Educational

Author Topic: Chemistry is illegal now?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Chemistry is illegal now?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 02:55:04 PM »
This sort of thing worries me on more than one level.  First I enjoy doing amateur  science and already have enough problems with my neighbors thinking I am crazy let alone if the cops ever saw all the stuff I have laying about, nothing illegal just with the way things are today I'd have to do a lot of explaining. Second is the whole nanny state thing of it, that someone might get hurt,  well life is dangerous get used to it.  Third  it's discouraging students from entering science which puts the future of the US in danger.

As far as terrorists go there are plenty other ways they can strike that don't involve any of this stuff remember the way the DC sniper had everyone in a panic. Also is a country like the US infrastructure is very vulnerable to rather simple things like trucks parked on the railway.  You don't need a big bang just a big panic.  A lot of small things spread throughout the country would have a greater effect because people would never know where it would happen next.   
The problem is you would need to build the group who is going to do all those "small" things without being arrested. You have very little chance of pulling that off.

Sure they'd get arrested but it took them months to catch the DC sniper and that was only two people.  They claim to have so many willing to die it shouldn't be a problem for them.  Small things can be anything like the people in DC , hitting a gas pipeline with a small charge or knocking out a power substation. It's not the destruction it's the panic and worry
But you need to form a very large group, its the recruitment aspect of getting 50 people together to do it would ruin the plan. And Al-Qaeda are way too dim to pull anything like this off, and asides it has no command structure to faciliate such an operation.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »
I don't think you need as many as you think to create a panic.  I'm sure as little as five intelegentpeople working together would create lots of panic.  Their main disadvantage seems that the smart ones stay at home in their countries leaving the work here up to the idiots like the ones that wanted to attack Fort Dix.
Then again I really don't feel this should affect  my ability to my hobbies in the sciences at home because I really don't think they will be buying their supplies at companies like Untied Nuclear which is still open by the way.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »
I don't think you need as many as you think to create a panic.  I'm sure as little as five intelegentpeople working together would create lots of panic.  Their main disadvantage seems that the smart ones stay at home in their countries leaving the work here up to the peaguys like the ones that wanted to attack Fort Dix.
Then again I really don't feel this should affect  my ability to my hobbies in the sciences at home because I really don't think they will be buying their supplies at companies like Untied Nuclear which is still open by the way.
I think one exceptional person would suffice. I just dont think those individuals who can pull it off would ever have the inclination, mainly because the system tends to suit them.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
I don't think you need as many as you think to create a panic.  I'm sure as little as five intelegentpeople working together would create lots of panic.  Their main disadvantage seems that the smart ones stay at home in their countries leaving the work here up to the peaguys like the ones that wanted to attack Fort Dix.
I think one exceptional person would suffice. I just dont think those individuals who can pull it off would ever have the inclination, mainly because the system tends to suit them.
Yes sending someone else off to die suits them well

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 05:50:57 AM »
Yes sending someone else off to die suits them well
The exceptional person would have to do it all by themselves. Sending suicide bombers wouldnt work for the plan you were suggesting. As soon as you have a group, the chances are someone will chicken out and run to pc plod.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
But all the exceptional people they have seem comfy where they are.  It really amazes me they can't pull off much of anything here in the US

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
But all the exceptional people they have seem comfy where they are.  It really amazes me they can't pull off much of anything here in the US
Have you heard of something called Echelon, by any chance? That might help explain it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
Have you heard of something called Echelon, by any chance? That might help explain it.

They pulled off 911 without them hearing much.  Yes this makes it more difficult but almost six years without much of anything.  As you said it would only take one exceptional person getting into the country isn't much of a problem weapons are readily available explosives not that difficult. Like I said I feel it unlikely they would go through legal sources such as what they want to ban in the articles above.   

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »

They pulled off 911 without them hearing much.  Yes this makes it more difficult but almost six years without much of anything.  As you said it would only take one exceptional person getting into the country isn't much of a problem weapons are readily available explosives not that difficult. Like I said I feel it unlikely they would go through legal sources such as what they want to ban in the articles above.   
They knew about 9/11 before it happened. Bush had a CIA report on his desk sometime before it, from what I heard, he just chose not to act on it. What happened was the powers that be let the attacks happen, they could have easily stopped them before it happened. Normally 9/11 could not happen.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »

They knew about 9/11 before it happened. Bush had a CIA report on his desk sometime before it, from what I heard, he just chose not to act on it. What happened was the powers that be let the attacks happen, they could have easily stopped them before it happened. Normally 9/11 could not happen.

I don't buy into that one I think they just fucked it up.

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »

I think it went further than the US screwing up. Come on, how did a plane hit the pentagon, think about it. It supposedly has one of the best air defense systems in the world.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2007, 07:12:44 PM »
C'thulhu is NOT an air defense system.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »

I think it went further than the US screwing up. Come on, how did a plane hit the pentagon, think about it. It supposedly has one of the best air defense systems in the world.

If anybody has the balls to use it or even keep it turned on in peace time. 

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:45 PM »

If anybody has the balls to use it or even keep it turned on in peace time. 
I think they let it hit the pentagon, come on they knew the plane was coming FFS.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 07:30:25 PM »
to many quotes

Yes they knew there was a hijacked plane but they were unsure of the target.  Supposedly they had wanted to hit the White House but had a hard time locating it.  The Pentagon is easy to spot from the air "gee  look a big  building with five sides"

George Bernard Shaw