Educational

Author Topic: How sentimental are you?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: How sentimental are you?
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2007, 01:49:44 PM »
DD - did you resolve your original issue?

I met an old crazy scarred up wolf today,
and it lead me to wondering.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »

Yes, I know what to do, now, although a bit more reflection is necessary before I proceed.

How did you know I was a wolf?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »

Yes, I know what to do, now, although a bit more reflection is necessary before I proceed.

How did you know I was a wolf?

These things happen.
I don't have to know.
An old Cheyenne.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
Or he could have pulled it out of the Questions for God thread.  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »
  Ex-hoarder here.  Between getting old enough to feel my mortality, and having
  mouse activity in my apartment and potentially contaminating much of my stuff,
   I've become much less attached to my stuff!  :yarly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
What a great thread and great subject.

Did you find the right time to smoke the pipe, DD?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »
  Ex-hoarder here.  Between getting old enough to feel my mortality, and having
  mouse activity in my apartment and potentially contaminating much of my stuff,
   I've become much less attached to my stuff!  :yarly:

There's a company based in my village, working with elderly people who lose their connection with the world because of dementia. The woman who started it is both a geriatric nurse and an artist. She changed corridors in homes for elderly into nostalgic routes, with pictures that match the world it was when most patients were young. Apparently this activates demented people because it triggers their memories. In the home she started with this project they also try to make individual scrapbooks, so that there can be something the demented person feels secure talking about and thus can connect with their kids or friends.

Throwing everything away may be throwing your whole connection with your past, and with that your connection with the now away.

Yes, most of the stuff I have at home can theoretically go. But there are some things that carry strong, powerful and dear memories. They are part of what made me me. I would not want to miss them.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »
My mother always said keep things that make you feel good, don't keep anything out of a sense of duty or because you feel guilty getting rid of it.

Some may think me strange but I believe things carry "karma","feels" (whatever you want to call it) with them, I don't think I've ever seen them as "just" objects...coffee tastes sweeter in the right cup, but some cups, no matter how nice will always make lousy coffee.

If my memories are good ones, if it makes me feel good...I use it, enjoy it, and keep it for as long as it does. Otherwise I find another caretaker for it...in worse case situations with things that hold memories of illness, grief, stress, or hatred...nothing beats a good cleansing by fire.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
My mother always said keep things that make you feel good, don't keep anything out of a sense of duty or because you feel guilty getting rid of it.

Some may think me strange but I believe things carry "karma","feels" (whatever you want to call it) with them, I don't think I've ever seen them as "just" objects...coffee tastes sweeter in the right cup, but some cups, no matter how nice will always make lousy coffee.

If my memories are good ones, if it makes me feel good...I use it, enjoy it, and keep it for as long as it does. Otherwise I find another caretaker for it...in worse case situations with things that hold memories of illness, grief, stress, or hatred...nothing beats a good cleansing by fire.

Yes.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »
I'm pretty sentimental. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

:agreed: 

I am extremely sentimental more than anybody I know, one of my brothers does come somewhat close though.   I always say things are people too treat them accordingly :2thumbsup: 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2016, 06:14:37 PM »
Not very sentimental. Maybe not at all. 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
Since I know someone (not the PR) will go through my stuff after I'm gone, I have very little sentimentality left.  They're either going to steal it or toss it.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:06 AM »
Since I know someone (not the PR) will go through my stuff after I'm gone, I have very little sentimentality left.  They're either going to steal it or toss it.

I have no sentimentality for the time after I am gone. Only when it comes to my connection with the past. My kids may find their own sentimental value in items that I would overlook, and may think that what I hold dear is nothing. That's OK.

When my grandfather died I got a bunch of things, including his books, because they were somewhat in the field of my interest, so I got them. I had not picked them and I would not have picked them. I had never seen him read a book in my entire life. I also got a plastic box he stored bread for the day in for my grandmother and him. I used that box till it was completely worn, because that was an item with sentimental value for me. For another it was a thing to throw away.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:03 AM »

I have no sentimentality for the time after I am gone. Only when it comes to my connection with the past. My kids may find their own sentimental value in items that I would overlook, and may think that what I hold dear is nothing. That's OK.

When my grandfather died I got a bunch of things, including his books, because they were somewhat in the field of my interest, so I got them. I had not picked them and I would not have picked them. I had never seen him read a book in my entire life. I also got a plastic box he stored bread for the day in for my grandmother and him. I used that box till it was completely worn, because that was an item with sentimental value for me. For another it was a thing to throw away.

I am not sentimenmtal but I am about my children and about Western Australia
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap