Author Topic: Emo  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Emo
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 12:51:17 PM »
That would have to be pretty pervasive performance anxiety, since I'm almost never on the same wavelength as humor, and my attempts to fake it range from pathetically awkward to baffling everyone around me. Once in a blue moon I get the timing perfect though and end up with people joking about it for days.

My guess is it's spectrum, combined with a secret hatred/disgust of humor.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 04:06:35 PM »

call a suicide hotline right away! you need help. the people around you all love you. nobody wants you to die.

I tried, but they wouldn't tell me where to find a sharper knife.

@Pyraxis - I've found you one of the most humorous posters here actually.
Might just say something about why I'm the only one laughing sometimes.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:08:23 PM by calandale »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
That would have to be pretty pervasive performance anxiety, since I'm almost never on the same wavelength as humor, and my attempts to fake it range from pathetically awkward to baffling everyone around me. Once in a blue moon I get the timing perfect though and end up with people joking about it for days.

My guess is it's spectrum, combined with a secret hatred/disgust of humor.
It's great when the timing comes out right, too. That's kind of what I meant. Sometimes the harder you try blah, blah ...

... but, secret?
... hatred/disgust?
... humor?
... secret hatred/disgust of humor?

Feel free to expound or illustrate. This the "Emo" thread, after all.

Ditto calandale, you're funny, when you want to be.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »

I ALWAYS want to be (damned near at least)
Just shows how poor I usually am.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »

Uhm, I probably should have said ditto-ing calandale, instead I said "ditto calandale" - no comma, as if your entire essence was contained within a few bytes of text. I meant that I was re-enunciating what you had said (Pyraxis is funny), but it's OK, cuz yer funny, too, usually.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:59:43 PM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »

Uhm, I probably should have said ditto-ing calandale, instead I said "ditto calandale" - no comma, as if your entire essence was contained within a few bytes of text. I meant that I was re-enunciating what you had said (Pyraxis is funny), but it's OK, cuz yer funny, too, usually.

Ah. And once again I had crept off and tried to take my life,
but so as not to be misunderstood this time, I was asphyxiating
myself with silly putty.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »

myself with silly putty.

I have heard that silly putty asphyxiation is one of the best ways to go.

:laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »
I love the way it smells. Haven't had any in
so long, I wonder if it's the same stuff still.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 08:05:30 PM »

myself with silly putty.

That sounds like the last cold, I had.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 08:08:49 PM »
Should have saved the snot.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
... but, secret?
... hatred/disgust?
... humor?

Okay, you asked for it. Anyone who doesn't like emo, this is your cue to skip ahead.

Scenario - Reality: It's Friday afternoon, and your class has been bugging you to let them watch cartoons for the class party for ages, so you treat them and record a few episodes of the Simpsons and Looney Toons. They have fun with it and have a great time.

Scenario - Through the spectrum kid's eyes:
You have no context for understanding the TV show that's playing, because your family has never had a TV and you don't have friends whose TV you could watch. You just know it's the class reward for being good all week. A guy is collecting a massive pile of sugar in his back yard, going through all kinds of trials and tribulations to protect it. But he's stupid, and his stupidity is putting all his hard work at risk. At the end of the show, it rains and all the sugar melts away. You feel horribly sick. You know what he did wrong: cared too much about something. Everybody around you is laughing. You know that you are expected to enjoy seeing something like this happen to someone.

A family of pigs, and the duck who is trying really hard to be accepted by them, are coming back from a family vacation. The car comes to a tunnel, and they dare each other to hold their breath all the way through. Nobody sees the "5 mile tunnel" sign. You know from swimming classes that a person who spends five minutes underwater drowns, and from family vacations that on the highway people drive at a mile a minute. All the characters are getting desperate for air and turning all kinds of interesting colors. The duck can't make it and takes a breath. Defying all logic, all of the pigs make it. They make fun of the duck and at the end of the episode, kick him out of the family. But enduring their social rite of passage would have killed him. You are expected to find this funny.

Now maybe this confusion would push you outside your normal zone of balance, you would start crying, someone would come along to comfort you, and it would all be better. But at home if you ever get that emotional, you are being systematically trained to hide it and keep your mouth shut. So you can only conclude that the TV show is illustrating the rules that people have to live by in order to make it in the real world.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »
... but, secret?
... hatred/disgust?
... humor?

Okay, you asked for it. Anyone who doesn't like emo, this is your cue to skip ahead.

Scenario - Reality: It's Friday afternoon, and your class has been bugging you to let them watch cartoons for the class party for ages, so you treat them and record a few episodes of the Simpsons and Looney Toons. They have fun with it and have a great time.

Scenario - Through the spectrum kid's eyes:
You have no context for understanding the TV show that's playing, because your family has never had a TV and you don't have friends whose TV you could watch. You just know it's the class reward for being good all week. A guy is collecting a massive pile of sugar in his back yard, going through all kinds of trials and tribulations to protect it. But he's stupid, and his stupidity is putting all his hard work at risk. At the end of the show, it rains and all the sugar melts away. You feel horribly sick. You know what he did wrong: cared too much about something. Everybody around you is laughing. You know that you are expected to enjoy seeing something like this happen to someone.

A family of pigs, and the duck who is trying really hard to be accepted by them, are coming back from a family vacation. The car comes to a tunnel, and they dare each other to hold their breath all the way through. Nobody sees the "5 mile tunnel" sign. You know from swimming classes that a person who spends five minutes underwater drowns, and from family vacations that on the highway people drive at a mile a minute. All the characters are getting desperate for air and turning all kinds of interesting colors. The duck can't make it and takes a breath. Defying all logic, all of the pigs make it. They make fun of the duck and at the end of the episode, kick him out of the family. But enduring their social rite of passage would have killed him. You are expected to find this funny.

Now maybe this confusion would push you outside your normal zone of balance, you would start crying, someone would come along to comfort you, and it would all be better. But at home if you ever get that emotional, you are being systematically trained to hide it and keep your mouth shut. So you can only conclude that the TV show is illustrating the rules that people have to live by in order to make it in the real world.

(OMG, a sister ...)
Actually I don't really think of being sensitive as the emo part. I don't think of myself as sensitive to the same things as some others, either (yet, I can be very perceptive of things others don't even acknowledge exist) and I'm generally tagged as insensitive.  I think it matters more how you present or conceal your tears or fears through laughter or courage or apathy, if your out of tolerance.

... and one of the few things that some impressionable children can taste is the disgusting aftertaste of trying to learn some of those lessons. Maybe I'm doing harm, to my children by restricting television, but I feel good about it. I don't think it's wrong. The "air" is full of nonsense, that will not help them learn about how the world works, or worse yet, learn things all wrong.

At least I understand what you meant, now.