Author Topic: Gas prices back under $2/Gallon in the US  (Read 5362 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Gas prices back under $2/Gallon in the US
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2014, 04:09:06 AM »
^Of course, I don't count anything paid by my employer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Our fuel prices are completely ridiculous, but that's because two thirds is tax.
How many hours a week do you have to drive, on average?

Well, to and from work, which is anything from fifteen minutes to thirty per trip. Sometimes out to lunch, perhaps another five minutes. Driving daughter to figure skating a couple of times a week is another ten or fifteen minutes.

It adds up.
Yeah.... I know it varies quite a bit by specific location (cities are obviously less), but my understanding is (broadly/on average) folks in Europe tend to have less distance they have to cover with their cars in the first place to get their needs met in their day-to-day lives.  My weekly driving average is... more.  And I live close to my job.

Not that that really makes it better, but I had to insert my "uphill, both ways" commentary, here.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »
Not that that really makes it better, but I had to insert my "uphill, both ways" commentary, here.

pfft!!  you're lucky. Out here in Cali we have 6 foot snow drifts to deal with.   :orly:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2014, 03:41:06 AM »
Our fuel prices are completely ridiculous, but that's because two thirds is tax.

Well, to and from work, which is anything from fifteen minutes to thirty per trip. Sometimes out to lunch, perhaps another five minutes. Driving daughter to figure skating a couple of times a week is another ten or fifteen minutes.

It adds up.
Yeah.... I know it varies quite a bit by specific location (cities are obviously less), but my understanding is (broadly/on average) folks in Europe tend to have less distance they have to cover with their cars in the first place to get their needs met in their day-to-day lives.  My weekly driving average is... more.  And I live close to my job.

Yes, we supposedly live closer to where we work, here. Also, our societies are built differently from yours, according to a friend who lives in Indianapolis.

That was one of the things that struck me when I visited the US. I had planned to walk from the Pentagon Memorial to a mall that, according to a map, was within walking distance but realised that there was no way to do it. The place was built for cars only.

The same was true to varying degrees in Bethesda, but surprisingly, not so much in NY from the little I saw.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »

It adds up.

Yes, we supposedly live closer to where we work, here. Also, our societies are built differently from yours, according to a friend who lives in Indianapolis.

That was one of the things that struck me when I visited the US. I had planned to walk from the Pentagon Memorial to a mall that, according to a map, was within walking distance but realised that there was no way to do it. The place was built for cars only.

The same was true to varying degrees in Bethesda, but surprisingly, not so much in NY from the little I saw.

That is starting  to change to some extent they are putting walk/bike lanes when they redo roads and bridges in a lot of areas.  One they built on the parkway near me is great not only because of the views  but before they built it there was only car lanes and if you were walking or on a bike it was about six miles just to reach the other side of the river
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:15 AM »
No wonder everyone was fatty fat and used crutches. The state forces everyone to use cars. :trollface:

- Albert Einstein

Hannah

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
not quiet awake enough to know what the crap odeon is talking about...but the gas prices are great for those who well are scraping to get by, thankfully and hopefully I have employment soon...

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
not quiet awake enough to know what the crap odeon is talking about...

Just the usual America bashing that You're-a-peeins like to engage in.   ::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »
not quiet awake enough to know what the crap odeon is talking about...but the gas prices are great for those who well are scraping to get by, thankfully and hopefully I have employment soon...

It's a reference to past discussions here, especially by a certain departed member. ;)

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
not quiet awake enough to know what the crap odeon is talking about...

Just the usual America bashing that You're-a-peeins like to engage in.   ::)

:zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:32 AM »
You're butthurt that I called you a You're-a-peein??   :orly:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »

It adds up.

NY is friendlier to those without cars than those with them, to my understanding.  Boston is this screwy in-between mix that's hostile to everyone (you sort of need to drive, but parking is a shitshow).

And speaking of the contrast between them, a tangential but very true meme:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:55 AM »

pfft!!  you're lucky. Out here in Cali we have 6 foot snow drifts to deal with.   :orly:
*snort*  Yeah, my heart bleeds for you and your snow problems.

(Maybe a real moment of sympathy for your drought problems, though.)

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2014, 06:11:17 AM »
No wonder everyone was fatty fat and used crutches. The state forces everyone to use cars. :trollface:
No, really.  That's a big component.

Car dependency also contributes to social stratification, especially since Cash for Clunkers.  If you can't afford car repair, then you also can't afford to live someplace you don't need a car.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2014, 06:12:52 AM »
NY is friendlier to those without cars than those with them, to my understanding.
My understanding as well.