Educational

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Introductions
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 02:30:35 AM »
Ug, too many people, cars, buildings and people for my liking.  But then, that describes pretty much all cities to me.  I'm one of those...extra sensitive people with an ASD.  Headphones and dark glasses can only go so far.  Nonetheless, I'm not missing anything at that place; apparently, everything can be fixed with CBT, and everything is due to some anxious thought that we can think ourselves out of.  They're good at diagnosing (they see a lot of people), but like everyone else, they're shooting over the mountain blindly as far as treatment is concerned for us adults (not that I'm convinced ASDs are something to be treated.  Work with, yeah; worked around to help fit in better if that's what you want, yeah.  But an actual cognitive change?  No).  Well, that's what I found.

I wouldn't comment myself on whether CBT fixes everything, and I highly doubt they advocate it as the ONLY solution because the severity of cases ranges. I do think avoiding medicating is a good thing if it's a workable solution though. Too many children have been medicated without being given time to explore whether they can in fact learn at least some coping skills.

However, I will say one thing. If you have a shitty attitude about CBT, then no, it won't even have a chance to work.

Offline goblin

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
CBT is for specific phobias and anxiety disorders, and for that, it works well (OCD here), but these things are based on an erroneous cognitive thought process, but unlike ASDs, which aren't based on specific thoughts, rather innate differences of the mind.  One individual there kept on assuring me that sensory problems were in fact anxiety related, and no matter how much I said that, 'hey, it's actually the overstimulation that's making me uncomfortable, which in turn creates the anxiety I feel,' "she" wouldn't listen.  Personally, I saw this as them just...firing over that mountain blindly, because they had nothing else.  Yeah, I see that now, often (medication); however, some children either have to stay at home or be medicated to attend ASD schools.  It's a rock and a hard place here with these children.

CBT works well for anxiety disorders, as I said.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:55 AM »
CBT is for specific phobias and anxiety disorders, and for that, it works well (OCD here), but these things are based on an erroneous cognitive thought process, but unlike ASDs, which aren't based on specific thoughts, rather innate differences of the mind.  One individual there kept on assuring me that sensory problems were in fact anxiety related, and no matter how much I said that, 'hey, it's actually the overstimulation that's making me uncomfortable, which in turn creates the anxiety I feel,' "she" wouldn't listen.  Personally, I saw this as them just...firing over that mountain blindly, because they had nothing else.  Yeah, I see that now, often (medication); however, some children either have to stay at home or be medicated to attend ASD schools.  It's a rock and a hard place here with these children.

CBT works well for anxiety disorders, as I said.

Taking cases where medication is genuinely required out of the equation....

You say overstimulation causes anxiety....but you also say CBT works well for anxiety. I do believe training your mind to ride through some of those feelings works. Sometimes if you let the wave take you over then you are fucked though.

My point is, I believe it does work in cases where you might believe it would not.

But I maybe making my point on deaf ears. You've already stated that you don't believe most people have any disorders. You've stated your opinion on Tony Attwood and the clinic but my opinion differs from yours and I have been to that clinic. But as you say, most people here don't have any disorders....well, not as bad as yours apparently.

The difference between WP and here is it's not a competition to have it the 'worst'....and most people try to get on with it, rather than focus on the negative. Sure, there are a few threads here where you can vent away and moan, but it's not everywhere.....so maybe that's why you question the authenticity of diagnosis of the members here (whether self or formally).

Offline goblin

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:53 AM »
Ah, but burning your hand causes anxiety.  Do you put your hand in the fire again because you're afraid of burning it?  That's the same thing with sensory overstimulation.

You can become numb to things, which exposure therapy is, but it can only go so far, and there's always a point where it can't be helped, especially physical problems.  It's no different to someone without a hand trying to pick something up.  However, they can get a prosthetic hand which will help, which is the same as the individual with visual processing problems who needs to wear tinted glasses to function better.

O, don't mind me and before, that was me being silly (I was parodying the whole, "you don't have this or that because I think this or that" that runs rampant online); I don't care at all whether anyone here has an ASD or not.  Except my statement about Attwood, I don't like him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:23:33 AM by goblin »

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 03:42:35 AM »
Ah, but burning your hand causes anxiety.  Do you put your hand in the fire again because you're afraid of burning it?  That's the same thing with sensory overstimulation.

Thank you for explaining sensory overstimulation. I think I'm pretty much across the topic.

My point rather was, although there are cases where CBT won't work, if you approach it with a negative attitude, it will NEVER work.

Offline goblin

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:04 AM »
I agree fully.

I'm a proponent of CBT, I always have been, as it's worked for me in many ways and made me function so much better (it got me out of the house post-breakdown after all).  I guess...I've really learnt to separate what I know can be helped by such and what I know can't, because I've tried it in the same way with the same expectations for some things (mostly ASD related), but with little result.  I think I also had a communication problem with the psychologist in question, and I didn't adequately get my point across; I am being fair on her, but I do recall her mentioning some things that were erroneously attributed to precursor anxiety compared to...situation anxiety (I think that's what Donna Williams calls it, and that's the term she uses to explain anxiety caused by sensitive senses, rather than a thought of...failure or contamination, for example), when I assured her otherwise.  But that's of no consequence, as I see someone else now who sees the ASD as something to be worked with if possible, or around if not.

To add,

All of my posts up until a certain point were satirical, but a person with an ASD posting humour on an ASD forum has...probably a high incidence of not working

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 04:43:44 AM »
Welcome to I2. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
I agree fully.

I'm a proponent of CBT, I always have been, as it's worked for me in many ways and made me function so much better (it got me out of the house post-breakdown after all).  I guess...I've really learnt to separate what I know can be helped by such and what I know can't, because I've tried it in the same way with the same expectations for some things (mostly ASD related), but with little result.  I think I also had a communication problem with the psychologist in question, and I didn't adequately get my point across; I am being fair on her, but I do recall her mentioning some things that were erroneously attributed to precursor anxiety compared to...situation anxiety (I think that's what Donna Williams calls it, and that's the term she uses to explain anxiety caused by sensitive senses, rather than a thought of...failure or contamination, for example), when I assured her otherwise.  But that's of no consequence, as I see someone else now who sees the ASD as something to be worked with if possible, or around if not.

To add,

All of my posts up until a certain point were satirical, but a person with an ASD posting humour on an ASD forum has...probably a high incidence of not working
you are a pretty good liar , also....I would go more for you being psychopath or at the very least an asshole

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
@Goblin - Hang on, you sound very much like Danielismyname? I'm I right?
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »
Hello goblin.

The only places I have been to in Queensland are Brisbane (for a day) and Toowoomba.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:25:17 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2010, 05:52:09 AM »
This better than the other or if you go the other way

[attachment deleted by admin]