Educational

Author Topic: Juggling the feuds..?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Juggling the feuds..?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 06:59:21 AM »
i think the difference is that your history is full of radical class differences.  yet in america, our history is one of mostly middleclass....especially the euro-americans.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 07:09:03 AM »
I hadn't really considered it to be a class thing, more a clash of personalities

But I could be wrong - the Black Country accent certainly doesn't shreik intelligence lol
in fact it's often used to denote a very stupid person lol

So perhaps I'm being stereotyped by my accent??

Age difference probably a large factor as well imo

Who knows

I would have thought that my posts on the board alone would have mitigated for any effect my accent might have tho

In my experience, all groups have a 'top table' crew ie those who set themselves as above the others and the rest of the group are often desperately trying to access the inner sanctum

I think the kudos of being in this top group is largely imaginary tho - it's the very not being in it that gives it it's kudos as I think most people are always striving for something slightly above themselves - it's how we progress

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 07:12:22 AM »
i think the difference is that your history is full of radical class differences.  yet in america, our history is one of mostly middleclass....especially the euro-americans.

I'm sure you must have the full spectrum of 'classes' over there too.  But I suppose that in recent years (when the unions were being screwed and neutered) many Brits did identify strongly with their social class, a sense of belonging is important- especially when you've got a lot of other shit going on in your life.  Having said that though I think its something that people in general (not just the Brits) desire, a sense of belonging I mean, and the need to see things in black and white (e.g. people are either good or bad, there is no in between in a lot of people's eyes).

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »
But I could be wrong - the Black Country accent certainly doesn't shreik intelligence lol
in fact it's often used to denote a very stupid person lol

like the deep south in the USA?

So perhaps I'm being stereotyped by my accent??
southern drawl?
you might be a redneck if....
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:34 AM »

I'm sure you must have the full spectrum of 'classes' over there too.  But I suppose that in recent years (when the unions were being screwed and neutered) many Brits did identify strongly with their social class, a sense of belonging is important- especially when you've got a lot of other shit going on in your life.  Having said that though I think its something that people in general (not just the Brits) desire, a sense of belonging I mean, and the need to see things in black and white (e.g. people are either good or bad, there is no in between in a lot of people's eyes).
i really believe that strong class differences is a recent phenomina in aamerica...since reaganomics?
and once again i clarify that the american dream and middle class was for anybody, especially the white people.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 07:18:56 AM »
It doesn't sound anything like a Deep South accent, but it's the same principle probably

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »
I see what you mean- there's always been the hope that with hard work you can achieve the 'American dream' (whether that's actually possible or not for everyone I don't know).  Here the majority of people seem to stick to the roles in life that are expected of them and people do judge you by your social class.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 07:23:36 AM »
It doesn't sound anything like a Deep South accent, but it's the same principle probably

sorry if i wasn't clear.  i was just trying to understand the mindset.  so i was relating it to my home country.  of course the accents are different.  the brits have a 'better than thou' pitch.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »
Are you talking about the UK Purposeful?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »
I see what you mean- there's always been the hope that with hard work you can achieve the 'American dream' (whether that's actually possible or not for everyone I don't know).  Here the majority of people seem to stick to the roles in life that are expected of them and people do judge you by your social class.
my generation doesn't truly think this way.  maybe that is our undoing.  we are very apathetic towards life, and the future.  maybe that is our excuse.  we are the TV, Videogame, sit on your arse generation.  so maybe we are just lazy.  we are comfortably numb....apathy is a bitch.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 07:35:55 AM »

Yes- maybe its just the experience I've had but it seems that people are never very encouraging if your try steer away from what is expected of you.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 07:38:22 AM »

Yes- maybe its just the experience I've had but it seems that people are never very encouraging if your try steer away from what is expected of you.
laziness breeds contempt.

if you were to accomplish something then they would have to steer away from the easy course themselves.  or they would have to live their life knowing that they were a failure, of sorts.
people are funny that way...keeping or bringing others down to their level.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »
The Black Country accent is not like the one you are probably used to as representing the average english person

We don't talk like in James Bond lol

I know what you mean Purposeful - I often feel I'm the victim of inverted snobbery because I talk with less of an obvious accent/less of the vernacular but this is ridiculous - I've got working class roots and don't do most of the middle class pretentious stuff that a lot of these inverted snobs try and emulate unknowingly, so it's ridiculous!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:45:54 AM by esme456 »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »
I've seen it from the other side Esme- I have a working class Yorkshire accent so I've often had people assume I must be stupid.  I guess people are just too quick to make snap judgements.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 07:59:27 AM »
once again....people do this to keep you in check.  so as to satisfy their own insecurities.

wanna give them a gig eff you?
don't allow them.
Misunderstood.