Educational

Author Topic: Things that a lone man can't do without arousing suspicion  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Things that a lone man can't do without arousing suspicion
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 02:24:02 PM »

sorry i must have missed your 'evidence': what do i have to counter ? That most male teachers get accused of paedophilia.. that's an hard-one.
You win.

Good move, Kosmo.

You're fighting with a vector-thinker.
What Kosmo forgets to mention is he has an eigenvalue of 1.

That's basically what I am observing in your behavior. You seem to connect two points and after that, all else follows a single vector in your mind. You have everything completely figured and projected forward, represented by a single instance, you may have witnessed.
 ::)
Or I am not used to justifying myself, maybe. Normally I dont have to, and I certainly dont have a collection of sources at my disposal. I have been getting away with not having to retort back for years now.
I am very competitive too.
And i don't like admitting i am wrong ( not IRL - but i dont mind so much on the internets).
A lot of people find this annoying - i would suggest you take up a sport or something (chess, poker), but a sport is better ( martial arts, tennis, whatever).
Oh I have had that cannot bear to lose complex for all my life, in cases it has governed me. I am probably going to start a martial art again when I go to uni, my problem is that I have laughable hand-eye co-ordination. As for chess, it bores me (I used to be really good at it, but that was back when I was about 5). Othello has taken my liking recently, but I am no expert on it. I think i am going to start a lot of stuff at freshers fair, whereever I end up.
Dawg, it probably will do. But I take time to change.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »
But now, you have encountered a massive bevy of masochistic bullshit-callers, who take you to task constantly. It should prove beneficial to you.
'bevy', i like it  :lol:
i think i will be off for a bevy for myself now  :beergrin:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
But now, you have encountered a massive bevy of masochistic bullshit-callers, who take you to task constantly. It should prove beneficial to you.
'bevy', i like it  :lol:
i think i will be off for a bevy for myself now  :beergrin:

Ha! Good idea. I was thinking of a bastardisation which becomes a collective noun, but an assembly of bevies sounds even better.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »

sorry i must have missed your 'evidence': what do i have to counter ? That most male teachers get accused of paedophilia.. that's an hard-one.
You win.

Good move, Kosmo.

That's basically what I am observing in your behavior. You seem to connect two points and after that, all else follows a single vector in your mind. You have everything completely figured and projected forward, represented by a single instance, you may have witnessed.
Or I am not used to justifying myself, maybe. Normally I dont have to, and I certainly dont have a collection of sources at my disposal. I have been getting away with not having to retort back for years now.
And i don't like admitting i am wrong ( not IRL - but i dont mind so much on the internets).
A lot of people find this annoying - i would suggest you take up a sport or something (chess, poker), but a sport is better ( martial arts, tennis, whatever).
Oh I have had that cannot bear to lose complex for all my life, in cases it has governed me. I am probably going to start a martial art again when I go to uni, my problem is that I have laughable hand-eye co-ordination. As for chess, it bores me (I used to be really good at it, but that was back when I was about 5). Othello has taken my liking recently, but I am no expert on it. I think i am going to start a lot of stuff at freshers fair, whereever I end up.

No problem. This may help.

*hands Hadron a double sized Humility Suppository*
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »

You win.

Good move, Kosmo.

No problem. This may help.

*hands Hardon a double sized Humility Suppository*
:lol:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
you forgot the plunger, dawg.

anyway, hadron, most male teachers don't get accused of being paedophiles.  but i dare say everyone will be shocked to discover that an actual teacher might know more about it than you.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 12:19:13 AM »
One of the things that would make me most nervous as a guy would be helping a lost child.  I'd be worried that if I had anything to do with a lost kid, I'd be charged with abduction or something.

you could get a female friend to come with you if you need to return the toddler to the parents. :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 05:55:43 AM »
One of the things that would make me most nervous as a guy would be helping a lost child.  I'd be worried that if I had anything to do with a lost kid, I'd be charged with abduction or something.

you could get a female friend to come with you if you need to return the toddler to the parents. :P

I don't have any friends IRL, female or otherwise.  :P
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 06:12:14 AM »

You would still be under suspicion and in my town grilled by the police who turn any nervousness or lack of eye contact into guilt in their minds :grrr:  I'm married so I can call my wife but still it makes me nervous.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »

You would still be under suspicion and in my town grilled by the police who turn any nervousness or lack of eye contact into guilt in their minds :grrr:  I'm married so I can call my wife but still it makes me nervous.

I believe that would happen here, too.
I remember finding a child crying on the sidewalk, once. A neighbor kid too young to be out alone. I called the cops, myself. I pissed off the other neighbor who wanted save her friend (the useless mother) the investigation, but it felt like the right thing to do.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »

I remember finding a child crying on the sidewalk, once. A neighbor kid too young to be out alone. I called the cops, myself. I pissed off the other neighbor who wanted save her friend (the useless mother) the investigation, but it felt like the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong I would help but it makes me worry and it was the right thing to do screw the lady who can't watch after her kid and the neighbor, you were watching for the kid not them.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
maybe your sister then.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 11:40:20 PM »

Don't get me wrong I would help but it makes me worry and it was the right thing to do screw the lady who can't watch after her kid and the neighbor, you were watching for the kid not them.

If you were screwing this lady, why would you want to get her
in trouble?

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 05:05:49 AM »
I was just reading this, and it got me thinking; what things can't I, as an unaccompanied male, do without making people suspect that I'm a paedophile?

Nougat, crocodiles and lavender hold Anthony Peregrine's attention in Drôme.

The woman behind the cash desk looked suspicious. "Are you alone?" she asked. I glanced around, to ensure I had not been joined by a coach party.

"Apparently," I said. She looked even more suspicious, and no wonder. There is something deeply wrong about a lone man of mature years seeking entry to an establishment called Le Palais des Bonbons et du Nougat (Palace of Sweets and Nougat).

I went in anyway. I had to. I was in Montélimar, which, as we all know, is the European centre of nougat production. This is neither more, nor less, impressive than being world capital of pear drops.

I wandered about entranced. I learnt of Alexander the Great's role in sugar history, admired sugar sculptures and listened to the Archies over the PA (Sugar Sugar - this place doesn't miss a trick). I smiled at children, whose mothers gathered them in rather abruptly, and thoughtlessly entered a competition to win my own weight in sweetmeats. I now live in fear of the postman staggering up the drive under a 13-stone slab of nougat.

Can I go to a park where there are young children?  Can I go to a fairground?  How about watching a Disney film at the cinema?  It seems that for a lot of things, guys need something to legitimise their presence; a dog, a kid of their own or friends, while women seem more able to do things alone without having people think the worst about their motivations.

I agree with you Peter, that men alone in some situations might be seen as perverts etc.  And it's wrong.

However, whilst women may enjoy more social freedoms in this area...I disagree on one point, no women can often not do a lot of things alone - walk down the street at dusk and exercise by themselves...or walk home somewhere isolated by themselves...otherwise if they get attacked they were 'asking for it' for being there alone. 

But, society sucks.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 02:48:49 PM »
I found loitering around playgrounds in a trenchcoat
would get LOTS of interesting attention. Especially
wearing shorts underneath it.