Educational

Author Topic: World Council Discussion  (Read 6686 times)

Scrapheap

World Council Discussion
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
 I was going to post this in the World Council discussion, but I'd rather put it on a public board.

The post that MrMark made at WP really disturbed me and I'm wandering what we here at Intensity could do to prevent such a thing from happening here. Dunc and odeon have shown no inclination to run the site themselves and niether has Callaway. However, what if, a few years down the road, somebody like MrMark comes here with ambitions to take over the site in a 'de facto' sense?? MrMark was real smooth at first, simple acting like a clown to tray to gain support of both members and Alex. He succeded in doing this. For those who were watching though, his intentions were clear. He PM'ed me on several occasions BEFORE he was a mod (he was still a n00b even) trying to dictate to me what my behavior and words should be. I just ignored him, but in retrospect, I should've made his behavior public.

Anyways, here's MrMark's manifesto for anybody who didn't read it before.

Quote from: MrMark on WP
Hi Planeteers-

My user name is MrMark, but you can call me Mark. I would have just gone with Mark, but it was already taken. I’ve created this thread to give members an opportunity to get to know me better.

I’d like to share with you a little bit about my philosophy with respect to Wrong Planet and my role as Moderator. Please bear in mind that these opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owner or other moderators.

I drafted a mission statement for the moderators. “It is the mission WP mods to promote and maintain a peaceful and supportive environment, where members can help each other grow and change and learn skills that they will need to succeed in life.” I feel like this is consistent with the mission statement that appears on the home page. We are first and foremost a support site and information resource. We also perform the secondary function of providing for some of the social needs of some of the members, people who might otherwise have no social lives whatsoever.

As with any community, virtual or otherwise, there are mischievous elements. This necessitates some type of regulation. This is achieved by giving some members additional authority to censor posts and sanction members. Such authority is typically given to long-time members in good standing who have good communication skills and have demonstrated an ongoing interest in the mission of the site, the ability to consistently comply with the rules, the ability to set not just a good example but a better example, and a calm demeanor when dealing with conflict. I personally feel that policing the forums is only 5% of a mods job. The other 95% is setting a desired tone, keeping discussions interesting and on-topic by asking relevant and thought provoking questions, and helping to cultivate the leadership skills of less experienced mods.

In a perfect world, everybody would behave themselves and there would be no need for police. We do not live in a perfect world. Additionally, our membership is unique in that the vast majority of us have some type of developmental disability. Some are mild and some are severe. Most are in between. We have a number of members who are particularly vulnerable. Some are suicidal. We have other members who are bullies. Some of them are homicidal or may become so. What all of these people have in common is that they experienced some sort of trauma early in life, in addition to having a diagnosed or undiagnosed ASD. Some responded to that trauma by turning their anger inward and experienced depression and low self-esteem. Others turned their anger outward and became bullies themselves. I belong to the first group. As I matured, I learned to let go of my anger and develop a more positive self-image.

I am extremely hesitant to exercise my authority to ban other members. The owner has always demonstrated much less patience than I have in this regard. I find banning people to be most distasteful. I strongly prefer that members correct their own behavior. However, when that does not happen, I have an obligation to the owner and the membership to take appropriate action.

Speaking of the owner, I am aware of some uncomplimentary references. “The Emperor” and “His Highness” come to mind. Personally, I prefer “Captain” of this spaceship. It has been suggested that Alex is a rich kid here to make more money. I don’t know if he makes any money here or not, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it if he did. Capitalism and altruism are not mutually exclusive, and if he can generate $10,000 or $20,000 or $30,000 a year from operating this site, he would be free to focus more on activism. Alex is famous. He’s done TV appearances. He’s spoken with presidential candidates. It’s no wonder he doesn’t have time to answer all his mail.

I’m thinking about establishing a locked thread where I can report on a daily or weekly basis on my policing activities, number of warnings, number of bannings, that sort of thing. Alex, the other mods and I are still revisiting and reviewing the current rules. Until we arrive at a consensus to the contrary, I am not inclined to discuss any member or their activities in public. Recently, there has been a rash of allegations from all quarters, yet my mailbox remains virtually empty. I read and respond to all thoughtful, well-written complaints about the activities of others or myself. I also read complaints that are not so thoughtful or well written, at the very least. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any ideas, praises, comments, concerns or criticisms you may have.

-Thanks,
Mark

Notice hew he has appointed himself as first amoung equals?? (mods)

Wherever there's prey, there's predators, and the predators will always rise to the top of the food chain.

So how do we stop this from happening here??

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: World Council Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
Gee, WHAT do you think that my attempt to set
up rules was for? To better protect us.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Gee, WHAT do you think that my attempt to set
up rules was for? To better protect us.

But how do we protect ourselves from you?

Scrap, I don't know much of the conversation about Mr Mark...but I'm always suspicious of people who come in and know how "to run things better" and put a whole case forward for it.  I assume this person is Mrs Mark also?

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »
  I assume this person is Mrs Mark also?

Yep it sure is.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
  I assume this person is Mrs Mark also?

Yep it sure is.

Opportunist psycho.  The site would be so wonderful run by one like him.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:35:49 PM »
personally, i think that was well written.  it seems like he read several posts here and took outr advice for a support site, several times.

also, he kissed ass alot.

let me ask you a question scrap?

how could that possibly happen here?

i believe that as long as callaway is the chief administrator here then we will be fine.  she is really open minded about other people and she is an advocate for free speech. and she also acts as the site conscience.  she is perfect for us.

if she were to ever leave, for whatever reason, i think that PI could probably serve in that role, almost as well.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 07:52:06 PM »
personally, i think that was well written.  it seems like he read several posts here and took outr advice for a support site, several times.

i believe that as long as callaway is the chief administrator here then we will be fine.  she is really open minded about other people and she is an advocate for free speech. and she also acts as the site conscience.  she is perfect for us.

if she were to ever leave, for whatever reason, i think that PI could probably serve in that role, almost as well.

It may have been well written, but don't you think some of that person's comments betray the tone of his letter Scrap posted?  Hence why I said opportunist...

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »

I might not be able to think of a situation where it could happen, but that doesn't mean that couldn't happen.

I think by pointing out this example and asking ourselves "how can we prevent this from happening", that we've done 50% of what it takes to make sure it NEVER happens to us.

I think we just have to be vigilant against this kind of crap at all times.

That's why I posted a vote as soon as I saw ATOMICA vandalizing the free for all forum. If Dunc had simply IP banned him and deleted his posts, I think few people would've argued and it WAS the right thing to do. However, it's better that the WC voted on the issuse to delete his posts, and the IP ban was approved (in peoples posts) as well.

MY answer to the question of "how do we prevent this from happening here" is for the WC to be pro-active and stay on top of events so that a strong personality doesn't have the opportunity to exert any influence.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:54:17 PM »

It may have been well written, but don't you think some of that person's comments betray the tone of his letter Scrap posted?  Hence why I said opportunist...
sure.

if i thought that aspies were excellent communicators, then i would read into it more.  but i thought that the overall tone was a good one...FOR A SUPPORT SITE.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »
scrap, would you agree that callaway is perfect in her role as full time administrator?  perfect for us?

honestly, i can see how if eamonn, omega, or myself would have remained in control how then maybe some powertrip may have occured....in the future.
the three of us were oh so right for the beginning stages of this site.  but, i fear what would have become of the site if any one of us would have remained untouched.  callaway, as i see it, doesn't have the ego necessary to dictate how others should act....unlike mark.  (he said that i could call him that).
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »
I've been thinking about this and there
is NO set of rules which can protect us
from democracy. The only possible solution
is a junta of trusted people. McJ is suggesting
something close, with only one member. I would
suggest instead some 5 (or so) long term members
whom we could all agree to. If anything, the possible
choices seem too large for that.

But, keeping the amount small seems important for the
other issue - that they'd have to act with unanimous
consent, and only to protect us from democracy going
wild.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 09:04:37 PM »
scrap, would you agree that callaway is perfect in her role as full time administrator?  perfect for us?

She's elected. Hence, a surge in membership could
end up putting Mrs. Mark (or worse, me) into such
a position. Plus, people have melt downs. I wouldn't
want all of our eggs in one basket, no matter how
perfect a choice she seems.

richard

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »
its all fake. obviously, atleast i dont try to act like a goodie two shoes, go to another website under a fake screename and show what im really like.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »

She's elected. Hence, a surge in membership could
end up putting Mrs. Mark (or worse, me) into such
a position. Plus, people have melt downs. I wouldn't
want all of our eggs in one basket, no matter how
perfect a choice she seems.
but we also have two web monkeys, who each take regular backups of the site.  and both of them are pretty keen on the idea of personal freedoms as well.

also, haven't you considered what would happen to this site if those freedoms were taken away?
we would suck as much as WP currrently does.
Misunderstood.

richard

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »
i dont think that would ever happen, people here in my opinion arent power hungry so theres really no chance of someone turning out like mrmark,