Educational

Author Topic: Jedi in da house  (Read 815 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Jedi in da house
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
i don't know any stamitz.  telemann is gorgeous, and mozart is unspeakable.  etudes are always jolly, i think, although some for the piano are fiendish.

you're right about viola players - there's definitely more career oprions, mainly cos there are so few good ones around.  i started to learn it, to play with the london schools symphony orchestra (,illions of years ago), but i was put off by the pervy teacher, and so didn't get very far with it.  you'd probably be able to sight read viola parts more easily - they tend to get bunged the notes left over when everyone else has got one, like singing contralto in a choir.  ::)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »
Welcome Janicka. 
Is violin your main passion, the one you make your career from?

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 03:08:33 PM »
I did learn to read the alto clef (obviously).  Once I got used to it, sight reading most of the parts was quite easy.  Really it was a matter of keeping one eye on the conductor and the other eye on the desk, since the parts demanded precision and not much else.

Sorry about the teacher.  I did have one excellent teacher, who switched back and forth between the violin and viola with no effort.  I loved her.  Then I had one year of college with this teacher that was a complete hack.  I hated his guts, and ended up dropping out of school because of him.  After that, I had another teacher that I was extremely fond of - a violist - (and the first teacher was very happy that I found another teacher that I liked).  But I ended up quitting with him for a number of reasons - the short version of the story is that I was getting evicted because of a personality conflict with the landlord (I did get to stay, but moved out eventually because she was cunt) and then the 9/11 attacks took place and I got really depressed.  

Anyway, it's been some time since that happenend now.  Even though I already got a university degree, I've been thinking that I'd like to go and study music education (you know, to teach in the schools).  Although I'd really like a job playing with an orchestra, the teaching would be a fallback position.  And it would be a very good fallback position, since there is a teacher shortage where I live.  

Frankly, both would be superior options to my fucking fluorescent-lit cubicle hell   :wanker:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 03:09:47 PM »
Welcome Janicka. 
Is violin your main passion, the one you make your career from?

1) Yes 
2) No, but I would like to.  My current carreer involves a cubicle  :(
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein