Educational

Author Topic: what... are... you... READING  (Read 33916 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: what... are... you... READING
« Reply #1170 on: December 03, 2019, 08:30:23 PM »

I have been over (for the fifth time) one hundred seventeen PDFs which are related to my next JBL Studio  Monitor build.
Most of that is graphic, so it not so much reading as "taking it all into your soul."

I hope to have this project begun by spring. Getting the proper lumber is a long process where I live. No Marine or Baltic plywood available to me, unless I order in advance, which I have already done, but the delivery time is absurdly long.
Late January for an order than went in in November.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1171 on: December 03, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
 For real reading, I have kind of paused a bit, but I am in the midst of "The Andromeda Strain Evolution" which was published posthumously by the staff of Michael Crichton's publishing company.

I am kind of a Crichton fan.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1172 on: December 05, 2019, 12:03:50 AM »
I've read a few Michael Chrichton books. Mostly his medical ones.

Now reading another Pern book; Red Star Rising.

I would like a dragon.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #1173 on: December 05, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
Still trying to decide out of my book pile!   :GA:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1174 on: December 05, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »
I finished Scent of Darkness. Very dark and twisty. I really enjoyed it although I definitely had no idea of what I was getting into when I started reading it but I'd recommend it.

Just about to start True Crime Addict by James Renner
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1175 on: December 05, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
The latest Smithsonian Magazine.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1176 on: December 07, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
I've read a few Michael Chrichton books. Mostly his medical ones.

Now reading another Pern book; Red Star Rising.

I would like a dragon.

McCaffery was the first "fantasy" author I ever got my wife to read. I had several Pern books lying around and usually kept an older one next to the bed. One day she asked about it and I gave her a half assed description. She got curious.
Before that, all she ever read was older classics. She absolutely despised my obsession with Shakespeare though, which went on for about three years. She was more interested in "To Kill A Mockingbird" and such as that. Things that I had read before I got to high school.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1177 on: December 07, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
Rock and Gem magazine

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1178 on: December 09, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »
Reading Harry Potter to the kid, age doesn't matter,readi g to and being read to can be great at any age.
Rereading Duncton Wood, after a very long time. It's still awesome.
Reading a book about a type of divination, the reading of ladypurses. It's intriguing. Lots of mayhaps, coincidences, asking of questions, cold reading, combined with ethics. I can see how this might work really well. Just like any open and honest conversation can be wholesome. But with the contents of the purse as metaphors or subjects to anchor the talk.
So far, I really like it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1179 on: December 09, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
A book about New England Earthquakes in history. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1180 on: December 12, 2019, 01:53:44 AM »
Been doing a lot of sciencey reading and just generally dodging where the tangents intersect points along the massive sphere of what I think of as my brain, but ...

I have begun a conscious effort to re-explore all the Larry Niven works.
I had only known about seven of "his laws."

I found this on wiki, yesterday, but shit!! Check it out. You might have to understand the universe in which he writes to get some of his rules.

His rules:

:

Never throw shit at an armed man.
Never stand next to someone who is throwing shit at an armed man.
Never fire a laser at a mirror.
Mother Nature doesn't care if you're having fun.
F × S = k. The product of Freedom and Security is a constant. To gain more freedom of thought and/or action, you must give up some security, and vice versa.
Psi and/or magical powers, if real, are nearly useless.
It is easier to destroy than create.
Any damn fool can predict the past.
History never repeats itself.
Ethics change with technology.
There Ain't No Justice. (often abbreviated to TANJ)
Anarchy is the least stable of social structures. It falls apart at a touch.
There is a time and place for tact. And there are times when tact is entirely misplaced.
The ways of being human are bounded but infinite.
The world's dullest subjects, in order:
Somebody else's diet.
How to make money for a worthy cause.
Special Interest Liberation.
The only universal message in science fiction: There exist minds that think as well as you do, but differently.
Niven's corollary: The gene-tampered turkey you're talking to isn't necessarily one of them.
Fuzzy Pink Niven's Law: Never waste calories.
There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it.
in variant form in Fallen Angels as "Niven's Law: No cause is so noble that it won't attract fuggheads."[5]
No technique works if it isn't used.
Not responsible for advice not taken.
Old age is not for sissies.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1181 on: December 12, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Just started We Were The Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter last night.

"It is the spring of 1939 and three generations of the Kurc family are doing their best to live normal lives, even as the shadow of war grows closer. The talk around the family Seder table is of new babies and budding romance, not of the increasing hardships threatening Jews in their hometown of Radom, Poland. But soon the horrors overtaking Europe will become inescapable and the Kurcs will be flung to the far corners of the world, each desperately trying to navigate his or her own path to safety.

As one sibling is forced into exile, another attempts to flee the continent, while others struggle to escape certain death, either by working grueling hours on empty stomachs in the factories of the ghetto or by hiding as gentiles in plain sight. Driven by an unwavering will to survive and by the fear that they may never see one another again, the Kurcs must rely on hope, ingenuity, and inner strength to persevere."
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1182 on: December 12, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
Reading this board.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1183 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

I think it is interesting how Niven co-wrote with some individuals who were not actual writers, but scientists in other fields, with wild ideas.

According to his website there are several works in varying stages still unfinished. Even some work begun with Jerry Pournelle before his death. Can not wait to re-read "Oath Of Fealty." I feel that one was one of his best, even if it was co-written.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1184 on: December 14, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
A biography of Carrie Fisher.