Author Topic: Ask Eclair anything.  (Read 65788 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Ask Eclair anything.
« Reply #1530 on: August 16, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
It was better than them taking me to places I wanted to go.  :laugh: like to school and picking me up from school after softball practice. I hated to wait for them to come.

Ever been to a Outback Steakhouse?

What's an Outback Steakhouse?  Some sort of Australian franchise, like a McDonalds?

You can get reasonable steaks just about anywhere here.  Or do you mean have I eaten some exotic Australian creatures?  I've eaten kangaroo, crocodile and...I think that's about it.

Outback Steakhouse is an Australian restaurant from your country. That's what I was told over here when one first opened in Missoula Montana when I was about 16. I even asked one of the waitresses there is the restaurant is from Australia and she said yes.

I don't know who owns the franchise.  It could just as likely be an American who has to have a percentage of Australian staff to keep with the authentic theme.  Much like how we have a lot of Irish backpackers work in Irish Pubs here, but the Pubs aren't necessarily owned by Irish people.

Most restaurants like that are far removed from the actual experience.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1531 on: August 16, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
It was better than them taking me to places I wanted to go.  :laugh: like to school and picking me up from school after softball practice. I hated to wait for them to come.

Ever been to a Outback Steakhouse?

What's an Outback Steakhouse?  Some sort of Australian franchise, like a McDonalds?

You can get reasonable steaks just about anywhere here.  Or do you mean have I eaten some exotic Australian creatures?  I've eaten kangaroo, crocodile and...I think that's about it.

Outback Steakhouse is an Australian restaurant from your country. That's what I was told over here when one first opened in Missoula Montana when I was about 16. I even asked one of the waitresses there is the restaurant is from Australia and she said yes.

I don't know who owns the franchise.  It could just as likely be an American who has to have a percentage of Australian staff to keep with the authentic theme.  Much like how we have a lot of Irish backpackers work in Irish Pubs here, but the Pubs aren't necessarily owned by Irish people.

Most restaurants like that are far removed from the actual experience.

It is based in Tampa, Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outback_Steakhouse

As the name suggests, Outback Steakhouse has a strong Australian outback theme, exemplified by Boomerangs, stuffed crocodiles, maps of Australia, a reproduction of Ned Kelly's helmet, whips, didgeridoos, and paintings by Aboriginal artists. Menu items are largely named after places in Australia, including the Ayers Rock Strip, Alice Springs Chicken, and Rockhampton Ribeye. Others are named after animals, like Kookaburra Wings, or Wallaby Darned. Some items are named after agricultural professions, such as the Jackaroo Chops or Drover's Platter.

Teejay

« Reply #1532 on: August 16, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

I do not think it is even Australian owned, there are no Outback Steakhouses in Australia. Traditional 'White' Australia food consists of meat pies, roast lamb, beef or chicken, steak, lamb chops served with three vegetables.

Fosters is not drunk much in Australia anyway.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1533 on: August 16, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »
They can't even get people with real Australian accents on the commercials.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1534 on: August 16, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
Their steaks are good though.   Not as good as Ruth Chris or Morton's as far as steakhouse chains go.   Those two are expensive as fuck though.   I have had a Filet Mignon you could cut through with a butter knife at Ruth Chris though.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1535 on: August 16, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
As the name suggests, Outback Steakhouse has a strong Australian outback theme, exemplified by Boomerangs, stuffed crocodiles, maps of Australia, a reproduction of Ned Kelly's helmet, whips, didgeridoos, and paintings by Aboriginal artists. Menu items are largely named after places in Australia, including the Ayers Rock Strip, Alice Springs Chicken, and Rockhampton Ribeye. Others are named after animals, like Kookaburra Wings, or Wallaby Darned. Some items are named after agricultural professions, such as the Jackaroo Chops or Drover's Platter.

whips?  i'm in!  ;D
Misunderstood.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1536 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:21 PM »
well do you expect chinese restaurants to be called chinese restaurants in china?

only americans use the word american inside america. god knows why.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1537 on: August 16, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »
well do you expect chinese restaurants to be called chinese restaurants in china?

pride.  ;D
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #1538 on: August 16, 2007, 10:28:49 PM »

pride.  ;D

compensating

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #1539 on: August 16, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

It is funny since the United States of America do not comprise of all of North America let alone South and Central America.   All of those people now can make claim to be Americans technically.   When in fact the indigenous Native Americans are the only true Americans (Aztec, Mayan, Creek, Seminole, etc.).   The rest of us are imports from other continents.   There is very little that is true "American" culture as far as the modern definition of American goes.   Maybe Jazz and the Blues... but that is really and African thing imo that was raped by the white man and watered down into the 5 note pentatonic scale and its various modal variations.   What was so wrong about the Diabolus in Musica?
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1540 on: August 17, 2007, 01:04:09 AM »
I want to take my friend to the Outback Steakhouse. He told me on Monday he wish he could go to one and I decided why not surprise him with it.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1541 on: August 17, 2007, 03:23:34 AM »

I do not think it is even Australian owned, there are no Outback Steakhouses in Australia. Traditional 'White' Australia food consists of meat pies, roast lamb, beef or chicken, steak, lamb chops served with three vegetables.
Fosters is not drunk much in Australia anyway.

Maybe in the 1960's but that is definitely not the food I was raised on.  Perhaps it depends on your heritage...in your case maybe all English?

Teejay

« Reply #1542 on: August 17, 2007, 05:28:55 AM »

Maybe in the 1960's but that is definitely not the food I was raised on.  Perhaps it depends on your heritage...in your case maybe all English?

My heritage is British, mostly English. Although my family has been here since the 19th century.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1543 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:27 AM »

My heritage is British, mostly English. Although my family has been here since the 19th century.

See, I could tell by your opinion of Australian food.  Very British.

And I guess, some familiies aren't very experimental in trying cuisines of other countries, but in Australia, it's becoming more and more common.  My family were just eating unusual stuff way back in the 70's.  But I have a mixed background.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1544 on: August 17, 2007, 06:38:21 AM »
Drive your parents' car. That's what I did when I was in high school but I only drove to and from school and to my doctor appointments and to work when I was 18. I didn't really go anywhere on my own I wanted to go to till I was 19 but I soemtimes went looking in second hand stores after school and stop at Wal-Mart occasionally when I go to my shrink or after I was done seeing him.
I never asked my parents for anything since the day I left home.  It just wouldn't occur to me to do that.
Same. I feel like I shouldn't ask for help.

Food: Lamingtons, Vegemite, pavlova...
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae