Author Topic: Ask Anti-Agony Aunt thread!  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
Re: Ask Anti-Agony Aunt thread!
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2006, 02:36:24 PM »
so you are something of a literary buff

says who?

anyway... anything by dickens or austen, cos they both needed shooting at birth, and saving me the HORROR of having to read them.

most of the russians - CHEER UP , for fuck's sake!  and i can't remember all those fucking names, so make them easier to remember.  mainly.  am okay with other non-english names, though, so fuck knows why the russian ones give me so much trouble.

asimov.  why?  why?

what else do you consider classic, then?  went my own way as far as reading goes, after 'O' Level english (i was 15), so not sure of the definition.

oh, but one thing which really annoys me, just recently - what's with all these books being pulished which claim to be novels, and are short stories, supposedly "linked"?  i mean david mitchell's "cloud atlas" and "ghostwritten", and the paul theroux book i've just abandoned (how many stories about child sex abuse do i want to read, when it's made into something which is supposed to be amusing - nasty cunt).  and i know that's what they're doing - linking several short stories, very tenuously indeed (especially in the case of mitchell), cos i did it with my third book.  although mine was far better linked than theirs, so ner.

FUCKING WANKERS !!

that answer your question?

Quite :)
And it would seem you are a bit of a buff just going by your being about 5 times as opinionated as I could ever be.
The main  book I had in mind when I wrote that question was Ulysses, I just couldn't get past the weird fucking language.  But I'm sure there are many many others that I've just forgotten.
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2006, 03:08:33 PM »
JAMES FUCKING JOYCE!!!

cunt!

i had to suffer "portrait of the artist as a very very VERY long sentence without any breaks whatsoever" for my sins, on the M.A.  "ulysses" should be reported to Amnesty International, if you ask me.  oh except the "yes, yes, yes!" bit by molly, cos that's cool.  well, it was when katie bush used it in "sensual world", anyway.  ;)

and i'm not opinionated, i have opinions, which is a very different thing.  now fuck off, and do not reply until you can explain what that difference is.   or expect to be called a tosspot.

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »

and i'm not opinionated, i have opinions, which is a very different thing.  now fuck off, and do not reply until you can explain what that difference is.   or expect to be called a tosspot.
:laugh:
After looking up the precise definition, yeah you're right I used the wrong word.

anyway, for some reason I'm considering picking up the 1000-page monstrosity "Atlas Shrugged"
Am I brave or just stupid?
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
hmmmm...  looks as though it could be interesting, but ayn rand's politics are faaaaaaaaar away from mine, and the writing's supposed to be atrocious.

tell you what, you read it, and tell me what happens, okay?