Author Topic: Statutory rape and gender equality  (Read 5006 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Statutory rape and gender equality
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
The difference in level of maturity was something I'd considered actually, people always claim that girls mature faster than boys- if that's true a 15 year old girl and a 17 year old boy could conceivably have the same level of maturity.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »
I know that I would have jumped at the chance
at about 15 or 16. Any earlier, and I don't think
that it would have been reasonable though.

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »
Agreed. Gender equality should be about taking both the good and the bad.

Pyraxis, I find this view on gender equality really refreshing - and yours too, PI :thumbup:. I have always been a firm believer in gender equality, but I believe this should revolve around rights and responsibilities. I am really thankful that are still some good feminist debaters out there who's arguements are not lined with a hatred of males. I've had to put up with two years of omega's male-hating rants posing under the guise of "feminism". She seemed to believe that females are victims of male oppression and that women should be allowed to behave how they like without regard to their responsibilities by sheer virtue of the fact that they are female. Its amazing how she has managed to guilt-trip me with all her "oppression" and "victim" stories for so long. She is probably the type of person who would cry "rape" and get a man imprisoned falsely just because he had the audacity to ask her out.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »
I personally wouldn't call myself a feminist, mainly because I don't like what feminism has come to stand for and the way feminist doctrine is used to tell people how to think and act.  Gender equality is one thing, wanting special treatment to make up for the 'disadvantages' you believe you have in life is quite another.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 07:07:41 AM »
boys mature sexually faster. girls mature mentally. so it's not the same thing at all. and they say a man's sexual peak is at the age of 15 and a woman's at the age of 30.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 07:11:34 AM »
boys mature sexually faster. girls mature mentally. so it's not the same thing at all. and they say a man's sexual peak is at the age of 15 and a woman's at the age of 30.

What's the difference between emotional maturity, sexual maturity and mental maturity then? (I would have assumed that mental maturity was the same or similar to mental maturity).

Plus I thought men reached their sexual peak at around 18-22.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »
 :'(

what, i am passed my sexual peak?
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 07:18:14 AM »
I know I'm past mine.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »
i'll give you an example. many boys are ready for sex at a younger age while staying stupid way longer. everyone knows boys that are mentally and emotionally mature before they turn 20 are rare jewels.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 07:22:44 AM »
i'll give you an example. many boys are ready for sex at a younger age while staying stupid way longer. everyone knows boys that are mentally and emotionally mature before they turn 20 are rare jewels.

So what would you say being ready for sex actually involves then, if its not emotional or mental maturity?  Is it all about what age you go through puberty?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »

So what would you say being ready for sex actually involves then, if its not emotional or mental maturity?  Is it all about what age you go through puberty?
maybe she thinks that you have to be horny to engage in sex.  maturity doesn't matter.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 07:26:33 AM »
Damn- I was horny from being 13 but I wasn't ready for sex.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »
no, i just know i was on a certain level more mature than my friends, but i'm still not completely ready for sex and i'm 24. as in, i didn't like doing all the stupid things teenagers do, i thought it was childish, but when it came to dating i was nowhere near ready for that or sex or even kissing. i'm an aspie though so it's not typical of all girls to be like that but girls still mature sexually slower than boys imo.

i was horny at an early age too but not ready for sex. that's not what i mean.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 07:31:03 AM »
I know I'm past mine.

I'm pretty sure that my sexual peak happened when I was about thirty. I've always been a late bloomer.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
I personally wouldn't call myself a feminist, mainly because I don't like what feminism has come to stand for and the way feminist doctrine is used to tell people how to think and act.  Gender equality is one thing, wanting special treatment to make up for the 'disadvantages' you believe you have in life is quite another.

Perhaps "feminist" was the wrong word to use. You are right in a way because the term "feminist" portrays the "femme" or woman as central, whereas gender equality should not portray either as central. Someone needs to come up with a new term that encompasses gender equality.

In the past, I always assumed that feminism was gender equality and it covered all the events leading to the emancipation of women. Perhaps it was? Now it has become more clear to me that since emancipation, some people have applied it to all forms of women's "rights", some of which are unfair and unnecessary.