Educational

Author Topic: God, go on then, you may aswell ask.  (Read 36686 times)

peegai

Re: God, go on then, you may aswell ask.
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2006, 10:12:42 AM »
I don't know if you have dealt with any autistic breathren in real-life due to your psychology skills. But if you would -- or have -- how would you go about improving their lives (if they need it, that is)? Our problems (well, most of us anyways) is that we can be very naive and over-compliant, which would then make us easy targets in this harsh society of ours.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:09:52 PM by peegai »

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2006, 10:32:38 AM »
I do not know you well enough, that is one reason for lack of understading of alternate meaning of words.  I have a truama issue, with resentment and rejection, so that messes me up.  Its safer for me to assume the worst.

If you meant literally, which I knew you did not, a couple of points could be maid. Squirrels are no match for me. You would have to catch me first, and that would implie grabbing me. I would not just let you get me if I did not run either.  So either way you would have to make physical contact.  Want to?  I would not mind. You just meant you were annoyed for some reason, really annoyed.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Randy

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »
I suppose I owe you a  question.  What should go on a pizza according to you?

What is your favorite ice cream?
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2006, 11:32:09 AM »
do you realize that you and quirky carla can start your own support group?
Misunderstood.

Offline Randy

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
I would could help with the support group!!!!!

Spread your legs woman!

peegai

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2006, 12:12:56 PM »
I would could help with the support group!!!!!

Only because you wanna get into their panties. >_>

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2006, 12:18:09 PM »
Peegai, what form of autism are you referring to.
I think over all it would depend on the type, the person, their personality, their personal needs/views and their past experiences.
I think you need to take things on a case by case basis, as individuals have different needs, expectations, flaws, etc etc.
I dont think one person is ever truly the same as the next person even though they share a disability or a label.

Fluorescent...did you miss the part where it said you were tied to a tree?
Btw dont blame trauma, its a fucking cop out, ive had more traumas in my life than most people will ever have had, i dont mean tedious things either, and i never blame it on the way i am, or blame it for certain traits i have etc.
Only weak and pathetic people or those seeking attention or a cover-up for being a mess, do that in my opinion.

If im ever annoyed you will find out rather sharpish, so far i havent been annoyed by anything said etc.

What should go on a pizza? hmmm i dunno but cheese has to be on it, but no meat.

My favourite ice cream........Mint chocolate chip.

McJagger, no i didnt realise, besides in reality most support "groups" are over-rated, one to one sessions usually provide better results.
We would prob have a pretty interesting support forum tho if we started one lol

Fluorescent you have too many of your own issues to sort out first before you can help and support other people accurately.

Anyone here wanting to get into my panties, is an unrealistic fantasist. ;D

Next..........

Offline Randy

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »
First off that was not my only thought.  I like helping people, and my issues are under controll.  I am not a manipulator,  I actually try and deal with the truama instead of using it as an excuse.  I rethink everything and edit my posts.

Spread your legs woman!

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »
Liking helping people isnt enough, when it comes to counselling or support groups etc.
You come across as a bit unstable, and i honestly dont think anyone would want you giving advice or trying to help vulnerable kids or individuals to be quite frank with you, especially if they looked at your posts.
You are too erratic and easily agitated, easily confused etc, you dont always come across well.

But there are alot of people like that so its nothing to feel bad about, if your sorting yourself out etc, thats great.
Not everyones suitable for working as a counsellor etc anyways, which is why they do psychological evaluations, interviews to suss your emotions, personal values, flaws etc, background checks on you AND your family, and also police/criminal record checks.

You shouldnt need to rethink and edit your posts.
I also didnt say you were a manipulator, you get your wires crossed too often.
If i was saying you were a manipulator i would have said it upfront.

peegai

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2006, 12:47:15 PM »
Peegai, what form of autism are you referring to.
I think over all it would depend on the type, the person, their personality, their personal needs/views and their past experiences.
I think you need to take things on a case by case basis, as individuals have different needs, expectations, flaws, etc etc.
I dont think one person is ever truly the same as the next person even though they share a disability or a label.

Well, the spectrum has no relevence to what I am asking about. What I do want to know, however, is how you would go to helping an autistic person if he/she seeks your counsel. Now you said before that you would be blunt and never resort to the softly-softly approach with your clients, but afterwards you did say that it would depend on the basis of the individual themselves -- their habits, moods, etc -- and you would therefore resort to an alternate approach, right?

Yay for hypothesises.

McJagger, no i didnt realise, besides in reality most support "groups" are over-rated, one to one sessions usually provide better results.
We would prob have a pretty interesting support forum tho if we started one lol

Yeah, I think so too. I had a psychologist, and he helped me out immensely; he was genuinely pleased with the progress I was making -- with the new jobs and everything.

I think that it is also down to me believing in myself, and paying no heed to what other people say about you. I am gradually learning that if people say I have mentioned something stupid, they are not saying I'M stupid, but rather the thing that I have mentioned which was stupid. And I also think that in order to improve yourself greatly is to not compare yourself with others who have the same disability or whatever. That stupid notion of mine had me come tumbling down a few times. I don't need anybody to praise my progress, only me. If people try and put me down, I would tell anyone who say that to me to fuck right off -- I'm doing the best that I possibly can for myself.

What I hate about these support groups online is that you don't know the person upfront in order to help him -- it's a crap practice. Sometimes, I guess it works, but most of the time it makes the person feel even more shit -- because you don't know the person well enough to make such negative judgements.

NOTE TO SELF: I write too much. :p
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:30:49 PM by peegai »

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2006, 01:19:46 PM »
You want to know how i would come across, how upfront etc i would be with my opinions.

If i thought someone was vulnerable due to a specific reason i would try to put things more diplomatically, if they couldnt understand id try find a way to explain in a way that they could, or thru examples etc.

But that does not mean i would patronise them by lying to them, id simply just try to find a better way of explaining things, and afterwards making sure that they understand what i meant and that i wasnt being cruel or anything remotely like that, then go thru things with them again to make sure they understood, and discuss what they thought, their opinions etc.

People deserve the truth and for someone to be honest with them, not to patronise them or cover things up because they dont think they can handle things or they are too stupid to, weither they have a disability, emotional prob, otherwise, or not. If someone asks for help they already have an idea something is wrong, they deserve someone to give them answers and support.

Noone really knows how much an individual can handle, until you explain things to them. Ive always found people prefer the honest approach and for you to explain things properly, especially when theyve been soft-soaped for so long.

If someone doesnt want an honest opinion, or they actually want someone to lie to them, then they shouldnt bother seeking advice........because realistically they are not looking for real advice anyways if they just want to be lied to.

When i did counselling the fact i was so upfront etc is why i kept getting so many kids etc contacting me personally, they felt the honesty etc was a sign that they could trust me and count on me.
Which is nice but also very time demanding when youve got all these people seeking help and your opinions on things etc.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
Peegai, Its good that youve worked on things and made the realizations you have. I also agree with alot of what you said in the 2nd half of your post.
Ive never been much of a fan of online support groups either.
 8)

I also write too much in my posts. :P

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:27:02 PM by Hypnotica_Gaze »

Offline Randy

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2006, 01:27:15 PM »
 I need more time to sort things out, and when I am done sorting I might pursue psychology. I already have tried to help people with their problems, and I think I did a good job. My therapist says I am an expert on AS. ?I memorizes symptoms and my awarness is through the roof. You don;t know how upset I can get when something is happening to a friend. ?I can;t feal my emotions if I am too upset with my own problems. I do edit my posts and I think I do a great job, most of the time. ?I noticed your tact, and it was most appreciated.

As I said before, I owe you a question.

If you did not have a pet and had to have one, what would it be?

Spread your legs woman!

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »
I do have pets, my doggy Milojka, and 2 mouseys Loki and Smeagel.

If i didnt have them id prob want a reptile house full of iguanas, maybe some snakes and.........A CROCODILE. ;D

Offline Randy

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
When my brother  was living with me, we owned an iguana.

What is you favorite t.v show?

Spread your legs woman!