Author Topic: Amanda Baggs' video  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Amanda Baggs' video
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2007, 10:31:07 AM »
...etc...

I've split our conversation off here. See you there.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2007, 01:00:37 AM »
We could get back to the actual video, if anyone has any more points to add. Or if someone who knows the star of the show can invite her here.
Someone from here has made a comment on the youtube page. Have you made a comment there, hadron?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
We could get back to the actual video, if anyone has any more points to add. Or if someone who knows the star of the show can invite her here.
Someone from here has made a comment on the youtube page. Have you made a comment there, hadron?
Not yet, ill get round to it soon though.

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »
You gotta love ED and their "hilarious" website: http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Amanda_Baggs
Shall we edit the article and add to it?

What, exactly, are you going to add? Just so you know that I agree with A.B. What I don't like are people who are misinterpreting what her actual intentions are concerning those two video links I've recently posted here.

And why do people make these assumptions that she has inherited "one of the purest communications from God"? Religious fuckwits... She is not glorifying her real-life behaviour.
I dont give a rats arse what her intentions are, look at what she has done. Do you want every NT to think that we are bouncing idiots! I assume not. Why does she feel the need to make these idiotic videos that do nothing to further our cause, in fact they send it sky rocketing backwords.
As for editing the article, when i sober up i may have some fun with it, i should have some ideas by the morning...

you supercilious little cunt.  you have absolutely no idea about that woman's life - it's nothing to you but something to "have fun with".

no-one has to justify anything to you, and especially not when every time you open your pathetic mouth, all you can do is make yourself look more like what you are - someone who's been educated beyond their intelligence.

do youself a favour and fuck off until you've learned some basic manners, apart from anything else.

:minus:

edit: in fact, i'll go so far as to say, have a mirror, and may it all come back on you threefold.  you are disgusting.
I am disgusting am i Lucifer, takes one to know one...
I have an idea about her life, the fact is unless she wants to be in the next video of Autism Speaks, she should gain a knowledge of PR. As we happen to share the same brand, i think she needs to be wiser with it. Think how the NT's are going to look at it, for christs sake. She has just provided them with a perfect oppotunity. You do understand PR Lucifer, she has just totally humilated herself, and us! As for me being educated beyond my intelligence, prove it. Why are you getting so offended by me being rational Lucifer.

if it took her 25 yrs to learn to blow her nose... i think youre gonna have to wait for her video summing up the PR agenda

you are just proving her point on how people expect you to think like (and for) people as a group in whole... and when you dont... you get shat on be people like you

I am the Steppenwolf who never learned to dance.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2007, 04:38:31 AM »
You gotta love ED and their "hilarious" website: http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Amanda_Baggs
Shall we edit the article and add to it?

What, exactly, are you going to add? Just so you know that I agree with A.B. What I don't like are people who are misinterpreting what her actual intentions are concerning those two video links I've recently posted here.

And why do people make these assumptions that she has inherited "one of the purest communications from God"? Religious fuckwits... She is not glorifying her real-life behaviour.
I dont give a rats arse what her intentions are, look at what she has done. Do you want every NT to think that we are bouncing idiots! I assume not. Why does she feel the need to make these idiotic videos that do nothing to further our cause, in fact they send it sky rocketing backwords.
As for editing the article, when i sober up i may have some fun with it, i should have some ideas by the morning...

you supercilious little cunt.  you have absolutely no idea about that woman's life - it's nothing to you but something to "have fun with".

no-one has to justify anything to you, and especially not when every time you open your pathetic mouth, all you can do is make yourself look more like what you are - someone who's been educated beyond their intelligence.

do youself a favour and fuck off until you've learned some basic manners, apart from anything else.

:minus:

edit: in fact, i'll go so far as to say, have a mirror, and may it all come back on you threefold.  you are disgusting.
I am disgusting am i Lucifer, takes one to know one...
I have an idea about her life, the fact is unless she wants to be in the next video of Autism Speaks, she should gain a knowledge of PR. As we happen to share the same brand, i think she needs to be wiser with it. Think how the NT's are going to look at it, for christs sake. She has just provided them with a perfect oppotunity. You do understand PR Lucifer, she has just totally humilated herself, and us! As for me being educated beyond my intelligence, prove it. Why are you getting so offended by me being rational Lucifer.

if it took her 25 yrs to learn to blow her nose... i think youre gonna have to wait for her video summing up the PR agenda

you are just proving her point on how people expect you to think like (and for) people as a group in whole... and when you dont... you get shat on be people like you

Have you read the whole thread, before dragging up something from 20 pages ago?

The_P

« Reply #320 on: July 31, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
Why would she make a comment if she hasn't?

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2007, 04:33:12 PM »
This thread inspired me (if that’s the right word) to look at the video itself. Sadly, the excruciatingly slow, expensive  connection wasn’t up to loading more than a minute-or-so, but I did  read the comment, every one of them (995, last time I looked) and those comments convinced me that she’s actually done a brilliant PR job for autistics, whether or not she intended it as such.

Yeah, a handful of idiots made some really insulting comments, of course; and they received such thoughtful and patient answers that one of them did a U-turn., on the spot.. Here are some quotes:

MGthemes
OMG why don't you just talk.. You can talk, why are you superior to normal humans? You are normal, run a treadmill, get a life, and stop being retarded, i used to make fun of people like you at school.

silentmiaow:
You say, "i used to make fun of people like you at school."
Yeah, it shows. It's not something to be proud of. And being able to physically create words with my mouth is not the same as being able to make them mean what I want them to mean, or else, yes, I'd talk. And I'm not superior to anyone. Not that you actually care about my answer.

MGthemes:
Yea, i care about your replay, and i just dont understand hwo your so smart, and you cant talk. You can type, and comprehend normally, and you can humm meaningless stuff, and finger a stream of water, but you cant talk?

silentmiaow:
Intelligence and speech aren't particularly related, that's how. In fact, when I recently demonstrated for a researcher exactly which things I can and can't do in that regard, she actually knew the exact parts of my brain that must be working differently (apparently this pattern is a known thing).

MGthemes:
Sorry. I am starting to feel self concious about my actions. So theres never gunna be a way for you to talk? Except a voice machine?

silentmiaow:
I used to talk better than I do now, it's possible I might again, but I'm not really holding my breath (and given that I have a better means of communicating than even my best speech I don't really mind).

MGthemes:

Yea, you just gotta hang in there, and just think, at least your not retarded. You have the ability to think, and you are smarter than your average person

silentmiaow:
I don't really tend to hang around being grateful I'm not someone else, because it's kind of insulting to the someone else. You underestimate people with intellectual disabilities.

Sneech2:
"at least you're not retarded"? I think you missed the greater point of this video. The whole point is that all kinds of minds are legitimate, and all ways of thinking are legitimate. Yes, this includes "retarded" minds.

FYI, Hadron, a lot of the people who commented, came to YouTube, after seing a clip of the video on national TV, so I think that blows your theory, doesn’t it? The girl’s had a whole more coverage than you thought.

I don’t think it’s at all safe to assume that all those who lack the intelligence or what-have-you to frame a response to video will have a negative perception of it. If you can provide some convincing evidence of that, please provide it. But if you’re forced to back up your theory by retreating into the realms of the unknown, then guessing that those realms would yield contradictory results…well, heck, do you really expect us to take it seriously on that “evidence”? And, no, I really don’t believe that the option of the inarticulate counts for more than the opinion of the articulate, or else that’s millenia of political oratory wasted, isn’t it?

The fact is that articulate people have a whole lot more influence than inarticulate people (which is another thing that Amanda Baggs demonstrated with this video, btw). They might mis-use their influence, but they certainly have it. And yeah, some of the curebies might mis-use this video, if they’re desperate. But it’s not as of they’re short of ammunitio, is it? More significantly, it might actually  make some of those people think twice.

Btw, here’s another of my favourite parts:

“I hope you will be autistic some day , let's see if you think the same as you do now

You have to realise that the people with autism are the most genuine, sweetest and honest people on the planet, those are the real humans
The rest (like me and you) are just monsters who argue about everything, and how do you start a war ? yes it starts with argue”

silentmiaow:
I don't think we're all that idealized versions of people either, at least I wouldn't think so after hanging out around enough of us. ;-)

Yeah, she’s obviously been over here, huh?  :evillaugh:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
Walkie's here!

Hi Walkie! 

I did not read all the comments for this video, but I saw another video where Amanda talks about people in school physically jumping on her hard as she lay on the floor because they knew that she would not respond.  It made me wonder why the teachers would permit this to happen.  Maybe they thought her lack of communication meant that she didn't feel it?

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
Walkie's here!

Hi Walkie! 

I did not read all the comments for this video, but I saw another video where Amanda talks about people in school physically jumping on her hard as she lay on the floor because they knew that she would not respond.  It made me wonder why the teachers would permit this to happen.  Maybe they thought her lack of communication meant that she didn't feel it?

Hiya Callaway!

They probably did it when the teachers weren't looking. Interestingly, a group of girls at my school physically bullied me for the same reason- i was friustratingly unresponsive (actually, i was scared that i'd hurt people if i did respond, 'cause the things they were doing really made me see red. also ; also i was trying to figure out where they were coming from, 'cause they weren't your typical bullying types at all) When i finally let fly at them (a conscious decision) they were relieved to discover i was "human" after all, and they were nice to me ever after. Crazy fricking neurotypicals, huh? If i'd only known that they were after a response i'd have dug my nails into the ringleaders neck right away.

But this off-topic really isn't it?

Anyway, (to get even further off-topic.)Don't mention to the guys on Fractalus that you saw me here  , huh? I'm planning yet another grand return, as soon as I get a decent internet connection sorted (which should be any time now,though  i'm losing faith). Right now I'm just being self-indulgent, for a change (erm...irony). Can't afford to even look at Fractalus, in case it sucks me in.

*grin*

see ya soon,

Walkie

(Ooh my karma just went up! Thanks! Not that i care, of course. )

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:44:12 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
Don't worry, Walkie.  I won't say a word.  I'm just so excited to see you.  I hope you can get better internet service soon.

I was bullied in school when the teacher wasn't looking too.  I think that the bullies were looking for me to hit back too, because it got better after I did.

But Amanda's bullying was so much worse, I wonder how the teachers could not have noticed it.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
What I thought was run-of-the mill everyone-gets-bullied-like-this bullying was actually not, as I found out years later. So this is why I think more people get bullied like Amanda did but because their story is not told, no-one knows.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »

yeah

sorry... i didnt see how long it was when i started.... it was the "..." i didnt see

sorry lol

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2007, 02:13:23 AM »
Why would she make a comment if she hasn't?

i was just responding as i bagen to read through... but i hadnt realized just how long it was.... lol

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:03 AM »

yeah

sorry... i didnt see how long it was when i started.... it was the "..." i didnt see

sorry lol
Fair enough, i was just checking your were not trying to reignite the flame war...
Peegai, it was 20 pages, most people dont spend an hour reading before making a post. And I could tell from her comment that she hadnt.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:20 AM »

yeah

sorry lol
Fair enough, i was just checking your were not trying to reignite the flame war...
Peegai, it was 20 pages, most people dont spend an hour reading before making a post. And I could tell from her comment that she hadnt.
we don't have flame wars here.  only heated discussions.
Misunderstood.