Author Topic: Step in the right direction.  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Step in the right direction.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »

i never said that i wasn't a bit mysogynistic.

i don't know anything about the israeli army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Army

What difference does it make if there are male or female leaders?

Litigious

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

i never said that i wasn't a bit mysogynistic.

i don't know anything about the israeli army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Army

Maybe not for Israelis, since they're a very strong people, both men and women, but I think he might be right that female thinking has made Europeans sissys who are afraid of guns.

Scrapheap

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »
Both Jewish men and women are required to serve in the Israeli Army and it is one of the most powerful and modern armies in the world. 

PC has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Correct! Having thier backs to the sea, only having a population of about 6 million, and having 300 million arabs who want to push them into the ocean is the motivation behind women in the IDF. They have no choice.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
There are just as many females in the USA as in Europe. Why would Europe be more against guns, if it were the fault of women?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Scrapheap

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 08:08:56 PM »

Based on my experience, the quality of women leaders varies more than men. A few women NCO's and officers I dealt with in the Marines were top notch. Many were bitchy, catty pieces of shit though.

From the standpoint of a military commander, you have a better chance of good leadership from a man than you do a woman.

Scrapheap

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
There are just as many females in the USA as in Europe. Why would Europe be more against guns, if it were the fault of women?

It's more about a mindset than gender, although women groups tend to be behind such nonsense. (million mom march)

(i.e. women's groups were a big driving force behind prohibition in the 20's)

Litigious

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 03:45:40 AM »
My mom told me that they mentioned this on Swedish TV last night. The comments were overwhelmingly negative. Big surprise!  ::)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »

Based on my experience, the quality of women leaders varies more than men. A few women NCO's and officers I dealt with in the Marines were top notch. Many were bitchy, catty pieces of shit though.

From the standpoint of a military commander, you have a better chance of good leadership from a man than you do a woman.

I know very little about other countries, but, the reason this is so in the US military is that, it is quite a straightforward process to identify a man, who you think is unfit for promotion into a position of higher authority, and eliminate him from contention and never have worry if you will be challenged to support your assessment. It happens often, although probably not often enough. However, if you deny a promotion to a seemingly qualified woman there is much more documentation to submit with the EREC evaluation (Army, don't know the Marine equivalent. I photographed the local EREC's needs for three years, before they closed Fort Harrison. I got to know a couple of officers, stationed on post.), just to cover your own ass and not be called on for unfair treatment of female officers.

Having to answer for an appeal of one of your decisions may result in having a decision you made overturned by an angry woman who outranks you. That would be bad enough, for you, but in a time of recruiting only from a volunteer pool, the public image must remain "spotless" and having a bunch of women running around saying they were skipped over for promotion would look really bad. They have to prevent that at all costs. The female officers files were almost always two boxes instead of just one, half full, from all the extra documentation that was teid to her career. The climate of thinking in the military brass, against the public perceiveing any lack of support for female officers, especially, has made the possibility of an unqualified female officer, "manning" a post, much more likely than it would have been if all officers, of either gender, were truly treated equally. Unfortunate, but that's the way it was explained to me by a full bird, I worked with.

... but you guys are full of shit, if you think women don't like guns or that women are afraid of them. There are enough women with guns, just under the Texas star, to offset your position on Europe, I would bet. I believe the difference in many European people is from a little leftover brainwashing by various dictators, over the years. At least that makes more sense than some idea that feminization of a government, which has no gender, is the cause of people giving up freedoms, so readily.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 06:20:17 AM »
... but you guys are full of shit, if you think women don't like guns or that women are afraid of them. There are enough women with guns, just under the Texas star, to offset your position on Europe, I would bet. I believe the difference in many European people is from a little leftover brainwashing by various dictators, over the years. At least that makes more sense than some idea that feminization of a government, which has no gender, is the cause of people giving up freedoms, so readily.

I more believe in McJagger's theory that the two Worldwars some way made people hate and fear guns. Plus my own theory of the peace movement, because you can read in books and newspapers from already before WWI that guns were looked upon very negatively by many people here. The Scandinavian countries weren't dictatorships when the first gun laws came here, neither was the UK. I very much doubt that most Europeans would still believe in gun laws that were made by Hitler and Stalin. Formally, the Nazis liberalized the gun law, by the way, but not in reality.

German Weapons Law of March 18, 1938

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 06:53:11 AM »
i think the peace movement had alot to do with the gun laws as well.

though the peace movement started, as a result, of the world wars.... and John Lennon.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 07:09:07 AM »
Actually, there was a peace movement in Europe already at the end of the 19th Century. Many of the founders were Swedes, ironically actually some of them were producers and inventors of guns themselves, like Alfred Nobel. He's one of the inventors of smokeless gun powder, that is still used today, and, of course, of dynamite.

Those countries in Europe where people are rather positive to guns and carry them, legally or illegally, are those countries that had to fight hardest for their freedom. The views on guns are much more positive in eastern and southern Europe than in northern and western. Greeks are among those Europeans that are most positive to guns. They say that every man on Crete gets a pistol on his 18th birthday.  8)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
as odeon would say, "those Crete-ons!"
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
 ;D

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »
i think the peace movement had alot to do with the gun laws as well.

though the peace movement started, as a result, of the world wars.... and John Lennon.

You are probably right, but don't blame it all on John Lennon. The last time he had a hit, it was the pavement. The peace movement, in the sixties, included most musicians and quite a number of Jane Fondas from Hollywood, not to mention a left-leaning Congress.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 07:30:36 AM »
Most European gun laws are from the time between the Worldwars. The legislation is probably due to the fact that extremist groups in many European countries were fighting each other openly in the streets, like in Germany or Ireland.