Author Topic: Scottish elections  (Read 4788 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Scottish elections
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »

Scrapheap

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
Are Norwegians and Swedes rivals in Europe as well as here in America ??

Swedes are for Norwegians what Yanks are for Canadians I think. We're their "bigger brothers", which they don't always like...My home province was ceded from Norway to Sweden in 1658, by the way.

Here in America, especially in states like Minesota and Wisconsin, many Norwegians and Swede's settles there. They formed town around their own ethnicity and developed rivalries with neighboring towns.

I dated a girl from that area who was Norwegian. She said she couldn't get out of he car in a Swedish town without the risk of getting beaten up for being in the 'wrong' town.

Litigious

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

Swedes are for Norwegians what Yanks are for Canadians I think. We're their "bigger brothers", which they don't always like...My home province was ceded from Norway to Sweden in 1658, by the way.

Here in America, especially in states like Minesota and Wisconsin, many Norwegians and Swede's settles there. They formed town around their own ethnicity and developed rivalries with neighboring towns.

I dated a girl from that area who was Norwegian. She said she couldn't get out of he car in a Swedish town without the risk of getting beaten up for being in the 'wrong' town.

Funny. They seem to hold grudges from the old days, that are forgotten here in Europe. The only day at the year that I would be afraid to be in Norway as a Swede would be on Syttende mai, 17 May, their national day. That's the only time when they might be really anti-Swedish.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »
You mean odeon & Lit ??

I just share a county with Odeon.  8)

What about all that other stuff we shared?  :'(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
You mean odeon & Lit ??

I just share a county with Odeon.  8)

What about all that other stuff we shared?  :'(

Shhh, that's a secret!  :-X

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 02:33:16 PM »
beg to differ. Canada is big brother for the US. the US is this immature little brat and Canada the mature grown up one.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »

Funny. They seem to hold grudges from the old days, that are forgotten here in Europe. The only day at the year that I would be afraid to be in Norway as a Swede would be on Syttende mai, 17 May, their national day. That's the only time when they might be really anti-Swedish.

--Or if Norway and Sweden ever have to face each other in the World Cup, and Sweden winds up winning on a technicality, or referee error.

For the record, I lived in Eastern North Dakota when I was a kid, and the Ethnic situation was pretty much Norwegian, Swedish,Danish with a few Finns, Poles, and Ashkenazi Jews. There were no ethnic tensions there whatsoever. --Everybody was properly Scandinavian and culturally speaking, they were completely boring.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:25:45 PM by ASpHole »
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »
but never in the finals.  they both suck too badly.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
but never in the finals.  they both suck too badly.

Sweden could get as close as the semi-finals but that's about it. And not with the current team.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »
The thing about anti-Swedish feelings on the Norwegian national day, is that their constituition was written on 17 May 1814, but that they were forced into a 91 year long union with Sweden that year, after a 400 year long forced union with Denmark. But, of course, we lost Norway too, in the end, just like we lost Finland and the Baltic provinces.  :(

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2007, 03:45:58 PM »
Get over it, Lit.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

Yeah, but Sweden owned Norway. We never succeeded in our attempts
to take canadia.

Scrapheap

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 01:17:09 AM »

to take canadia.

Are you trying to imply that theres a country in North America NORTH of the U.S.?? Surely you jest.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 01:22:47 AM »
No. And stop calling me surely.

Crap, that just doesn't work in writing.

Litigious

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »

to take canadia.

But you never ceded anything to any country, except some small parts of the Louisiana territory to Canada, and then Canada at the same time ceded territories to the US. You also ceded some very tiny piece of land to Mexico in 1970. Sweden had an Empire, stretching almost all the way around the Baltic, which we lost, and after taking Norway as kind of compensation for the loss of Finland, they finally got their independence without war in 1905. Sweden is so thoroughly pawned. I think that's the reason we're cowards.  :-\