Educational

Author Topic: new member  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: new member
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »
I have the same objection with the Chaotic Neutral alignment.  People often characterise them as lunatics, gambling away everything on a whim and so forth.  But why?  All it means is that, a) one rejects legal frameworks, i.e. is an anarchist, and b) that one has an ambiguous moral sense, choosing actions not because they are 'good' per se, but for other (variable) reasons.
Maybe not just rejecting legal frameworks, but rejecting rational thought (frontal lobes/superego/higher order thought/whatever-you-want-to-call-it) as the most valid way of understanding the multiverse. A person who lives by instinct and feel.

I think that it is/would be a far more common alignment if the madhouse stereotype disappeared.
It would help if Limbo were a little more survivable. Or at the very least a little more defined. It's not just the cosmic mythology that could use a little more science, IMO (still curious about what structure you gave the multiverse if you eliminated alignment-planes) but the Planescape factions and all that logically follows from them. I've been itching to rewrite the Xaositects and Ciphers for a while, or all of them for that matter. They don't make sense - some are universal methods, some are reactions to specific cosmological factors and only pay cursory note to philosophy, and some (bleakers and sinkers?) are the same damn idea, just rewritten with surface details changed.

Oh, this seems like rather a different question!  For myself, I always saw it more in terms of a higher 'birth-rate' (or whatever).  The Baatezu are clever strategists, whereas the Tanar'ri rely on sheer numbers.
Which leads me to wonder why the Baazetu wouldn't have figured that out and started breeding/recruitment programs to catch up. For it to hold, there must be some huge environmental factor in the structure of Baatar that prevents numbers. Look at Earth - the more organized military force, given equal numbers and terrain, almost always prevails over the undisciplined one.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline morthaur

• Dungeon Master of the Aspie Élite
  • Part of the Chaos
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2007, 01:19:15 AM »
Maybe not just rejecting legal frameworks, but rejecting rational thought (frontal lobes/superego/higher order thought/whatever-you-want-to-call-it) as the most valid way of understanding the multiverse. A person who lives by instinct and feel.
My reading of the alignments may be biased by my attempts at psychological and political realism.  Each of the core alignments seems quite closely to approximate a standard position in either political or ethical philosophy; at least enough so for my purposes.  And my reading of CN is probably biased by too-long study of libertarian thought.  ;D  I guess that I just don't see the need for a fundamental 'alignment' that suggests one has dispensed with rationality as such.  Thinking of that sort seems far more a matter of personal makeup (whether psychological or neurological or what-have-you), and it veers too closely to what we could politely refer to as a mild dysfunction...  :laugh:  A chaotic temperament would definitely be based more on instinct and feel, as you say, but does that imply the absence of reason?  I certainly do not think that the rejection of hierarchy is unreasonable...

... It's not just the cosmic mythology that could use a little more science, IMO (still curious about what structure you gave the multiverse if you eliminated alignment-planes) but the Planescape factions and all that logically follows from them. I've been itching to rewrite the Xaositects and Ciphers for a while, or all of them for that matter. They don't make sense...
I'd be curious to see what you come up with; it's been a long time since I've read through the Planescape stuff, but I remember a lot of great starting material.  As for my cosmology, it would take a good long while to really detail it, but I'll post some outlines of it soon.  I've spent a lot of time talking about it this past week, but I can't get to writing it until I get a few more things done first (I have to detail some races that folks want to play, and I need more sharable information on the country they just entered).

Oh, this seems like rather a different question!  For myself, I always saw it more in terms of a higher 'birth-rate' (or whatever).  The Baatezu are clever strategists, whereas the Tanar'ri rely on sheer numbers.
Which leads me to wonder why the Baazetu wouldn't have figured that out and started breeding/recruitment programs to catch up. For it to hold, there must be some huge environmental factor in the structure of Baatar that prevents numbers. Look at Earth - the more organized military force, given equal numbers and terrain, almost always prevails over the undisciplined one.
Over the overtly undisciplined, sure, but not necessarily over the more organised; informal guerrilla armies have notched up an impressive track record.  But for the Baatezu, I suspect we can look to our own history for analogies.  The population of Europe is in decline, and the non-immigrant part of the US is as well.  It seems that the more settled and stable the society, and the more advanced the economy, the less inclination there is for breeding (and, conversely, the more incentive there is for having fun and thinking about yourself).  Even if you got over the ethical nastiness of eugenics, something the Baatezu would not worry over, there is still the question of desire.  If your culture is geared more towards material prosperity and personal advancement, what reason would you have for wanting 13 kids?!  :laugh:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2007, 01:27:24 AM »
Does this look like a good movie to you?

Have you ever seen it?

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 11:02:51 PM »
Does this look like a good movie to you?

Have you ever seen it?
I saw it when it came out and don't much remember it, tho' I definitely recall enjoying it.  I've liked every Depp film I've seen and think he's a fantastic actor.  This one has been on my re-watch list for years but I never manage to get 'round to it.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2007, 04:32:31 AM »
Play any other RPGs?

The_P

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2007, 07:52:07 AM »
Hiya. I'm just an unemployed bum who's a belligerent asshole on the internet.

Thank you. Come again.
Well, you could always get a job and stop bitching...   >:D

Hahaha! Shows what you know about me.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 04:24:08 AM »
Play any other RPGs?
Nope; not for many years.  I've played BattleTech, ShadowRun (original version), Star Wars, Middle Earth Role Playing (orig. vers.), various White Wolf World of Darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage), and a bunch of tiny no-name games.  But it's been soooo long since I've played anything but D&D that the answer is definitely 'no'.   :laugh:

Thank you. Come again.
Absolutely nothing, really.  But should I care to know anything more?  I reckon that anyone who introduces himself by tossing off a childish (and erroneous) insult probably isn't worth my time.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »
Play any other RPGs?
Nope; not for many years.  I've played BattleTech, ShadowRun (original version), Star Wars, Middle Earth Role Playing (orig. vers.), various White Wolf World of Darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage), and a bunch of tiny no-name games.  But it's been soooo long since I've played anything but D&D that the answer is definitely 'no'.   :laugh:

Interesting. Usually those who ended up with D&D
didn't expirement so much. Is it a matter of liking it
better, or of not finding people for the other things?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »
Play any other RPGs?

Thank you. Come again.
Absolutely nothing, really.  But should I care to know anything more?  I reckon that anyone who introduces himself by tossing off a childish (and erroneous) insult probably isn't worth my time.

It might surprise you to learn that Peaguy is actually a very decent person once you get to know him because he often insults people with no reason. 

However, I think that in this case he did not intend to insult you.  It looked to me like he was talking about himself.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »
Play any other RPGs?

Thank you. Come again.

It might surprise you to learn that Peaguy is actually a very decent person once you get to know him because he often insults people with no reason. 

However, I think that in this case he did not intend to insult you.  It looked to me like he was talking about himself.
He's a big cuddly teddy bear on the inside with the voice of an angel. 
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

ozymandias

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
The P is an Intensity Original, oft imitated, but, never duplicated.  He's an equal opportunity flamer! >:D

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »
Play any other RPGs?
Interesting. Usually those who ended up with D&D
didn't expirement so much. Is it a matter of liking it
better, or of not finding people for the other things?
Mostly it is a matter of convenience, as I am usually in the gamemaster's chair and prefer to run games in my own world--which suits the D&D rules better than any other system.  But with some it is just a matter of finding people; I did quite like the WoD stuff and would still play it if I had friends doing so.

Yet he first quoted the part of my post which stated I was a full-time student, following that with a quip about being unemployed.  And the "thank you, come again" is consistent with a sarcastic jibe, not really with a self-deprecating observation.  I would be surprised if the intent was less obvious than it seemed...

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
Yet he first quoted the part of my post which stated I was a full-time student, following that with a quip about being unemployed.  And the "thank you, come again" is consistent with a sarcastic jibe, not really with a self-deprecating observation.  I would be surprised if the intent was less obvious than it seemed...

And yet, Peaguy is the one who is unemployed, not you.  He is the one who often comes across as a belligerent asshole on the internet, not you.

He used to do volunteer work as a gardener for a hospice but I think he stopped to attend catering school.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
And yet, Peaguy is the one who is unemployed, not you.  He is the one who often comes across as a belligerent asshole on the internet, not you.

He used to do volunteer work as a gardener for a hospice but I think he stopped to attend catering school.
Well, he's the best qualified to set this straight!  If he explains his intent, and indeed meant only to refer to himself, I will certainly apologise for mistaking his meaning.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »
Callaway's right - Peaguy's a good guy, once you give him incentive to stop flaming you. He insults strangers and defends friends. You questioned his ability to improve his life, he told you that you were wrong, and it's true. He works to improve himself.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.