Author Topic: Amanda Baggs' video  (Read 9740 times)

The_P

Re: Amanda Baggs' video
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 04:39:30 AM »
"to relate", you jackass.

Not GA, but Hadron -- for he is the only douchebag around here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:54:15 AM by SomeRandomPoof »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2007, 04:42:34 AM »

Not GA, Hadron -- for he is the only douchebag around here.
No Relate is a councelling organistion in the UK (and Aussie i think as well). You just spoiled the joke though...

The_P

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2007, 04:49:57 AM »

No Relate is a councelling organistion in the UK (and Aussie i think as well). You just spoiled the joke though...

How the fuck am I supposed to know that when a) you didn't capitalise the noun, and b) you didn't give a brief description regarding Relate, a counselling organisation which is based in the UK, like I have done? Do I look like Mystic Meg to you?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2007, 04:51:41 AM »

How the fuck am I supposed to know that when a) you didn't capitalise the noun, and b) you didn't give a brief description regarding Relate, a counselling organisation which is based in the UK, like I have done? Do I look like Mystic Meg to you?
No you look like Dear Dreary...

GalileoAce

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 04:52:54 AM »
hehe

The_P

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2007, 06:29:21 AM »

No you look like Dear Dreary...

Insolent motherfucker.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »
er, thanks, GA.  for telling me how to do my job?

No worries :)  Glad I could help.
:laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2007, 04:37:39 PM »
Careful, you'll embarrass them both.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
what is your position in these matters, pyraxis?

or have i missed it?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »
I think that if Hadron is going to rail against negative representation of an "autistic brand", he would be better off to go after the mass of people who come off as whiners and fakers to NT's. I'm not saying they are whiners and fakers for asking for supports that NT's don't understand the need for. But if they could be taught better advocacy skills, their requests wouldn't be rejected so offhandedly.

Of course, if one is to invest energy in teaching better advocacy skills, there are better ways to do it than ranting about a woman who isn't even here to defend herself. Hadron would be more effective to approach Amanda Baggs in person and offer suggestions on how to improve her message. By simply saying she should shut up if she can't act more "normal", he's effectively taking on the position of the NT's he claims to be fighting.

One has only to read through a few pages of comments on Amanda Baggs' site to realize how many people her message is reaching, with some semblance of accuracy. While anyone in a media spotlight has both positive and negative effects, she has done more good than harm.

I think Lucifer is doing her usual routine of condescension and verbal maneouvering to cover her ass, being a sore loser even though it was just one point Hadron scored on her. Her criticism of Hadron is accurate. But "i don't reveal stuff about myself to people i don't know or trust" is immediately suspicious (not to mention a convenient "out" from the debate) and makes one wonder what she wants so badly to hide.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
thank you.

i didn't really have an opinion before.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2007, 06:34:35 PM »
 :laugh: That implies you've changed your mind.

What's your opinion?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »
:laugh: That implies you've changed your mind.

What's your opinion?
no i didn't have a mind to change.  i now have an opinion, yet one that i am not quite sold on yet.

i would answer in more detail, but  :popcorn:
Misunderstood.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »
I think that if Hadron is going to rail against negative representation of an "autistic brand", he would be better off to go after the mass of people who come off as whiners and fakers to NT's. I'm not saying they are whiners and fakers for asking for supports that NT's don't understand the need for. But if they could be taught better advocacy skills, their requests wouldn't be rejected so offhandedly.

Of course, if one is to invest energy in teaching better advocacy skills, there are better ways to do it than ranting about a woman who isn't even here to defend herself. Hadron would be more effective to approach Amanda Baggs in person and offer suggestions on how to improve her message. By simply saying she should shut up if she can't act more "normal", he's effectively taking on the position of the NT's he claims to be fighting.

One has only to read through a few pages of comments on Amanda Baggs' site to realize how many people her message is reaching, with some semblance of accuracy. While anyone in a media spotlight has both positive and negative effects, she has done more good than harm.

I think Lucifer is doing her usual routine of condescension and verbal maneouvering to cover her ass, being a sore loser even though it was just one point Hadron scored on her. Her criticism of Hadron is accurate. But "i don't reveal stuff about myself to people i don't know or trust" is immediately suspicious (not to mention a convenient "out" from the debate) and makes one wonder what she wants so badly to hide.
There are a glut of people who come off as whiners and fakers to NT's, but they dont often end up being aired on national television. If you want to invite Ms Baggs to come and debate with me here then I will happily oblige on this issue. Amanda may be reaching people in a positive light, but it is the ignorant masses that I am concerned about, after all they are the main problem, not the ones that can articulate a comment and write it on a website. The majority of NT's that see that video are going to come off with a very negative impression of us as a group of people, if you really want I can test and prove that with a little effort. I am sure Amanda has the best of intentions at heart, but that does not change the impression that average NT's are going to get off it.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2007, 06:45:05 PM »
Hadron: your ignorant masses don't often get aired on national television either. Who's to say their knee-jerk opinions are more dangerous to an "autistic cause" than the mistaken impression the masses of so-called whiners and fakers are giving?

If you want to debate Amanda Baggs, approach her yourself. You're the one who's concerned with her message, not me. My main concern here is sharpening my teeth in debate, in order to prepare for a completely urelated advocacy phone call I have to make tomorrow.