Educational

Author Topic: Religious Fundies Strike Again.  (Read 698 times)

Scrapheap

Religious Fundies Strike Again.
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:28:58 AM »
  Now, they've blocked a vaccine that prevents cervical cancer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18769275/

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Religious Fundies Strike Again.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
medicine and religion have been at odds since the downfall of the all powerful medicine man.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
I actually agree with the religious fanatics that parents should decide when their daughters should get the Gardasil vaccination. 

How much do they actually know about the long-term effects of Gardasil?  I think lobbyists for Merck were heavily involved in the Governor of Texas' executive order mandating the vaccine for girls entering middle school, and it was overturned by the Texas legislature.  A competing pharaceutical company is also developing a vaccine against HPV, Cervarix, which is currently in clinical trials. Once it is on the market, this should drive the cost down from the high cost of $360 that Merck, which currently holds a monopoly with Gardasil, charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccine

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
I actually agree with the religious fanatics that parents should decide when their daughters should get the Gardasil vaccination. 

How much do they actually know about the long-term effects of Gardasil?  I think lobbyists for Merck were heavily involved in the Governor of Texas' executive order mandating the vaccine for girls entering middle school, and it was overturned by the Texas legislature.  A competing pharaceutical company is also developing a vaccine against HPV, Cervarix, which is currently in clinical trials. Once it is on the market, this should drive the cost down from the high cost of $360 that Merck, which currently holds a monopoly with Gardasil, charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccine

I agree that parents should have a choice if there's concerns about the safety of the drug, but the reasons they gave were nothing but Victorian pseudo-morality. They thought that getting the vaccine would turn their daughters into whores. HELLO!!! what if their daughter gets raped by an infected man?? Is their make-believe god going to cure their daughters somehow?? I wouldn't hold my breath!!!  :grrr:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
I agree that parents should have a choice if there's concerns about the safety of the drug, but the reasons they gave were nothing but Victorian pseudo-morality. They thought that getting the vaccine would turn their daughters into whores. HELLO!!! what if their daughter gets raped by an infected man?? Is their make-believe god going to cure their daughters somehow?? I wouldn't hold my breath!!!  :grrr:

You're talking about comparing the corruption of their immortal soul,
as compared to some minor suffering in this transitory state? The choice
seems clear to me.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »

seems clear to me.

I'm in favour of killing all babies at birth, to ensure they remain sinless and are guaranteed a place in heaven.  Preferably it should be done by slow roasting over a charcoal pit while chained to an iron cross, just to make sure that no demons have infested them and to purify them of any corruption from their mother's sinful vagina.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »

seems clear to me.

I'm in favour of killing all babies at birth, to ensure they remain sinless and are guaranteed a place in heaven.  Preferably it should be done by slow roasting over a charcoal pit while chained to an iron cross, just to make sure that no demons have infested them and to purify them of any corruption from their mother's sinful vagina.
i know that you have been experimenting with meds lately.

that last bunch.....not the right mix.
Misunderstood.

Offline paradox

• Constant Poster
  • babbling randomly in a reality near you
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 03:20:34 PM »

seems clear to me.

Or perhaps just the right amount of meds, the world really does need to be cleansed, and human race would be good place to start.
I have never understood why it should be necessity to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it should be necessity to prove it at all - Avon

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »

seems clear to me.

What's a few hours of suffering when compared to eternal bliss in heaven?  Being roasted over a pit is nothing compared to what they'd endure for eternity in the fiery bowels of hell if they were allowed to stray from the path of righteousness.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »
well i cannot argue with logic.

but you are the one who is arguing this point and you do not believe in heaven nor hell.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »

seems clear to me.

What's a few hours of suffering when compared to eternal bliss in heaven?  Being roasted over a pit is nothing compared to what they'd endure for eternity in the fiery bowels of hell if they were allowed to stray from the path of righteousness.

This is the true meaning of selflessness. Killing the unborn to save their
souls, at the cost of your own.  :clap:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
 :laugh: Agreed.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.