Author Topic: Intimidated, new, and have to ask  (Read 1984 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Intimidated, new, and have to ask
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 02:47:31 AM »
Well, yeah, I lied to the n00b. :eyebrows:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi Ladytron and welcome to Intensity²- we have a 10 year old son with AS and its a constant balancing act trying to give him the skills to cope in the real world, whilst not destroying his own personality. Its a real fear of mine that I'm not going to get this balancing act right and he's going to grow up thinking I was trying to change him.   We've not been offered any therapies, etc (they don't seem to be as popular in the UK) so I can't offer advice on what works- we just tend to take each day at a time and tackle any problems ourselves as they arise.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 04:38:54 AM »
She has seemed to blossom with therapy, intense therapy in terms of the raw hours (40 hours a week)
40 hours a week? That's more than a full time job! ??? ??? ???
Does she get RDOs?! Four weeks holiday every year?!

Erm....I should calm down. :tea:

I didn't have any intervention or anything so I really can't talk. I didn't go from HFA to AS (didn't really know one could but if a person gets reassessed, well..)
So when I got to high school I wanted to kill a lot of people. If I had one of those TASER things now I would search a few people out. :evillaugh:
Yeah, being different can affect a person badly but it sounds as though your daughter has got a lot of support surrounding her, this is what I didn't have, it made a lot of difference.

Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Kahless

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 06:32:59 AM »
Let her take revenge on grey squirrels, militant cyclists, people forcing you to live 'ethically', and other political correctness. Let her be herself, let her talents and hobbies blossom, don't try and force her to do things does doesn't want.

Aspies can be very stubborn, strong willed, and determined. Channel this energy and she could become very successful! She looks cute and bubbly.

Would love my own children soon.
Lord of the Londerground

Offline paradox

• Constant Poster
  • babbling randomly in a reality near you
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
Speech therapy did me a world of good. But almost every other thing that was tried ether backfired or added up to the self-loathing I have now. If anything could have helped it would have been an open family. Being able to go home and have some one to talk to that was not chanting with the rest “you are wrong” “you are broken” “be like us” would have helped a lot I might still talk to my family if they had not judged. Having things explained would have also helped.  Jokes, social rules, household rules. Explaining rules!!  My altitude all ways was and always will be “You may be the parent but that is not a reason” I have a right to hear the reason and a need. I often did not understand rules if you explain the why I know what the rule means.

one other thing
Drugs are bad Drugs are bad Drugs are bad DO NOT GIVE MIND ALTERING DRUGS TO A CHILD!!!! No matter what the psych say
I have never understood why it should be necessity to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it should be necessity to prove it at all - Avon

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

My son and daughter have both had various therapies.
My daughter was similar to me, in one way, that she did not talk for herself, only echoed what others said. Very cute, but when SHE needed to commmunicate, she could not make words. She has been in speech therapy for over three years, now and she is able to talk normally, except for the number of exchanges that kids her age (six) should be able to manage (we are all three, easily distracted). We will continue her speech therapy for the near future. Her occupational therapy only went for one year. She is much more coordinated and dextrous than her older brother, especially her handwriting.
My son has been in occupational therapy for about five years. His speech therapy was discontinued after two years and now his speech and vocabulary are remarkable at age eight.

They are both testing well into the genius/gifted range, but I can not imagine how we could have gotten here without the needed guidance from the proper therapists. They are both in social work groups at public school. We may not continue those for our daughter, because she can be so extroverted at times and basically pwns the social therapy class. They will need a different approach to help her from what they are using, since she already has many skills, though her skills are not always used appropriately. We will continue social group work for my son, at this point.

BTW, my kids are drug-free.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:39:43 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ladytron

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
My daughter does not interact very much at all with typical peers, nor did she when she attended a public elementary school, so "keeping up with peers on the playground" is not one of our big concerns.  I would be happy if she just kept her hands and feet to herself.  She just started attending a specialized school for autistic children a few days ago.  She turned 11 today and she is in the class for "higher functioning children."  She is highly verbal, but she has difficulty being understood sometimes by people who do not know her well, even after seven years of speech therapy.

Is that your daughter in your avatar?  She is adorable.

Just checking in finally today.  I'm in constant legal wrangling hell trying to keep my daughter's program going and it's a full time job.

thanks for the "snapshot" of your daughter.  I will probably PM you to chat more offline. I am working on a killer project right now I'd like to talk to you about,

That is my little girl in the avatar.  She is totally adorable, thanks for saying so!!  :)
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ladytron

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »

There's always room for one more weirdo so tell me, are you on the spectrum yourself?

Oh, I almost forgot, when we become adults, some of us apparently go around shooting people (if the media are to be believed) or advocate ideas weirdly close to this.

I have not been diagnosed, but my child is on spectrum and has never been immunized, which may indicate I gave her some gene or something.  Her father is a space alien.  I am certainly not normal.  The state hates me because I take pleasure in spedning hours reading the minutest deatils of legal briefs in order to trump them on my daughter's cases.  Who knows what my deal is! (anal rentention syndrome maybe)

Thanks for the welcome though.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ladytron

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
Hi Ladytron and welcome to Intensity²- we have a 10 year old son with AS and its a constant balancing act trying to give him the skills to cope in the real world, whilst not destroying his own personality. Its a real fear of mine that I'm not going to get this balancing act right and he's going to grow up thinking I was trying to change him.   We've not been offered any therapies, etc (they don't seem to be as popular in the UK) so I can't offer advice on what works- we just tend to take each day at a time and tackle any problems ourselves as they arise.

Hi hi hi!

Great to meet you.  I have bee ntrying to connect with families in the UK and Spain with little avail.  I know that kids there are diganosed wayyyyyy later generally, which kind of breaks my heart.  I want to know more about your son.

You can expect a PM from me or please PM me yourself.  I'd love to hear all about your family.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline ladytron

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »

one other thing
Drugs are bad Drugs are bad Drugs are bad DO NOT GIVE MIND ALTERING DRUGS TO A CHILD!!!! No matter what the psych say

Thanks you so much for your honest post.  It means a lot to me to hear the reality, that is totally what I wanted to find out by coming into this forum.

I will never in a million years ever allow anyone to put her on drugs.  If it comes to htat we will move to a poppy field in Montana and she can run with the wolves.  We'll just ride horses and harvest alfalfa all day.

Calamity jane thanks for the feedback.  Are theyboth AS?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:22:36 PM by ladytron »
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
  Her father is a space alien.

Wow. How did you meet one?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »

Calamity jane thanks for the feedback.  Are theyboth AS?

Not that there is any big difference, but my kids are both diagnosed, PDD-NOS and HFA, and my son has also been diagnosed with ADHD.

I'm cured.
 :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »

And can I meet him too?

If it comes to htat we will move to a poppy field in Montana and she can run with the wolves.  We'll just ride horses and harvest alfalfa all day.

So that's where all the good mothers have gone!
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »

Never heard of alien abductions? :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 02:44:56 AM »

Never heard of alien abductions? :P