Educational

Author Topic: The Politics of Oil  (Read 2084 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: The Politics of Oil
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
You not going to post an introduction Oil Investor?
Will he cope with an Ask Away thread?

:laugh:  You never know.
Some good names for it come to mind!

You should start one for him then-  although perhaps we should wait a few days in case we scare him off.  :laugh:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
perhaps we should wait a few days in case we scare him off.  :laugh:

which would be a crying shame, obviously.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
you know, PI, i was just thinking...

WE know what to do with socks, don't we?  (after we've knitted them, i mean).  ;)  sounds about right for this waste of oxygen.

Wear them?? Or send them away to another country like I do (might be the better choice). :laugh:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »
er,no - i was thinking more along the lines of wanking into them.  not me, personally, you understand, but i'm nostalgic for those days on WP in the chatroom, remember?   :laugh:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 03:19:51 PM »
er,no - i was thinking more along the lines of wanking into them.  not me, personally, you understand, but i'm nostalgic for those days on WP in the chatroom, remember?   :laugh:

I wouldn't waste hand knitted socks by allowing someone to crust them up like that.   They can make do with ones from poundland.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »
depends what you knit them out of - i've heard of stuff made from barbed wire before now...  ;)

(i think).

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
Where are your manners, people?

Welcome to Intensity, Oil Investor. I feel it's only fair to warn you--quite a few of us worry about this global warming thing, so if you feel the need to post further on how you plan to gain from other people's misfortunes, you'll most likely find yourself flamed to the Kuiper belt and back using alternative, non-hazardous, 100% environment-friendly energy sources.

And I mean this in the nicest possible way.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
i for one, like this poster.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »
Investors are in it to win it. Speculators are hare-brained Johnny-come-latelies, who'll jump ship as soon as shares dip or who "Sell, sell, sell!" after the first few rises. But I know - based on my astute cerebral machinations - that oil is here to stay and that, therefore, investing in it is absolutely a one stop road to profit. Why would I tell you? I mean, I'd want all the profit for myself, right? Wrong. See, I believe in oil. I don't just know I'll make money out of it, I like it! 'Cause I know it's the best thing God put on this planet!

How do you figure that "oil is here to stay and that, therefore, investing in it is absolutely a one stop road to profit," Oil Investor?

Isn't there just a finite amount of oil and isn't there a huge demand for it?  What happens to your investment when the oil supplies that are relatively inexpensive to recover run out?

Welcome to Intensity.  I think it is good to see another point of view represented here.

Teejay

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »
Investors are in it to win it. Speculators are hare-brained Johnny-come-latelies, who'll jump ship as soon as shares dip or who "Sell, sell, sell!" after the first few rises. But I know - based on my astute cerebral machinations - that oil is here to stay and that, therefore, investing in it is absolutely a one stop road to profit. Why would I tell you? I mean, I'd want all the profit for myself, right? Wrong. See, I believe in oil. I don't just know I'll make money out of it, I like it! 'Cause I know it's the best thing God put on this planet!

Global warming excites me -- it creates so many economic opportunities. Larger crop yields in previously poor-performing Northern European agricultural sectors, etc. Revival of British tourist industry. Job creation through opportunites of the cleaning up of climate disasters. Eradication of poverty is what drives my love affair with petroleum. Tackling climate change does and will harm the world's poorest who depend on deforestation and farming with chemicals in order to make money through selling land and through higher crop yields. So if you're wise you'll do the same as me and invest in oil. Get in there quick 'cause soon Iraq's parliament will have passed legislation to enable private companies to start digging in what might be the world's more fruitful oil reserves and oh yeah, you betcha, I got plenty of shares in ExxonMobil. Always back a winner.

Don't you realize a rise in global temperatures is going to decrease drastically Australian (which is a major wheat exporter), Western North American and Southern European agricultural productivity, because they will get drier. Which will cancel out rises in agricultural productivity in Northern Europe, Russia and Canada. Plus a lot of low lying places (anywhere below say few meters above sea level will be flooded in the following centuries as West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets melt).

That is with a temperature increase of 2C, which would put the earth's temperature at warmest level in 2 million years. Which is at the lowest projections for the Earth's temperature.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:54:29 PM by Gamma Male »

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

in the box marked "reserved for those who deserve them," right at this present moment.  :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »

in the box marked "reserved for those who deserve them," right at this present moment.  :P

So if we are to welcome this guy, we need to think outside the box? :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 01:07:27 AM »
oh, very droll.  no, cos this particular box is only for manners - i thought that was reasonably explicit, oh dull one.  :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:20 AM »
oh, very droll.  no, cos this particular box is only for manners - i thought that was reasonably explicit, oh dull one.  :P

What? A fellow can't do bad puns now? ;D ;)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:59 AM »
no, cos bad puns are so terribly unattractive.