiles' right to abuse children?  what about dictators' right to torture and murder people who disagree with them?  what about a government's right to boot you out of a job with no redundancy pay?

load of fucking piffle.