Author Topic: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
do any of you have kids that are giving dirtdawg advice?

No, my kids haven't given DD any advice. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »
Hi Calamity,

It really is frustring when you feel that your child is being taught by simpletons, isn't it? 

My recommendation to you would be to probe the intelligence that your son already has about the war...what makes you think the war is over?  etc. and try to see within what context his information is framed.  We know the war is not over, the men and women who are there still fighting know the war is not over...so when he answers (it may be something like "We were shown a picture of Geo. Bush on a ship with a sign that says 'Mission Accomplished.'")  you can ask him follow-up questions, like why do you think the war is over? And so forth.  These questions will serve several functions:  1)  They will give you an understanding of his knowledge base of the issue and what he is being taught.  2)  They will give you some indication of the political ideology of his teachers/school.  3)  They will teach your son, implicity, to question his own basis of knowledge and to question what he is intellectually fed by others...teach him to be a critical thinker...

Rhonda

Hi, Rhonda, Glad to see you here. Hope you're tough enough inclined to stay a while.

Your comments sum up where I am trying to get to with my son. He is an autistic eight year old, quite advanced, beyond believability, in some areas and somewhat hindered in others. We have made progress this week, as much as he is receptive to. Going can be slow and that is what shocked me so - how far he had been taken, before I "clued in" to what was happening.

If it was simpletons I was dealing with, I could just take up the slack from time to time, but they know what they are doing. If I sound paranoid, it's because I am, but with reason.
Thanks for your insights.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 12:24:51 PM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »

Hey Richard, thanks for watching my back, but I would welcome any comments from anyone. At the end of the day we can all sift through them, if needed.

What about you? What do you think?
I know you don't care much for current events, which is fine, but go ahead and speak out as a young, "invulnerable" man, please.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »

:clap:

They have given advice to you, though. I hope you have learned as much from your kids as I have from mine. I did not know that Class 101  went at this pace.
 :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2007, 03:59:50 PM »

:clap:

They have given advice to you, though. I hope you have learned as much from your kids as I have from mine. I did not know that Class 101  went at this pace.
 :laugh:

Shock treatment, I believe it's called. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »
Hey Richard, thanks for watching my back,.
its what i do 8)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »
I don't think he meant backside.

richard

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
no. he ment watching out for him. + intrests

Offline rjgwood

• Rookie (be kind to me)
    • Blogging For Autism Power
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »
Hi Calamity,

It really is frustring when you feel that your child is being taught by simpletons, isn't it? 

My recommendation to you would be to probe the intelligence that your son already has about the war...what makes you think the war is over?  etc. and try to see within what context his information is framed.  We know the war is not over, the men and women who are there still fighting know the war is not over...so when he answers (it may be something like "We were shown a picture of Geo. Bush on a ship with a sign that says 'Mission Accomplished.'")  you can ask him follow-up questions, like why do you think the war is over? And so forth.  These questions will serve several functions:  1)  They will give you an understanding of his knowledge base of the issue and what he is being taught.  2)  They will give you some indication of the political ideology of his teachers/school.  3)  They will teach your son, implicity, to question his own basis of knowledge and to question what he is intellectually fed by others...teach him to be a critical thinker...

Rhonda

Hi, Rhonda, Glad to see you here. Hope you're tough enough inclined to stay a while.

Your comments sum up where I am trying to get to with my son. He is an autistic eight year old, quite advanced, beyond believability, in some areas and somewhat hindered in others. We have made progress this week, as much as he is receptive to. Going can be slow and that is what shocked me so - how far he had been taken, before I "clued in" to what was happening.

If it was simpletons I was dealing with, I could just take up the slack from time to time, but they know what they are doing. If I sound paranoid, it's because I am, but with reason.
Thanks for your insights.

Well, I hope you are able to stay ahead of the game now that you know what's going on there!  It would be very frustrating!!!  I feel for you Jane.  I'm sure I will be in similar shoes in another five years.  We have to stay vigilant.

RJ