Author Topic: Special treatment??  (Read 3319 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Special treatment??
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »
PI, i think what Nomaken means is the universal unconditional love most people feel toward everyone, empathy, caring... we are all chips from the same block of wood so there is a love between us all, but fear is what clouds that love for a lot of people so we can't really access all that fuzzy mojo so easily and spread it around to everybody. so we select the ones we get along with and don't fear and show them love instead, which is all fine and dandy but it's not the same as the already existing love. excuse me if i am not being very concise, i feel like my brain is lopsided. :violin:

I don't see that empathy/caring are the same as love (unconditional or not), sure they can often come together but I don't agree that love is necessary for the first.   I also don't agree that as a race humans have a predisposition to love absolutely everyone- how would survival of the fittest have ever worked if mankind was too busy loving everyone to actually be the 'fittest'?
* purposefulinsanity runs screaming from this thread that seems to have been sucked into a 60's timewarp wondering if that was really a button mushroom she just ate.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »
Since there's so much effort to keep Intensity from becoming a "Sausage Party" ,have we gone too far and are we treating women with kid's gloves and giving them special treatment??

i think that i have been guilty of this. lately.
mostly towards women.  but also towards ozy and kevv.

no more.  i am tired of not being myself.
i am tired of walking on egg-shells.

i am me.  i know that i mean no harm.  so if people want to take it the wrong way, then i guess that it is their problem.  not mine.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:53 AM »
It is very easy.  Perhaps it is not the same calibur of love you give to someone you KNOW deserves love, someone you know very well.  But I nonetheless feel love for those who are not loved.  Those abandoned by others.  And even themselves.

once you do the situation changes.  then they are loved.  what do you do then?
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
PI, i think what Nomaken means is the universal unconditional love most people feel toward everyone, empathy, caring... we are all chips from the same block of wood so there is a love between us all, but fear is what clouds that love for a lot of people so we can't really access all that fuzzy mojo so easily and spread it around to everybody. so we select the ones we get along with and don't fear and show them love instead, which is all fine and dandy but it's not the same as the already existing love. excuse me if i am not being very concise, i feel like my brain is lopsided. :violin:

I don't see that empathy/caring are the same as love (unconditional or not), sure they can often come together but I don't agree that love is necessary for the first.   I also don't agree that as a race humans have a predisposition to love absolutely everyone- how would survival of the fittest have ever worked if mankind was too busy loving everyone to actually be the 'fittest'?
* purposefulinsanity runs screaming from this thread that seems to have been sucked into a 60's timewarp wondering if that was really a button mushroom she just ate.

I don't know, PI. If we did not have a universal love for our own kind, we would still be laying eggs in the sand and swimming back out to sea. Call it xenophobia, maybe, if love doesn't fit, but without it we would not have needed to evolve intelligence. Animal instincts would have been enough to ensure survival, in some form.

Banding together is a most important advance, which humans can't claim to have invented, but we have benefitted more than many animals by protecting and helping each other.

It's mainly when we start to subdivide among ourselves into smaller groups, that fatal problems begin.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 10:54:30 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
Maybe i don't feel about them the way that deserves the word love.  I know that I have affection for them.  I feel pain for them.  I want to help them.  I want them to be happy.  If there is a word that more appropriately decribes how I feel for them besides love, I'll gladly change my word.

yes.

you root for the underdog.
Misunderstood.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
all you need is love, love, love is all you need. :green: mwahahaha :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

ozymandias

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2007, 11:04:14 AM »
Since there's so much effort to keep Intensity from becoming a "Sausage Party" ,have we gone too far and are we treating women with kid's gloves and giving them special treatment??

i am me.  i know that i mean no harm.  so if people want to take it the wrong way, then i guess that it is their problem.  not mine.

Actually I sort of felt that and for the record I never asked for special treatment.  I know that you mean no harm and it is MY responsibility as to how I react to what you or anybody else says.  I can respond or I can ignore, my choice!  I don't like walking on eggshells any more than you do.
Most of the time I prefer to ignore.  Easier on me!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 11:16:06 AM »
all you need is love, love, love is all you need. :green: mwahahaha :P

* 'Dawg hands Milla her own love-me-love-me-not daisy.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
* throws it away in terror

i'd go OCD with a flower like that. :laugh:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »

Actually I sort of felt that and for the record I never asked for special treatment.  I know that you mean no harm and it is MY responsibility as to how I react to what you or anybody else says.  I can respond or I can ignore, my choice!  I don't like walking on eggshells any more than you do.
Most of the time I prefer to ignore.  Easier on me!
fair enough.

and i respect your explanation.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
* throws it away in terror

i'd go OCD with a flower like that. :laugh:

Compositae have an odd number of petals. As long as you start with 'love' you will be fine, OCD and all, considering the fact that there are a finite number of those petals to pull out.

:laugh:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
I tend to try not to piss people off too badly because I know on a forum like this I'd get my ass handed to me.  I hope I haven't been "kid-glove"d here, save for the obvious instances of my posts in the "real problems" forum where I'm 110% emo.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2007, 11:58:29 AM »
If I know what it feels like to be unloved, even if I do not know a person, I know them.  At least part of them.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
i would always have to finish with the love petal and if not so my head would explode. :)
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Scrapheap

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »

I don't think so.  There are some people here who try to be kind to people who are having problems, but I don't think that it is gender-based.

Lately there has been a guy pretending to be a pirate and running around with a cutlass for a joke.  There may be a few people who would like to stick that cutlass up his arse but I don't think that is gender based either.

And again, with the 'real thoughts' filter applied...  >:D

:laugh:

How did you read my mind?  I had " and do things to him with it" but I changed it so I wouldn't scare the Devil's Advocate.

Myself and the devil's advocate have nothing in common. You can say anything you want and it won't scare me. :arrr: