Author Topic: what... are... you... READING  (Read 33935 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: what... are... you... READING
« Reply #585 on: August 31, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #586 on: September 06, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »
Brilliant observations.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #587 on: September 07, 2008, 04:53:51 AM »
Fascinating. I just checked out the site.

BTW, Pea -
Quote from: Michael Brooks
11. FREE WILL

EVERY day, we live under the spell of an illusion: that our conscious mind is autonomous, and in control of our bodies and decisions. We think we have free will, yet as neuroscience digs ever deeper into the mystery of the human brain, that delusion becomes harder to justify. We are, as one neuroscientist told me as he used a powerful magnet to take control of my body’s movements, brain-machines.

This runs contrary to our every impulse. Our gut instinct, our experience, is that we make the decisions to move, to think, to eat, to steal, to lie, to punch and kick. We have constructed the entire edifice of our civilisation on this idea. Is science wrong when it says free will is a delusion? If not, what does it mean for our sense of self? And for our morality – can we prosecute people for acts over which they had no conscious control?

this is fascinating.  i'd chuck jungian theories about collective unconscious into the mix as well.  (but then, you know i'd say that ;) ).

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #588 on: September 07, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
'Jack the Ripper: First American Serial Killer' by Stewart Evans.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #589 on: September 07, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
this is fascinating.  i'd chuck jungian theories about collective unconscious into the mix as well.  (but then, you know i'd say that ;) ).

I'm not convinced that free will isn't a red herring dilemma, like nature vs nurture (some of both, morons!), or demanding the existence of god be proven (don't hammer a nail with a screwdriver). So I don't think it actually has a place on a list of mysteries that will be answered in the near future. But evidently there are people who think otherwise.

My guess is free will vs determinism will turn out to be a "some of both" answer.

I do think that what Jung calls a collective unconscious will be found to have a proven scientific basis, though. It's like the firmware of the human brain.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #590 on: September 07, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

I'm not convinced that free will isn't a red herring dilemma, like nature vs nurture (some of both, morons!), or demanding the existence of god be proven (don't hammer a nail with a screwdriver). So I don't think it actually has a place on a list of mysteries that will be answered in the near future. But evidently there are people who think otherwise.

:agreed:  some people like getting involved in such non-subjects cos they can gas on about it forever, without being forced to demonstrate that they know what they're talking about.  :laugh:

My guess is free will vs determinism will turn out to be a "some of both" answer.

absolutely agree: as you said above, completely congruent with the nature/nuture debate.

I do think that what Jung calls a collective unconscious will be found to have a proven scientific basis, though. It's like the firmware of the human brain.

i like that analogy.   :thumbup:

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #591 on: September 10, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »
I'm reading The Electric Church by Jeff Somers - probably the best scifi book I have read for a long time. I'm up to page 100, but I can't be bothered reading it at the moment - I don't have the patience. Fucking good book though.

Also Murder.com by Chirstopher Berry-Dee and Steven Morris -  a book about some of the sick fucks you may find on the internets.  :zoinks:
batcat

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »

Mixed in some John Irving. (Still studying symmetry and now Vista [I need to]) I had forgotten how clever he can be.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
"Black & Blue" by Ian Rankin
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #594 on: September 11, 2008, 03:29:31 AM »
"A Pirates Daughter",   about a child of Errol Flynn's, who grew up in Jamaca... 
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #595 on: September 11, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »
Just started "Legacy Of The Force: Betrayal" by Aaron Allston.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2008, 09:51:23 PM »
"A Pirates Daughter",   about a child of Errol Flynn's, who grew up in Jamaca... 

Still reading A pirates daughter,   and I am already looking forward to reading it again!...
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Blasted

« Reply #597 on: September 14, 2008, 05:45:42 AM »
Herman Hesse - Steppenwolf

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #598 on: September 18, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #599 on: September 18, 2008, 12:17:40 PM »
just bought a book by gavin cologne-brookes (whom i know, starfucker that i am), called "if i'm ever back this way" which is a fictionalised story about a trip round the states.  i got half a page in and had to stop reading and walking (yes, i was reading on the way from the uni library to my office - i AM that bookworm!) to laugh out loud and frighten a student.  :laugh:

it's brilliant!  can't wait to read more - i got a couple of pages further in, but steeled myself to abandon it so i can finish what i started reading yesterday (a rankin).