Educational

Author Topic: What have you bought lately?  (Read 165868 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: What have you bought lately?
« Reply #8700 on: October 22, 2018, 01:28:54 AM »
Loads of stuff. You will see.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8701 on: October 22, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »
Cat litter for their shitter, cat food.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8702 on: October 22, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
Went to Lowe's to pick up some more fancy mulch. I use it when I plant as a composting agent. I also drop in some blood meal and bone meal under the plants, work it all in, then drop the plant.

SURPRISE!
Everything as far as live plants are all eighty percent off since they are clearing everything away for the winter. I see this every year, but I was always working and when I got there there was nothing worth buying left over.
Today, I was almost first! I bought forty, quart sized hostas for just over sixty bucks (summer price would be over three hundred bucks)! I also picked up two, five gallon crab apple trees (about six feet tall and four inches wide at the trunk, should take off well) for ten bucks each, VERY heavy.

So, more planting in my near future. I was actually "almost" wrapping it all up, over and done for the year. This is another week of work. I plan to get the trees in first. I have an area that is non-traveled near our windows that I have wanted to over plant with hostas as a ground cover for ages, but the expense put me off. NO more. It will be done.
Any that I do not get planted, I can simply mulch the pots over well and they will winter over just fine.

Great, lucky find!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8703 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
I once had the most wonderful free surprise with some garden mulch, as woodchips.

Worth a fuck of a lot more money if I had been able to find it in myself to sell any of them rather than simply feast and feed the family to the same standard of feasting I myself was enjoying immensely, rather than take any of the result to market.

But what THEY didn't know, was that the woodchips, were alder wood, and that they had been infected with the spores of a fungus, a rare fungus, Morchella elata, one of the black morels, and very, very expensive to buy just a few dried ones, because they are a highly prized, scarce and very delicious mushroom. The garden began to fruit like crazy, EVERYWHERE the Morchella-infected woodchips were put, morels burst forth in crop after crop after luxuriating, heavy as fuck crop. Even areas within the same estate began to fruit morels, that of course, I collected wherever I could get my hands  on them. Made morel gravy, morels fried in butter, grilled morels, roasted morels, morels with mozzarella cheese, morel soup, morels served with steak, morels in chili con carne, morels fried in butter served with roast morels, morels served with everything barring raw (they are poisonous if raw, they have to be cooked to be edible, but once this is done, they are a truly wonderful mushroom, one of my absolute favourite fungi ever to have tasted in my life, and at the time, I was just handed a winning mycophagist's lottery ticket, given a glut, in fact, several gluts, glut after glut after glut after glut, which naturally, prompted gluttonY, feasting on them, preserving some by drying, although these, all long since eaten now. It was literally like winning the lottery. Just a single palm-full of mushrooms would have paid for the mulch ten times over, and there I was, with a back garden COVERED in them. I even mulched the lawn to provide more space to grow more morels. It was just amazing.

Even saw them popping up outside wooden fences in the street, outside homes (if they were OUTside, fair game, first come, first served, first to recognize them for what they are is entitled to the benefits and to reap the harvest, if on public property land, no?), and round and about. It was a beautiful thing to behold, just so MANY black morels, Morchella elata, causing Lestat ElatED, one might say :autism:

Absolutely divine. Gorgeous to eat, meaty, gamey, rich and jampacked with flavour. I wish I had spores left to prepare cultures from. That was an amazing couple of months, where not a day went by without a harvest. A rare, precious, and utterly delicious myco-lottery win. I hit the fucking jackpot on a rollover draw and then some. It really was THAT good, and so were they. Perhaps, along with giant puffball and the parasol mushroom, if I had to pick just three wild mushrooms I've ever had, as my ABSOLUTE favourites, these three would take joint top place. Possibly even top place on their own, although that IS saying a lot, even for black morels, when the runners up are Macrolepiota procera and Langermannia gigantea, the parasol and the giant puffball respectively, those are real heavy-punching title defenders who wouldn't back down easily in a fight to the grim death for deliciousness. But still....WOW. Those were some great times. And while one isn't generally meant to gluttonously binge on any one kind of wild mushroom, to prevent untoward effects, in this case I really couldn't resist. There were just so MANY of them, and not paid for at a premium, for three or maybe four small specimens, dried and put in a plastic bag, but fresh, so fresh that literally no more than sixty seconds, sometimes elapsed between yanking a handful up from the garden, slicing the hollow fruitbodies in half to deslug them, and divest the honeycombed structure of the cap region of small insects, then beginning to cook them in multifarious ways, even stuffing them with various stuffings and having fried morels with stuffed things stuffed up them.

I just couldn't help but gorge. No untoward effects, just a feeling of immense delight at finding the entire local estate becoming infested with black morels, luckiest mulch ever! if I could reliably buy more like that, I'd pay a good price for it, and retain spores, keep cultures and cell lines on agar to repopulate again and again and again.

Wasn't just me, but my old man joined me in munching away, for there were too many of them even for me to eat. And he often does share in the wild mushroom gourmet surprises I bring home at times, and has grown to even recognize a fair number of species, what with having me for a teacher since I was just four years old, him thinking he was taking me out walking, whilst I was actually taking HIM in tow, to educate him in the lore of wild fungi and their hunting and eating, and more or less just using him for transport and to help carry more bags of mushrooms than a four year old child could carry alone.

My mom, while she was alive was very reluctant even to eat giant puffball, which CANNOT be misidentified, it just cannot be, it is too large, no other mushroom grows to such a size, and has a puffball shape. I think she might have even eaten some morels though.  Not sure but I think she gave in eventually (and to my credit I have NEVER poisoned either myself, or anybody else who assented to dine with me on my wild harvests, not once).

That was some doing though for HER to actually consent to taste so much as a single bite of a single species of a single wild mushroom fruitbody! it'd be like asking jimmy savile to shag somebody over 18 in terms of magnitude of action, coming from her. She always refused all my offerings, no matter how me and the old man were getting busy diving in headfirst to a pile of real delicacies. Why, I don't know, I had a 100% perfect track record of being poisoning free, and at that, of providing TASTY meals, bar perhaps one specific mushroom that actually was, although edible, vile, and one or two that were a bit bland. But that is the worst I have ever inflicted, with the unfortunate exception of trying stinkhorn egg-stages which did make me ill, but nobody else ate those, it was an experiment on my part. Definitely never put anyone in danger though, not even of a meal which wasn't enjoyable, never mind toxic! So why she always insisted on being so stubborn and fussily against my wild mushroom harvests, to a point she'd eat oyster fungi from shops, but if I brought back fresher, tastier wild Pleurotus ostreatus, she'd not eat of them.

Always did mean that me and my old man got a larger serving every time though, although of course, the lion's share and the first bite go to the finder who spots a species in the wild, identifies them correctly for what they are, then cooks them up into something delectable, only fair, is that not? and if she wouldn't eat, it means there were more for both me and my father to eat. And a bigger lion's share for the family mushroom forager-in-chief (there is, oddly, no history in the family, no tradition of expertise or picking wild mushrooms, I learned by teaching myself to read using a textbook on mycology and reading field guides, entirely self taught from age 4. I think it must just be one of those autistic-thingies, given mycology was always a speshul interest. Like with my chemistry and biotech, the interests were present as nascent spores just waiting for fertile circumstantial ground in which to take a hold and flourish. The moment the opportunity to begin putting the interests into practice, up sprang another hobby.

I think I was actually BORN both a mycologist, a chemist, biotechnology spazzgeek and botanist. It just took the potential for my physical circumstances to allow things like my building a lab, for the relevant interest to bear fruit. All as autie-things. A spazz-tech born and bred both.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8704 on: October 22, 2018, 06:09:46 PM »
Wow, Lestat.

I would have been buying mulch by the truckload.

I hunt them every spring, and I'm pretty lucky...but you work for those suckers :laugh:. The yellow, not so much, but they don't have that same taste.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8705 on: October 22, 2018, 07:25:47 PM »

These buggers pop up around my suburb sometimes. This is a small one, I've seen them easily as big as dinner plates.

Eating Australian native mushrooms is generally considered inadvisable. I remember picking field mushrooms when I was a kid and they were really good to eat, but I don't think they were native mushrooms.

I remember eating mushroom soup in Slovenia, made from multiple types of mushroom with different flavours and textures, and it was superb. They served it in a hollowed-out loaf of bread. I love mushrooms.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8706 on: October 22, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
Didn't get to go out with my BIL hunting this season, but he got quit a few of these this year.

Sheephead/Manitake/Hen of the woods...whatever you want to call them. They can get ridiculously huge when the conditions are rights. SO & I have taken turns hauling trash bags weighing 50-60 lbs full of them back to the truck some seasons.

Have no idea who this guy in the picture is...but we've seen that size or larger over the years.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8707 on: October 22, 2018, 08:29:43 PM »
:GA:
:gopher:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8708 on: October 22, 2018, 10:50:04 PM »
Can't find much that is edible in the forest around my house.

Apart from tasty koalas. Mmmmm, eucalyptus flavour.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8709 on: October 23, 2018, 05:39:55 AM »
Grifolia species, right? maitake? I've never seen Grifolia here, we have G.umbellata and G.frondosa, but they are very, very rare.

Hey, with your morel hunting, do you think we might perhaps, come to an arrangement where I might buy some spores off you? the morels grow here, they aren't plant pathogens, and there'd be no question of any laws broken. I'd very much like to, if you'd be willing to wipe down some sheets of tin foil with rubbing alcohol, let it evaporate (or a drop or two of vodka, anything to ensure it's sterile, and leave the mushrooms you are waiting to cook there, for whatever you'd not eat as soon as you got home, until some spores are shot out of those precious  little asci?

it wouldn't take long either, being ascomycetes, unlike most mushrooms we eat, which are basidiomycetes, which form spores in tubes, basidia, which drop them into the wind, ascomycetes actively FIRE spores out of asci, little tiny spore cannons. I've picked, although of course, not eaten, a relative of the false morels, black and white Helvella species, and if you lift one up to your ear, that is mature, and listen, you can actually HEAR it hissing and fizzing, quiet and subtle, but you can hear the spores being fired out in the hundreds of millions, and it'd by no means detract from your eating the fungi after. You'd just get to make some money on what otherwise would be waste, or at least more spores than you could possibly use alone for subculture.

Think you might do that for me IQ m'ilady? I'd pay, whatever we worked out as fair, you'd just lose a few pieces of kitchen foil, and gain some money in return (or other services if you'd prefer some lab work done for example) Next time you find any come the spring, be they white, yellow or black morels, I'll take any of them, plate the spores out on agar, homogenize the agar in a sterilized nutrient broth and then innoculate steam-sterilized woodchip bags until they are  all nice and infested, mix with a pile of sterilized woodchips etc. and start some outdoor cultures on big piles of woodchips.

I'd love to give it a try, growing my own morels. That would be simply divine. I love 'em, but I don't see them often at all, very uncommonly and it's been years since I've ever seen one. And with you going to hunt them every spring...that could give me the chance to get the biomaterial I'd need to start some agar plates.

That bolete...a bay bolete, Boletus badius, perhaps? I find that species locally, if it is B.badius. Does it blue rapidly when bruised? tend to grow under oak, beech and miscellaneous deciduous?

Apparently knowledge of edibility of native ozzy mushrooms is pretty poor all round.

BTW, I'd be willing to pay for Grifolia, spores, tissue cultures, cell lines, I could supply the plates, give you instructions on how to take the tissue cultures, and give them a try growing them, innoculating tree roots. The top one looks like Grifolia frondosa to me, am I right? we get them here, but I've never seen one other than in the textbooks, they are so vanishingly rare I'm not likely ever to find one.

Although I HAVE found extremely rare mushrooms before.

Reminds me, I've samples of edible puffball species dried for culture, in the lab, so we could even do a spore trade, if you'd like, IQ? Lycoperdon species, modest size, good edibility, I'd have to culture them and do a fresh ID to determine species, since I made a meal of the fresh ones I had when they were fresh and it was quite a few years back, but I saw the bag of dried, ripe spore-sacks I collected just the other day whilst looking for a teflon-coated magnetic stirbar as it happens.

But if you'd prefer monetary reward for morel spores, or lab work, then either are up for offer on my part in return for some. I've never got to try white or yellow morels, but I'd be just as pleased to try growing those, although I admit, I DO like the black ones, M.elata. So many things you can do with them, stuff 'em, roast 'em, stew 'em, make morel and steak chili con carne with chickpeas, dried, detoxified fly agaric (could trade you prepared fly agaric caps, if you'd like those for spores, too, I pick LOADS of fly agaric every year that I dry for the future year)

Still bioactive, but they have been cured to convert the ibotenic acid toxin to muscimol, the psychotropic. I like most of all to cook with them though rather than use them as an intoxicant. And to use them as a herbal medicine and winter tonic, when brewed into a honeyed tea, after the obligatory heat-cure to detoxify them (they are poisonous raw, although not fatally so, but they will make someone pretty sick. I have tubs full in the kitchen cupboard, just waiting for the next time I cook steaks)

It's great, all the guidebooks say 'poisonous', so nobody else ever seems to go picking what I have gotten used to thinking of as MY golf course full of MY fly agarics. I've staked a claim, so to speak. Those mushrooms are MINE on that golf course!!!!  I have several spots though to pick them (and they are ALL mine :autism:), so I'd have enough to trade. They make a wonderful kitchen spice/seasoning for red meat.   Quite unique, a sweet, honeyed flavour, and at the same time, VERY umami, absolutely dripping with umami-ness, and they drag it out of meat too, kicking and screaming if they have to :D

Can turn GOOD meat into WONDERFUL meat, and a nice pot of chili into something you might see people start fighting each other over the last bowl, bashing each other's heads  in with the nearest rolling pin or frying pan in a mad squabble to get to that last spoonful.

As for the detoxification procedure, it's already done, and  so you can have added  security if you were to accept some dried ones  in trade for morel spores, I have personally eaten of  the batch I have currently, a good many times, as well as made my winter tonic medicinal tea based on them. At no time have they sickened me, and nor will they sicken me either. Amanita muscaria IS a species you cannot consume RAW, but it is just one of  the fungi that you have to prepare specially, there are a few like that. Some you shouldn't do, regardless, like  Gyromitra (false morels, deadly poisonous raw, have killed even when cooked thoroughly after two parboils in two water changes. And sometimes with those, some diners will be  fine, some will end up in hospital or even dead. Hell sometimes the FUMES have killed the cook, so toxic are the false morels, the gyromitrin being a simple formylhydrazone of monomethylhydrazine, a highly poisonous, volatile compound more well known for blasting space craft into orbit, as a hypergolic rocket fuel when mixed with dinitrogen tetroxide or red fuming nitric acid for example.)

Notorious, for people trying to eat them, cooking carefully, like the japanese make sushi from poisonous fugu puffer-fish, but, the toxin levels in Gyromitra vary according not just to species, but to season, to where they grow, altitude they grow at, the weather patterns, the country, the strain of mushroom within a species, the individual consumer's susceptibility to trace levels of the hydrazone of MMH, but these, they truly are deadly poisonous, and have killed many people, there are only two instances of recorded deaths as a result of eating Amanita muscaria. And one of these, was not a poisoning, but a fatality among campers, who consumed them, and fell into a deep, deep sleep, as they will do if used recreationally, and it was winter. They died of hypothermia, just as they might have done had they drunk a fuckton of alcohol and passed out in the cold.

The other fatality, was an italian diplomat who ate a whole plateful of the mushrooms, without any attempt to detoxify them, thinking them to be Amanita caesarea, the Caesar's mushroom, which doesn't grow here, in the UK (sadly, because it is reputed to be very tasty), and he died as a result. Other than that, in the last century, thats the ONLY deaths I am aware of, and I do read a lot of mycotoxicology case reports of various kinds in scientific journals, of people. Not counting dogs who have eaten a lot of them raw, dogs are highly susceptible to actual poisoning by A.muscaria, and of course, they neither dry, nor boil nor do they cook in any other way, they just grub them up and eat them, which would sicken anyone (unless you happen to be a reindeer, who apparently love them so much, the Lapp people can call in their herds by simply scattering pieces of dried fly agaric over the snow and the reindeer will come running)

These, I can give a personal guarantee, have been prepared, are safe to use medicinally, recreationally, or in sub-bioactive doses as a delicious and unique kitchen seasoning. The Lestat Rett personal seal of approval, picked and prepared by mine own hand, and they've gone down my own throat, so you can be quite safe in knowledge that these have indeed, been collected and identified correctly, and prepared correctly. I needn't even say that I know my mushrooms well (I do, of course, but that's me. I'm as much a mushroom-forager as I am a chemist, in fact, I've been foraging longer than I ever even had a lab, from a far younger age than I had the means to start building my first lab beginnings)

And have been chowing down ever since on all manner of woodland and meadow-growing things fungal, deciduous woods, coniferous forests, open grassland, sheep pastures and grassy waxcap meadows all, old tree-trunks, you name it, I've probably foraged in it. 28 years  of experience (I'm 32 now) Actually I might be 33, I can never remember which. And only ever one bad reaction, and that from a mushroom correctly ID'ed, and listed as eaten by some in the guidebooks, but I just happen to be one who can't eat them, not that anyone with any sense WANTS to eat a stinkhorn egg more than once. Yuck. Yuck yuck and ten fucking fold YUCK!. Quite disgusting as well as making me spew my insides outside all night long out of both ends at once. Needless to say, I won't be eating those again any time soon :tard:

They can stay the fuck out of my cookpots. And for that matter out of my house, because they stink something truly foul, like rotting carrion mixed with shit, and they look as obscene as they smell, taste, and do to my insides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallaceae LOL!

Quite hilarious looking fungi. There's another kind, less common here, Mutinus caninus, that looks like a dog cock with a bright pink end when the surface layer of greenish 'shit' (the gleba, containing the spores and the foul smelling sulfur compounds) has been washed away or eaten by flies.

I once had a rather unfortunate, but hilarious accident involving stinkhorns. Phallus impudicus being the species.  Either me, or my old man must have tracked in some spores, or they must have been brought in by a passing fly, and deposited on the carpet behind the warm part of the compressor powering the fridge and freezer in the old house before we moved away, and there, they took root and managed to grow, somehow, from just the carpet. A big luxuriant clump of witch-eggs, sprouting obscene, lewd and scatologically phallic monstrosities, giving off a tirade of dimethyl sulfide, dimethyl disulfide, dimethyl trisulfide, the last of these, is sickeningly foul at just one part per TRILLION in air!, and we had a sodding big clump growing behind the fridge freezer compressor.

We called the gas repair guy round, thinking, due to the stench, that it was due to a release of the mercaptan compounds which are added to natural gas supplies to serve as a warning for the flammable but otherwise odorless natural gas, so people are aware if there is a leak. They smell even worse than the mercaptans do though, these alkyl sulfides, IMO. You can smell ONE stinkhorn fruitbody growing in the woods
from maybe a quarter to half a mile away if they are upwind of you, and know it's there long before you ever see it growing, smelling like rotting flesh and sewage. really strong, sickening stench they give off.

So, the gas  man, he probed and he examined, and found he could detect no gas leak anywhere in the house. Never looking, fortunately, behind the fridge freezer, as it didn't of course HAVE a gas  supply, if he had, he'd probably have shit his britches to look at the things. All sprawled out luxuriating on the carpet, the heat of the compressor pump helping volatilize even more of the filthy stench of eau-de-corpse covered-in-its-own-bum-offal and floating in a shallow pool of stagnant water, or worse than water. Absolutely STANK, especially a huge clump of the fungi, growing inside a house, when even one mushroom is enough to stink up a good size area of forest. Looked like a pile of pallid, white mold-encrusted scrotumless bollocks, each one burst in a glob of pus-like gelatinous slimy ooze with a shit-covered cock poking up out of each ruptured bollock. Each with it's own 'head' on the top, covered in it's own greenish-olivescent food poisoning diarrhea on a white, spongy curved schlong.

I can't imagine what the look on his face would have been if he'd ever seen those horrors sprouting out of the carpet. The smell was bad enough, he looked pretty green around the gills put it that way. Although I'd love to have caught him on a video recording to see his reaction preserved for eternity. That'd be youtube material for sure :autism:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8710 on: October 23, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Two bottles of Coke, two birthday cards (one for my friend and one for her dad), strawberry lip balm, sunscreen, a Zing! voucher for my friend and a new notebook for me to make proofreading notes in.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:46:53 PM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8711 on: October 24, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »
Bought a Stockholm bus access card, as I'll be here every now and then.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8712 on: October 26, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »
Bought new glasses frames. They're a snug fit compared to the ones I have now, which have always been too big.

I'll take a photo once I get the prescription lenses and Irlen tint.
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8713 on: October 27, 2018, 12:14:35 AM »
Bought a family variety box at Maccas.

My son has lost interest in food lately, it was the only way I could get him to eat any substantial amount of food.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8714 on: October 28, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
Bought a lawnmower, with rechargeable battery.

It's long overdue. When we moved into our house 5 years ago we bought an electric mower for A$99.

That was just supposed to be for a few months but we kind of got used to dragging the cord around.

I finally said "enough is enough". We have a lot of grass. I bought basically the same mower with a battery, A$249. Larger and sturdier rechargeable mowers cost around $800.