Author Topic: what... are... you... READING  (Read 33936 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: what... are... you... READING
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
(I own too many books. My wife wants me to screamline my books (YET again!!) and fucking give some MORE away, FFS!)

I could never agree to that sort of thing. Never.

I get to choose who and which ones. I have given many books away to special people, but just the right book, if I can.

I donated a few hundred (sixteen good sized boxes) to the local library (I died a bit) when we sold our big house and moved into this one. She laughs at me when I go there and check one of them out to re-read.
:D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
Classics, indeed. I have three different translations of Odyssey and Iliad,  two of Homeric Hymns  and  Phocais, one each of Thebaid, Nostoi,  and  Epigone.

Another one of my personal heroes, Homer! I keep him near my toilet, just in case.

(I own too many books. My wife wants me to screamline my books (YET again!!) and fucking give some MORE away, FFS!)

that is a capital offence, at least!   :grrr:

It's a physical space "lack-of" thing. I must choose between music I have heard and books I have read.

It sucks, but I can't stop buying books or music. I just don't have any place to keep them forever.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:14:41 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
I donated a few hundred (sixteen good sized boxes) to the local library (I died a bit) when we sold our big house and moved into this one. She laughs at me when I go there and check one of them out to re-read.
I'd do the same thing, I know it!  :laugh:

Don't think I could donate many books.  I always scribble so many notes in most of mine.
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
I feel your pain :P  My mum always moans that I buy too many books.  I have to keep them in several stacks around my room because there is no space for them  :laugh:

I have the Rieu translation, do you know it?

Yes, quite. I found a reciting of that one on CD for my son. I don't know how much of it he actually absorbed, but the narrator's accent intrigued him and he finished the collection.
I ripped it. I'll have to look and see if I noted the voice talent.**

**Ian McKlellan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:28:29 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
I'd do the same thing, I know it!  :laugh:

Don't think I could donate many books.  I always scribble so many notes in most of mine.

That's cool. Why not?

ozymandias

« Reply #620 on: September 22, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »

I get to choose who and which ones. I have given many books away to special people, but just the right book, if I can.

I hear you, but I have given away more books than I can count for the following reasons:

A) No space
B) I'll never read them again.
C) Lost interest in the subject
D) I have read it so many times that I have the plot memorized.
E) I am so tired of carting them around from place to place to place
F) It frees up more space to buy more books!    THAT IS THE PRIMARY REASON!   :evillaugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #621 on: September 22, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »

I hear you, but I have given away more books than I can count for the following reasons:

A) No space
B) I'll never read them again.
C) Lost interest in the subject
D) I have read it so many times that I have the plot memorized.
E) I am so tired of carting them around from place to place to place
F) It frees up more space to buy more books!    THAT IS THE PRIMARY REASON!   :evillaugh:

Saw right through me, eh?

:headbang2:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #622 on: October 04, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »
A technical book on oil burners
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #623 on: October 05, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »
"what you make it" (short stories) by michael marshall smith; "the intruders" by michael marshall (yes, it's the same person); "the criminal mind: a writer's guide to forensic psychology" by katherine ramsland.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #624 on: October 05, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »
"the criminal mind: a writer's guide to forensic psychology" by katherine ramsland.

That one sounds REALLY interesting... I might buy that also.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #625 on: October 05, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »
"the criminal mind: a writer's guide to forensic psychology" by katherine ramsland.

i'll let you know, shall i?

the problem for me is that it's by an american psychologist, so some of it isn't pertinent to brit crime and stuff.  :(

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #626 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

Yes please :green:

Question: why is it different in England... is it the phraseology. Surely we have similar crimes in the UK as in the US... I thought it was only the English language and the NHS that separated the two nations.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #627 on: October 05, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »

Yes please :green:

Question: why is it different in England... is it the phraseology. Surely we have similar crimes in the UK as in the US... I thought it was only the English language and the NHS that separated the two nations.

police procedures are different, plus diagnosis and treatment, generally.

it hasn't been a problem so far, but i'm sort of being a cassandra about it.  i'm not terribly good at optimism.  :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #628 on: October 05, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
"what you make it" (short stories) by michael marshall smith; "the intruders" by michael marshall (yes, it's the same person); "the criminal mind: a writer's guide to forensic psychology" by katherine ramsland.

That Katherine Ramsland? Anne Rice's #1 fan? :o
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
"Beggar's Banquet" by Ian Rankin, and "The Tony Blair Years" by Alastair Campbell.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein