Educational

Author Topic: Jedi in da house  (Read 814 times)

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
Jedi in da house
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:02:19 PM »
Hiya.  I heard about Intensity on WP.  Thought I'd check it out. 
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Jedi in da house
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
well, is it horrible?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »

OK.  Cool.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:19:34 PM »
Good to see ya.

richard

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »
hello and welcome!

Scrapheap

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:21 PM »

Did you see it in George_Orwell's signature??

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:37:08 AM »
Greetings n00b  >:D

Evil enough for you?  :eyebrows:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:13:08 AM »
Do you have any fetish we can ridicule, n00b? :eyebrows:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »

No.  Current obsession is  :violin:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

Did you see it in George_Orwell's signature??

Not just that.  All the older people (meaning not kids, chronologically) talk about intensity here and there. 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
Intensity gets to you. You have been warned. :evillaugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »

No.  Current obsession is  :violin:

do you mean feeling sorry for yourself, or playing the violin?  if it's the latter, do you ever play vaughan williams' "the lark ascending"?

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 02:24:41 PM »
The latter.  And I've not played that one..  I don't really care for many British composers *ducks and prepares to be flamed*.  Though, I am sure that there are a few good things out there that would change my mind.  I just haven't gone looking for them. 

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »
The latter.  And I've not played that one..  I don't really care for many British composers *ducks and prepares to be flamed*.  Though, I am sure that there are a few good things out there that would change my mind.  I just haven't gone looking for them. 

well worth it, i'd say - VW is one of my favourites.  so, what do you play, then?

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »

well worth it, i'd say - VW is one of my favourites.  so, what do you play, then?

Well, at the moment I practice etudes.  Lots and lots of etudes every day (Sevcik, Wolfahrt, Dont, Mazas, Kreutzer).  Those are pretty elementary, but it seems like each time I go back and play them, I get something different out of them that helps my technique (since the notes aren't that hard to figure out anymore).  Then I basically play the standard audition repertoirs - I'm trying to get the Mozart G Major concerto and Mendelsohn to sound halfway decent.  Also, I play the Bach unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas and the Paganini Caprices.

At the moment, I also play with a community orchestra and a string quartet with a few of my friends.  So I also have my hands full with that.  A lot of times, I end up blowing off the orchestra music.  I can't really afford to do that with this upcoming concert since all of the music is really quite difficult.  It pisses me off, because the last concert we had, the music was easy enough to sight read.  It would be nice if maybe the level of difficulty could be spread around so that there was maybe one or two difficult pieces in the concert and I could sightread the rest.  Apparently, that makes too much sense to some people  ::)

I also play the viola, but I haven't been practicing that lately.  I've actually heard that the job outlook is better there, but I don't know how true that is.  In any event, I'd like to play the Stamitz D Major concerto - supposedly it's pretty difficult, but from looking at the music it doesn't seem that much worse than Mozart G Major conerto for violin.  Also, I think that the Telemann unaccompanied Fantasias are much more beautiful than the Bach unaccompanied sonatas and partitas for the violin, and probably comperable in their technical demands. 

Now, my biggest problem with the violin is that you need to be somewhat disinhibited yet highly technical to pull off some of the pyrotechnics.  I've not bee able to figure out how to do that.  This is why the viola is somewhat more appealing to me.  I was actually the principal violist with the university's orchestra when I was going there.  I've also played in a string quartet before.  The parts were easy enough, but had to be played very precisely.  In some regards it was easier, but in other ways it was like performing surgery - it required lots of precision, which worked well with the fact that my playing is very inhibited.