Author Topic: Interesting Topic P Brought Up  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Interesting Topic P Brought Up
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
I see nothing wrong with cyber-friendships. They can be just as valid, if not more so, then real-life friendships. Not everyone on the internet is a complete psycho who is out for your blood. For all you know, your real-life friend might be some nutcase who needs to be put away. If you don't wish to make friends on the internet, good for you. However, don't put down others who feel that they reap the benefits from this method of communication.

Not targeted at anyone here in particular. Just expressing what I am currently thinking about.

So how do other members feel about making friends online?

Due to personal experiences, I've been careful when it comes to choosing friends since I was in middle school. I finally grew to trust my instincts and they're usually spot on. Which is why I don't like getting too close to anyone online. People like to put on acts, and it's hard trying to figure out whether that's the person's true identity or their internet persona.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Interesting Topic P Brought Up
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
I'm better at reading people online than IRL, more comfortable online, and I travel for work - so almost all my friendships are online. I don't think it's any more or less valid than IRL.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
I agree with Pyraxis.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
That makes three of us.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »
i like the fact that you don't have to make eye contact with people online.  and flirting is usually innocent since i am not allowed to touch.
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:12:01 PM »
i like the fact that you don't have to make eye contact with people online.  and flirting is usually innocent since i am not allowed to touch.

Just don't flirt with PMS LLLL though.... she don't like it.  ::)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:35:07 AM »
I singled out and stalked GalileoAce online.
Other than that, I have one friend in rl and no friends in particular online.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:16 AM »

:-*

I'm not CLOSE with people online, but I consider them a part of a social/supoprt system in a way.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:01:43 AM »

I'm not CLOSE with people online, but I consider them a part of a social/supoprt system in a way.
serious abandonment issues.  she likes/prefers to keep people at arms length....
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:30:46 PM »
Thus spake the great Dr. Phil...
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
Thus spake the great Dr. Phil...
my name isn't phil....  call me mike hunt....
Misunderstood.

The_P

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
I see nothing wrong with cyber-friendships. They can be just as valid, if not more so, then real-life friendships. Not everyone on the internet is a complete psycho who is out for your blood. For all you know, your real-life friend might be some nutcase who needs to be put away. If you don't wish to make friends on the internet, good for you. However, don't put down others who feel that they reap the benefits from this method of communication.

Not targeted at anyone here in particular. Just expressing what I am currently thinking about.

So how do other members feel about making friends online?

Due to personal experiences, I've been careful when it comes to choosing friends since I was in middle school. I finally grew to trust my instincts and they're usually spot on. Which is why I don't like getting too close to anyone online. People like to put on acts, and it's hard trying to figure out whether that's the person's true identity or their internet persona.

I'm pretty open-minded with it. If you want to establish friendships, but have little desire to interact within bustling social environments, then the internet can be ideal for you, providing that the other person on the other side isn't stringing you along or something. The one potent thing which makes internet relations difficult at times is perhaps the lack of facial and physical cues which gauges a person's emotions and feelings. Without them, you will probably develop various thoughts of paranoia (it happened to me before). It's a question of how much effort and risks you put into these kind of friendships, at the end of the day.

Romance, however, is a different story...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »
romance is the best reason.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »

serious abandonment issues.  she likes/prefers to keep people at arms length....

Shows what you know.  I prefer to keep people hundreds or thousands of miles away without ever meeting them face to face.  So there.   :finger:   :laugh:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline T'Keyah

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
I prefer having friends IRL, i don't think i could call many people i met online so far a "friend".