Educational

Author Topic: what... are... you... READING  (Read 33935 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: what... are... you... READING
« Reply #1395 on: October 13, 2023, 07:46:49 AM »
A volcano book by the British Vulcanologist, Clive Oppenheimer, he is a good writer for a scientist.  It's not loaded with science jargon, but, full of information that is easy to read for a layman like me.  But, doesn't "speak down" to me either.  The chapter I am on is particularly fascinating since he is writing about his time at a super volcano site in North Korea along the border with China and like Yellowstone it is quivering and shaking and has the North Koreans AND chinese very worried.  There has always so little info about it for obvious reasons politically that it is so fascinating for me to read.   :book:
^Yellowstone is quivering and shaking?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #1396 on: October 13, 2023, 08:10:29 AM »
A volcano book by the British Vulcanologist, Clive Oppenheimer, he is a good writer for a scientist.  It's not loaded with science jargon, but, full of information that is easy to read for a layman like me.  But, doesn't "speak down" to me either.  The chapter I am on is particularly fascinating since he is writing about his time at a super volcano site in North Korea along the border with China and like Yellowstone it is quivering and shaking and has the North Koreans AND chinese very worried.  There has always so little info about it for obvious reasons politically that it is so fascinating for me to read.   :book:
^Yellowstone is quivering and shaking?

Yellowstone is always shaking as it's above a hot spot, but, the volcano in North Korea is puzzling as there is nothing to explain why it even exists where it is.  At least as far as they know yet.

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1397 on: October 13, 2023, 06:42:17 PM »
The Gunslinger
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1398 on: October 14, 2023, 03:16:14 AM »

Is he the one who invented the Volcano bomb?

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1399 on: October 14, 2023, 06:53:54 AM »
No
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1400 on: October 16, 2023, 09:42:29 PM »
I've just started reading Shift, the second book in the Silo trilogy. It doesn't have anything about the silos in it so far. It's like a different story.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »
Just got another huge encyclopedic historical book on Jazz Music history of the twentieth century.

I have only just popped it open so far, but I will have reading to do for fun for a while.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1402 on: October 18, 2023, 04:10:36 AM »
I've just started reading Shift, the second book in the Silo trilogy. It doesn't have anything about the silos in it so far. It's like a different story.

What kind of silos?  You tell me something is called "The Silo Trilogy" and I imagine it's about futuristic corn

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1403 on: October 19, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
I am getting through all the literature they sent me from the audiologist.

I have an appointment coming up soon to help me possibly improve my 68 year old hearing. Troubles with which seem to have become more troubling in the past year.

There are "steps" to prepare for a proper hearing test to help them achieve the best, most accurate results.
I had no idea!

I am to avoid any tool use up close, avoid any extended travel of any kind, cars planes, etc. I can not attend any concerts - DUH! I should get three days of good restful sleep - like - what the fuck is that?  I don't remember having any of those, ever.

Even says to shower the day before but not the day of the appointment, because the possibility of water retention inside the inner ears will skew the tests.

It's a huge fucking pamphlet!

There's a lot!  Like shower before? Why the fuck would anyone want to do that. Who the fuck wants to get wet? Stupid!

Kidding!  To me, it's not getting to shower the day of that pisses me off. I like to shower every morning.

Anyway, in a couple of weeks I will have my third hearing test.
Last two said they could not help me, because my other ear was too good and it would not ignore the bone conduction of the sound coming from the aid device in the bad ear.
FUCKing shenanigans, if you ask me!

Those puny lightweight, manbunned, pencil-neck, loafer wearing, no dick, wimpy bastards did not like my insurance if the truth came out.
 :lol1:

I now have better "quality of life" benefits than we had before so maybe the insurance thing is a none issue.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:50:59 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1404 on: October 19, 2023, 09:34:04 PM »

What kind of silos?  You tell me something is called "The Silo Trilogy" and I imagine it's about futuristic corn

I just noticed the second book is called Shift, so now I'm thinking werewolves in Ohio.  In the future

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1405 on: October 20, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
A biography of George Orwell

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1406 on: October 20, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
Okay, so there's two right now

1.  Golden by Shannon Mayer.  About a female werewolf who gets turned into a golden retriever then finds her true love.  Apparently book 1 of a series  :mischief:
2.  Gryphon Rider Academy: Year 3 by Elise Hennessy.  The name seems self explanatory.  Lol. 

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1407 on: October 21, 2023, 03:45:37 AM »
I just noticed the second book is called Shift, so now I'm thinking werewolves in Ohio.  In the future
There's a tv series called Silo available on Apple. It's based on the Silo trilogy which are called Wool, Shift and Dust. The Silos themselves are built underground with 100+ levels. Everything required to live and work there is provided. There are screens on the top levels to show what happened to the world. Yes, it's post-apocalyptic. Anyone who ventures outside dies, even if they're wearing a protective suit. Except a woman called Juliette. She manages to disappear from sight of her silo's camera. What happens next is part of the Silo story.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1408 on: October 21, 2023, 07:09:50 PM »
There's a tv series called Silo available on Apple. It's based on the Silo trilogy which are called Wool, Shift and Dust. The Silos themselves are built underground with 100+ levels. Everything required to live and work there is provided. There are screens on the top levels to show what happened to the world. Yes, it's post-apocalyptic. Anyone who ventures outside dies, even if they're wearing a protective suit. Except a woman called Juliette. She manages to disappear from sight of her silo's camera. What happens next is part of the Silo story.

Damn it, now you got me sucked in, hahaha

Do they still have corn?  And if so, does it take place in what used to be Ohio? :autism:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1409 on: October 21, 2023, 11:28:40 PM »
^Yep, they grow corn. They have food Growing levels.

The Silos are located in Georgia, in sight of Atlanta.

Each silo is different in their customs and traditions. Some have lifts/elevators while in others, there are only stairs.
Tek'ma'tae