Author Topic: Scottish elections  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Scottish elections
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 04:27:25 AM »
* odeon is deliberately ignoring the off-topic commentary.

So, Peter, what do you think? Do you prefer an independent Scotland?

I think it would be good for Scots to control their own country, but I'm not so sure about the economics of it.  Scotland has lot of very deprived areas and a lot of people on benefits, and may be subsidised by England, so a split from England could bring economic hardship.  Also, although we have our North Sea oil coming in at Aberdeen, it's approaching the end of it's life, and we haven't built up a fund to deal with the oil drying up the same way Norway has.

Ultimately, it could be a good thing, and lead to a renewal of Scottish culture, new economic development and greater prosperity in the long run, but it could be quite a bumpy ride to get there.

The Liberal Democrats oppose Scottish independence, and only want greater powers for the Scottish parliament, so that's forming a bit of a sticking point at the moment in the coalition talks between the SNP, LD and Greens.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:14 AM »
is this good? are they going to legalize drugs now? :P

The elected parties seem to have a focus on rehabilitation and harm reduction, rather than on heavy sentences and zero tolerance, so while they're unlikely to legalise anything, we could see less enforcement of existing drug laws, and money previously spent on enforcement diverted to rehabilitation and harm reduction efforts.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 04:59:02 AM »
some of us are too lazy to fool doctors all day long, Lit.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 05:03:23 AM »

You need anti-lazy pills so that you can get the yummypills.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:48 AM »
Watching the news right now about the results are being questioned.  There was a lot that went wrong during the election, and 100,000 ballots were disqualified.  Since the SNP majority was only 46 votes, Labour is challenging the result.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:44:55 AM by Peter »

Litigious

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 05:40:37 AM »

You need anti-lazy pills so that you can get the yummypills.

She needs some speed to trick the doc to get her some valium.  ;D

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »
ironic, eh :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »

What no blood tests? It's harder to fool doctors when you have to give them your blood to get your meds corrected or re-scripted.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
who the heck demands blood tests?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 07:46:09 AM »
They won't ever take mine without force.

Litigious

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 07:49:10 AM »

What no blood tests? It's harder to fool doctors when you have to give them your blood to get your meds corrected or re-scripted.

No blood tests for that here, except if you're convicted for drug crimes or taken into mental ward.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »

I think it is frequently done to protect doctors from malpractice suits at the insistance from their malpractice insurance companies. We pay a good deal to make sure our doctors can't be held liable for their treatments to us. Welcome to the American Dream.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

I think it is frequently done to protect doctors from malpractice suits at the insistance from their malpractice insurance companies. We pay a good deal to make sure our doctors can't be held liable for their treatments to us. Welcome to the American Dream.

Doctors are more or less "untouchables" in Sweden too, despite that we don't have to give blood tests. Authority people and high status people like doctors are seen as very trustworthy, much more than any "ordinary" citizen, in this country, despite the claims of equality in this society.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 07:58:57 AM »
people in finland aren't sue-happy like in america, and the doctors are uptight assholes who don't want to give you anything addictive. you have to work hard to get any, it gets tiring. after a few times i just decided to settle for alcohol until i find some ideal situation to get drugs. besides the doctors were starting to think i was somekind of valium addict... ::) and private doctors i went to asked me why i didn't just go see my GP and were really suspicious.

and my mom tried to get some pills here in ireland and the doc said she should just use her natural defense systems or whatever. fucking idiot. mom didn't even ask for anything addictive. ??? what is wrong with these doctors.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:01:46 AM by Milla Bobilla Banana Boink »
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Litigious

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 08:02:16 AM »
When did you live in Finland?  :)