Author Topic: Writing a letter to my MP  (Read 1613 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Writing a letter to my MP
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »
One problem with campaigning for something like Peter is that the government gets a lot of money from tobacco and alcohol sales,  so making them illegal isn't something they're ever likely to want to do.

You have managed to take me by surprise with your views on this though Peter, with you recent posts about legal drugs I never would have thought you'd want to extend the nanny state culture further.  Whilst I might not agree with your views on this I'm still going to give you a karma point for surprising me like that.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »
One problem with campaigning for something like Peter is that the government gets a lot of money from tobacco and alcohol sales,  so making them illegal isn't something they're ever likely to want to do.

You have managed to take me by surprise with your views on this though Peter, with you recent posts about legal drugs I never would have thought you'd want to extend the nanny state culture further.  Whilst I might not agree with your views on this I'm still going to give you a karma point for surprising me like that.

The letter isn't what it might seem; it's just my way of making a comment on the inconsistencies of current drug legislation in a way that would make it past the concious censorship of someone engaged in the 'drug war', and someone to whom voicing support for my actual position would be political suicide.  I'm not really in favour of banning tobacco and alcohol, but I'm happy to use them as a comparison to far less harmful but highly illegal substances to further my real agenda.  If they really did make tobacco a class A substance though, I'm sure it would raise hell and spark some serious debate on drug policy, and to that end, I'd be happy to see it banned.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »
And who said aspies weren't sneaky  :laugh:

I like the idea- but I think the government is unlikely to ever consider doing so seriously- they'd lose out on too much money- so unfortunately its unlikely to spark the debate you would like. No harm in trying though.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 08:12:23 AM »
In some ways, it's a shame the Scottish Christian Party didn't get elected, since I could have had no end of fun with them by posing as an extreme-o-fundie and making them look completely rediculous.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Litigious

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 08:16:24 AM »
I've written letters to among others the former Swedish Attorney General and "between the lines" told him that I think Sweden is a great joke and that he's an idiot. I don't think he got the point, though.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »
The way I see it, drugs legislation is like a ratchet; it's easy to make things illegal, but extremely difficult to downgrade or legalise something that's been made illegal, and thus the only way to have things legalised en masse is to push the ratchet to the point where it's no longer a marginalised minority that's suffering, but a significant portion of society, and thus to provoke a large public backlash against the system of prohibition, and to push it as far and as quickly as possible to maximise the shock value, since people adapt to gradual increments of prohibition.

Litigious

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 08:21:45 AM »
That goes for all legislation. Guns were restricted very easily but will never or very unlikely be less restricted, not to mention totally free again. Same goes for drugs.

Litigious

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 08:23:22 AM »
The masses are slow and stupid and will only react really powerfully when shocked into doing so 100% correct.  :agreed: :plus:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »
Some info on him.

Jim Murphy is the Labour MP for the East Renfrewshire (previously Eastwood) constituency, just outside Glasgow in Scotland. Murphy was a former president of the National Union of Students.[1] He holds the possibly unique distinction of having been condemned by a House of Commons Early Day Motion for "intolerant and dictatorial behaviour" shortly before being elected to the Commons [2].

Whilst NUS President, Murphy managed to completely reverse his position on higher education funding within two years [3]. In early 2006 Murphy helped pilot the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill through Parliament, a Bill which critics claim will seriously weaken Parliamentary democracy.[4][5] One report states that, "According to Oliver Heald, when asked why the Bill did not contain the orginal recommendations concerning business regulation, Murphy replied 'We have wider ambitions than that'." [6]

Yet by 1996, less than two years later and with a Blair victory looking inevitable within months, Murphy was playing a key role in securing the union's support for a graduate tax to fund higher education. According to Shiraz Rustom, at that time the student governor of Queen Mary Westfield College, Murphy suspended Clive Lewis, the convenor of the Black Students Campaign and NUS vice president, for having spoken in favour of free education.[19] The suspension prompted eight Labour MPs, including Tony Benn, Alice Mahon and Dennis Skinner, to sign a Commons Early Day Motion condemning the "intolerant and dictatorial behaviour of the President of the NUS." [20]

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
I think it's a terrific letter, Peter.  :plus:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »
I like your letter, Peter.  It reminds me of "A Modest Proposal."

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »
There is one misspelled word:

principle avoidable cause of premature deaths in the UK

should be spelled:

principal avoidable cause of premature deaths in the UK

http://www.answers.com/topic/principal

USAGE NOTE   Principal and principle are often confused but have no meanings in common. Principle is only a noun and usually refers to a rule or standard. Principal is both a noun and an adjective. As a noun, it has specialized meanings in law and finance, but in general usage it refers to a person who holds a high position or plays an important role: a meeting among all the principals in the transaction. As an adjective it has the sense of “chief” or “leading”: The coach's principal concern is the quarterback's health.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 03:49:27 AM »
I like your letter, Peter.  It reminds me of "A Modest Proposal."

You just gave me an idea.  I've stuck it in the subject line:

26th May, 2007

Dear Mr Murphy

A modest proposal...

I laud the recent ban on smoking in enclosed public places, but I feel it doesn't go nearly far enough.  Tobacco, which contains the potent and highly addictive narcotic nicotine, is the leading cause of death among all intoxicating substances and the principal avoidable cause of premature deaths in the UK, killing 106,000 people every year in the UK according to the UK Department of Health [1].  Judging by the standards applied to other intoxicating substances, many of which it is a grave offence to possess, produce or sell, yet which cause far fewer deaths, I can see no logical reason why tobacco should not be legislated as a class A drug.  For comparison, MDMA, a class A drug, causes 30 deaths each year, out of an estimated 500,000 regular users in the UK [2], about two thirds of which occur when MDMA is used in conjunction with other drugs [2], and cannabis, a class C drug, has not yet been shown to have a casual link to increased mortality in users.

I also propose that cannabis should be reinstated as a class B drug, since it serves as a gateway to tobacco use, as tobacco is often mixed with cannabis to improve it's combustion properties when smoked.  I urge you to work to increase public awareness of this danger inherent to cannabis use, since there are many reports of individuals becoming nicotine addicts after starting out on cannabis.

As for alcohol, I find it baffling that it's still being sold across the country when it's been well established that alcohol is a leading cause of violent crime, with the perpetrator being reported by the victim to have been under the influence of alcohol in 40% of all violent incidents [3], and there were 8,386 alcohol-related deaths in 2005 [4].  Aside from the slow degradation and eventual failure of the liver which is an established outcome of long-term alcoholism, alcohol also has the frightening ability to kill with just one drink, as the first drink lowers the inhibitions and self-control of the alcohol user, thus leading to the consumption of additional drinks and eventual death through accident or acute poisoning, or even the death of an innocent bystander through alcohol-induced aggression.  Indeed, several times when travelling through Glasgow on the bus at night, as the clubs have been emptying, I've witnessed intoxicated alcohol-users head-butt the window of the bus I was riding in, and I've witnessed several fights among alcohol users, one of which resulted in one individual being taken away in an ambulance.  With alcohol, there's no such thing as a safe dose, and I would like to see life sentences given to dealers who supply this menace to otherwise law-abiding citizens.

Hopefully you'll be able to draw attention to these two glaring oversights in the current drugs legislation, and protect the public from the evidently great dangers of alcohol and tobacco.  I'd go as far as saying that these two substances should be the top priority in anti-narcotics efforts, given the enormous death toll and cost to society that result from them.

Your sincerely,
Peter MacKenzie

[1] UK Department of Health, http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthandsocialcaretopics/Tobacco/index.htm
[2] National Institute for Medical Research; Drugs and addiction, ecstasy and cannabis, http://www.nimr.mrc.ac.uk/MillHillEssays/2002/drugs.htm
[3] British Criminal Survey, http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/rdsolr3503.pdf
[4] Office of National Statistics http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 03:49:39 AM »
There is one misspelled word:

principle avoidable cause of premature deaths in the UK

should be spelled:

principal avoidable cause of premature deaths in the UK

http://www.answers.com/topic/principal

USAGE NOTE   Principal and principle are often confused but have no meanings in common. Principle is only a noun and usually refers to a rule or standard. Principal is both a noun and an adjective. As a noun, it has specialized meanings in law and finance, but in general usage it refers to a person who holds a high position or plays an important role: a meeting among all the principals in the transaction. As an adjective it has the sense of “chief” or “leading”: The coach's principal concern is the quarterback's health.

Fixed.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 04:00:10 AM »
I wouldn't use the "modest proposal" line.
It's overused. Plus, as your proposal is not
total satire, it is mistaken to do so.